Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2004 12:08:35 AM EDT
print this grapic, and place it about 20 feet in front of you.

use both eyes, then one eye at a time.  You can diagnose your astigmatism if at distance, these circles start to appear odd shaped, and no longer concentric.  My circles tend to start to look triangle shaped near the center.  (I have a -.25 added to my perscription for astigmatism.)

if you see discrepancies in this graphic, at any distance, this will explain any discrepancies in your red dot scope that you may have, assuming that the scope is in correct working order.  perscription lenses or contacts will reduce this effect.

graphic

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:24:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
perscription lenses or contacts will reduce this effect.

Yes, contact lenses can correct astigmatism, but only those specifically designed to do so (e.g., "toric" lenses).  

My previous lenses (same brand, but NOT a toric lense) did NOTHING for my astigmatism.  My new lenses - the Acuvue Toric - correct BETTER than my (new) glasses.  

A good explanation of the toric lenses:

www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/torics.htm
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Heh, my eyes are so bad that just looks like a big blurry circle from 20 feet away.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I told my eye Dr I can't always see the red dot on my rifle as a circle.  She (yes she) said to make sure I'm not squinting either eye.  If I do, the lens of the eye will be distorted and the dot will look like a grain of rice.  So now, I force my self to shoot with both eyes open, even with iron sights.

If you have astigmatism, the dot will look like a grain of rice with no correction and will rotate as you tilt your head.  You can get contacts that correct astigmatism, but they are 2 - 3 time more than regular contacts.  I'd rather by the $1 disposible contacts.  Or better yet, I wear my corrective shooting glasses.

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You can get contacts that correct astigmatism, but they are 2 - 3 time more than regular contacts.  I'd rather by the $1 disposible contacts.  Or better yet, I wear my corrective shooting glasses.

Correcting astigmatism isn't *just* relative to your red dot scope.  In fact, if you drive, I'd be correcting it for THAT before I'd be correcting it for plinking.

I was amazed at the difference between my standard disposable lenses and my toric disposables.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You can get contacts that correct astigmatism, but they are 2 - 3 time more than regular contacts.  I'd rather by the $1 disposible contacts.  Or better yet, I wear my corrective shooting glasses.

Correcting astigmatism isn't *just* relative to your red dot scope.  In fact, if you drive, I'd be correcting it for THAT before I'd be correcting it for plinking.

I was amazed at the difference between my standard disposable lenses and my toric disposables.

It depends how bad the astigmatism is.

I had a "minor" one diagnosed years ago in my primary eye. All the doctors that did eye exams, for corrective lenses, said it was too minor to need treatment.

I never had any trouble driving because of it.

More serious astigmatisms could/should be treated.

I recently had Lasik surgery, which also corrected the astigmatism. Very little difference, except during shooting. There it made a large difference, because I apparently couldn't obtain consistent site alignment.

I think shooting is a more eye complex task, because you are focusing on a site, and a target that can be very far apart.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]
This graphic i posted is to diagnose MILD cases of astigmatism that MAY be causing red dot discrepancies with those people who are UNAWARE of their astigmatism.

If you have a need for toric lenses and the such, then this small test is what you might call, under kill.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]
it looks all jacked at 20 feet for me.
My red dot has this gh3y stretching halo around it, as all red dots ive seen.
Even when watching film a football practice when my coach hits the screen with a laser pointer, it looks just like my reflex sight.

MY eye doctor basically told me i couldn't do much about it.

I really should seek a second opinion.

My contact precription is -5.5 right now, and needs to be strengthened a bit for sure.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top