Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 4:26:41 PM EDT
First off, I'd do a search on this topic if I could. I'm having some trouble getting my Bronze membership activated...

Secondly, I pretty sure everyone is going to tell me to get an ARMS #40, but I'm looking to save a buck.

Now to the question. Does anyone have any experince with the ASA Flip Up rear sight that Brownell's offers? I'll just be using it for a back up for my Eo-tech on my 16" Bushmaster. It'll be for 3-gun and any defensive situation that might arise.

Thanks,

Howard
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:36:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By howardwalker: I'll just be using it .. defensive situation that might arise.
View Quote
Its your life on the line - don't you deserve the best? If you have 1*, why risk it on a cheap pot metal copy?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:40:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2003 4:41:32 PM EDT by howardwalker]
Thanks Forest. I guess that was what I was kind of getting at. Is the ASA just a copy? Or is it the same sight as the GG&G with a different name on it? I take if from your comment that it is a copy? Howard
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:23:31 PM EDT
hi howard, its funny, ive been looking into the asa flip up sight and in fact i called asa this morning....their sight is not a gg&g with an asa label, they told me that it is manufactured in house by asa (even though gg&g in tucson is a stone's throw away from phoenix). also, the brownells description is inaccurate...the asa sight is not all steel, its aluminum like the gg&g, with steel peep disc and attaching hardware. also, the asa does not have the gg&g locking mechanism....its a ball bearing detent lock up.....btw, asa is having a sale on it for 79.95 (like brownells reg price)....hth imho, i like this style of buis, its low profile where the arms has some clearance issues with acogs (save for the 40-L). i just wonder about the positive lockup of the thing....gg&g has that over the asa version. im opting for a gg&g... mc
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:36:57 PM EDT
There has never been a good way to (lock up) a folder. If you want a sight up all the time that doesn't break it can only be rugged enough if it is a cut off or newly made A2 type. If a folder is locked up, it will break faster than you can say oh shit. Simply because there can't be enough material there and be a folder that sustains much of a hit. Been experimented with several times by many. That's why the #40's are so popular, there rugged, but if hit they give like a tree in the wind when hit, but go right back into position instead of breaking. Food for thought. Good shootin, Jack
Top Top