Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2003 10:29:06 AM EDT
Has anyone used an ATN ultra sight to co witness? It is similar to the Hakko sight. Do I need a riser or with it mate up without?

My iron sight is a standard front sight and an arms 40 on the back of a flat top.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I installed one of the ATN Digital Ultra sights on my Bushmaster and using a drop-down mounting arm off of the carry handle

-----\______

the unit is still not lined up correctly. I ended up just moving it to the top of the handle in order to still be able to use the iron sights.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
You should be ok with just the #40.  The #40 actually may sit a little low in the ATN's  FOV, but you definitely do not need a riser.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is what I found out. The ATN works OK but it's a little long. With the ARMS 40 flipped up the ATN bumps the ARMS. I can slide the ATN forward so that the front clamp of the ATN is partially off the flattop, and lock it down. However, it doesn't seem very secure hanging off the front. I have a free float tube on the rifle, so I'm trying to see if I can extend the "weaver" out on to the free float without droping a bundle. If not I have another carbine project I can put it on that has handguards. I think I can just buy the RAS panels and secure them to the handguards.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what a "bundle" would be, but if you can get your front sight off (i.e. you don't have a permanently attached muzzle device) you could remove your free float tube and replace it with a C-More Scout rail.  Last time I looked, [url]www.fultonarmory.com[/url] had them for $125, or they have a modular rail float tube for $79 without any rails, with a 4" rail costing an additional $20...

OR, if you're really handy with a drill press, you could drill and tap your existing float tube and install the rail yourself.

And one last thought...  As long as the locking nut on the front is still on the rail, and as long as you have one cross bolt in a rail slot, I would think that it should be sturdy enough hanging slightly off the front.  Then again, if the ARMS bumps the sight only slightly, yet still stands all the way up, and it still works... I wouldn't think it should hurt anything.  Bumping into the sight will be just as repeatable as bumping into the "stop" on the ARMS...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top