BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/17/2019 7:18:02 PM EDT
https://aimsurplus.com/ati-schmeisser-s60-223-5-56-60rd-ar15-magazine/?mc_cid=4d013c8d25&mc_eid=2f3776db6d

Are these things any good.  The email from Aimsurplus is the first I’ve heard of them?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#2]
My friend has the Surefire 60rd mag of the same style as the ATI. So far so good at the range. Havent tested it out besides at the range, but it works in his Keltec 5.56 with no problems.

I own a few ATI rifles and they needed some tweaking before they worked right. Don't know how that relates to their mags, but ATI in general is hit or miss IMO.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#4]
There was a discussion about this magazine here a while back, but this is the first time I’ve seen them listed for sale by a regular U.S. vendor. I’ll order one to check it when they get them in stock. I’m curious to see how they work.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Currently shows OOS, but at half the price of a D60 drum that's worth taking a chance.
Would be curious to see how easy they are to load up with something like a Maglula vs loading a D60.

FirearmsBlog did a writeup on these when ATI announced they were importing them, I've not found much in the way of personal posts on these but the design is kinda clever.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember viewing their promo video some months back and was looking forward to trying them.  Note in the video how it doesn't drop free from the rifle.

Shot Show 2019 - New Schmeisser AR15/M4 60rds Polymer Stick Magazine

Wish I caught that email from AIM, I would have jumped on one of those for testing.  Looks like you can still order directly from ATI here, but are $10 more.  https://www.americantactical.us/6088/detail.html

Interesting how no dimensions are listed, even on ATI's site (weight, length, etc).  Can anyone who has received one post such info?  As well as fit in their lowers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Sold out on PSA too. Still gonna wait for some reviews, probably won't be any for more than a week from now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one.  Will post a review after running it through its paces.  Design and spring layout is interesting.  Different than the Magpul patent.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#9]
That looks cool
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one.  Will post a review after running it through its paces.  Design and spring layout is interesting.  Different than the Magpul patent.
View Quote
@545fan can you give us measurements (possibly weight as well)?  Do you have a Surefire 60 or D60 to compare it to?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I will do measurements in a bit.  I do have a D60 drum and I’ll do some comparisons.  Unfortunately, I don’t have a scale appropriate for weighing them, though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, here are some pics.  Sorry I can’t weigh them.  The construction and feel is very much like a PMAG.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Same length as the 40 pmag or a little shorter?
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
A little shorter.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks good - thanks for the comparison photos. I love the compactness and reliability of the D60, but it’s a heavy, expensive mag. I’ll definitively pick up one of these as soon as they show back up in stock.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I originally posted this in the GD thread, but I think it fits here too.

Just got my first two from AIM. Overall they look good. They are a bit on the long side. Locks in fully loaded with a tap. The transition happens at round 18. You can feel the second spring engage as it's much stronger than the top spring. Being made from polymer, they have molded in guides for the bullets and two followers. I think this design will help prevent problems in the transition. They appear to convert each side to a single column and then merge those two columns. Adds a bit more length, but will hopefully solve transition issues.

Here are the pictures I took.
Size comparison.
Attachment Attached File

Disassembled.
Attachment Attached File

Close up of the two followers.
Attachment Attached File

Internal molded guides.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I should have added a Pmag 40 to my picture.  I've had good luck using 40's off of bipods, so the S60 should work pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh wow, it looks quite a big longer than a Surefire 60.  I did not expect that!  Do you have a digital scale where you can weight it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll try and weigh one when my new ones show up in a few days.  My first two are loaded already.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Can you weigh the loaded ones?
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll try and do it tonight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like a good mag to try out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can you weigh the loaded ones?
View Quote
Schmeisser S60 loaded with 55gr Winchester. 2lb 1.8oz.

Magpul D60 loaded with 55gr Winchester. 2lb 12.8oz.

Surefire 60 loaded with 55gr Federal. 2lb 0.4oz.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you!

Wow, so even though it is longer by a couple inches, it is still very close in weight to the Surefire.  That is great news!
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thank you!

Wow, so even though it is longer by a couple inches, it is still very close in weight to the Surefire.  That is great news!
View Quote
Glad I could help

Pretty close in weight and looks about ~1.25in longer.  I'll try and measure length sometime.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Need some range reporting too
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
yes!
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#29]
It's going to be a few weeks before I get to fire it. I took some pics with the Surefire. It's barely over 3/4 in longer.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Here it is with a 40rd pmag. Almost identical in length.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Great info, thanks for posting. Look forward to how it does at the range.

In terms of the Surefire 60, my buddy has a new production one. 600rds and counting without a single malfunction through that magazine.

So it seems that there's hope for newer production quad stacks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Great info, thanks for posting. Look forward to how it does at the range.

In terms of the Surefire 60, my buddy has a new production one. 600rds and counting without a single malfunction through that magazine.

So it seems that there's hope for newer production quad stacks.
View Quote
I've had good Surefires and bad Surefires.  Good ones have ran great with every brass cased round I put through them. Bad ones had to be sent back as they failed all the time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've had good Surefires and bad Surefires.  Good ones have ran great with every brass cased round I put through them. Bad ones had to be sent back as they failed all the time.
View Quote
Were any of the bad ones recent production?

There seems to be some consensus that the original SF 60's were hit or miss, while the newer production models seem to be reliable with brass cased.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I've had mine for several years.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Run steel case thru it please.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#37]
"The Gun Dock" has it for $47 (cheapest I've seen) and cheaper shipping than Palmetto (about $8 for priority).  That's where I ordered mine.  Ordered it Sunday, and it arrived on Wednesday!

https://store.thegundock.com/product-search-results?search_text=+SCHMEISSER

BTW, it weighs only 1.5 ounces more than the Surefire 60!  Though is just under an inch longer.  I think a lot of that is because it has an ultra thick baseplate.  Most likely designed to help protect against a drop.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Run steel case thru it please.
View Quote
this please
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#39]
I am really hoping for a review from @mrgunsandgear
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am really hoping for a review from @mrgunsandgear
View Quote
As @Mrgunsngear I concur
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

As @Mrgunsngear I concur
View Quote
You kill me...

Please shoot some Steel case thru it please....
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Looks good - thanks for the comparison photos. I love the compactness and reliability of the D60, but it’s a heavy, expensive mag. I’ll definitively pick up one of these as soon as they show back up in stock.
View Quote
D60 also sucks to load
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

As @Mrgunsngear I concur
View Quote
Oops I thought it was an “and” instead of “n”.

I do like your reviews. Very easy to follow and to the point. If you can get your hands on one of these mags to test out you certainly have my appreciation. I have too much stuff sitting in boxes that I tried and then later realized I wasted my money on. I won’t buy one of these mags until it has been tested under at least semi normal use conditions.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Oops I thought it was an "and" instead of "n".

I do like your reviews. Very easy to follow and to the point. If you can get your hands on one of these mags to test out you certainly have my appreciation. I have too much stuff sitting in boxes that I tried and then later realized I wasted my money on. I won't buy one of these mags until it has been tested under at least semi normal use conditions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As @Mrgunsngear I concur
Oops I thought it was an "and" instead of "n".

I do like your reviews. Very easy to follow and to the point. If you can get your hands on one of these mags to test out you certainly have my appreciation. I have too much stuff sitting in boxes that I tried and then later realized I wasted my money on. I won't buy one of these mags until it has been tested under at least semi normal use conditions.
Also, as part of the testing, someone PLEASE drop a partially loaded one to see what happens.
I have Surefire 60 rounders that function just fine... unless they're dropped partially loaded.  It scrambles up the bullets, springs and followers.
If that happens with these mags, I'll just stick to my Magpul D60s.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#45]
After reading the thread on Enos forums, I decided to hand cycle some steel case. I had some Golden Tiger laying around and loaded 60 up. I hand cycled five rounds then pulled the mag out and dropped it on the ground from a ~2ft. Then I put it back in and repeated the process. The stack never jammed up from the drops. Twice I left the mag in the rifle and dropped the whole rifle on the bottom of the mag. Again, no stack jams.

I did have two times I let the BCG down too slow and caused it to hang before it stripped the round out of the mag. Both times I pulled the charging handle all the way back, released it and they went right in.

Golden Tiger is laquer coated. Surefires always gave me issues with poly coated. I'm going to try and find some poly coated steel and repeat the test.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Hand cycling isn't quite the same as actual firing, though it can sometimes give you some sort of idea.

I would love to see this paired up against the newest gen Surefire (with the upgraded follower that sticks up in the front) and a D60.  Some reliability tests and maybe even a drop test comparison between the 3.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd like to see this tested upside down from a bipod w/ an offset red-dot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
"The Gun Dock" has it for $47 (cheapest I've seen) and cheaper shipping than Palmetto (about $8 for priority).  That's where I ordered mine.  Ordered it Sunday, and it arrived on Wednesday!

https://store.thegundock.com/product-search-results?search_text=+SCHMEISSER

BTW, it weighs only 1.5 ounces more than the Surefire 60!  Though is just under an inch longer.  I think a lot of that is because it has an ultra thick baseplate.  Most likely designed to help protect against a drop.
View Quote
Thanks for the link brother....I ordered one from these guys to test out.  The price, and reviews sound most excellent.

Looking forward to getting this particular mag in the mail.   TBH, 60rds is about the biggest mag I can imagine needing.  I'd love a big ole drum one day, but until then PMAG 40s, and maybe these will have to hold me over.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#49]
If anyone can make a Quadstack work it's the Germans and I believe the reasoning behind the mag being longer is so you can insert a loaded magazine easily and for easy loading unloading.  Germans like to add extra length for that purpose and it's for reliability as well for longer lasting mag they love to over engineer things I know just from owning HK guns 94,93,91 and a MK23 you come to see even in their mags all seat very easy on bolt closed hell my MK 23 can feed 13rnds in the mag even though its 12rnd capacity that is for seating full mags easily. I am going to buy one I am sure these are going to work. I also believe with the added length they are using a longer stronger spring than the Surefire mag that had reliability issues.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'd like to see this tested upside down from a bipod w/ an offset red-dot.
View Quote
Or better yet, the realistic "SAND TORNADO" of death!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top