Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/5/2005 10:59:38 PM EDT
Hey all.  I was studying up on match class riflery for NMC-style high power competition, and was wondering something-  I've seen plenty of M1A's in .308 being used, plenty of space guns (basically AR actions) in .223, and the odd .308 bolt gun.

So how come nobody uses all the new ARs that are out there in .308?  The caliber is obviously good for the distances required, and people obviously like using the basic AR design (as evidenced by all the space guns with floating tube guards,) so why are ARs in .308 not being used?

Or are they?  

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The only place I've seen any 308 ARs in competition is in IPSC in the new Heavy Metal division.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#2]
They are being used, but the few people that do use them invest tons of money to make them work in smaller, less kicking calibers like 6mm/250 or 260 Remington.  AR10s have a reputation for unreliability.

David Tubb (who dominates highpower) used a Knight SR25 for three years, had beaucoup problems trying to make it work in 260 Rem, and won only one national title in those three years.  He then abandoned it and went back to kicking ass and taking names with bolt guns (Model 70s at first, then his own design TUBB 2000).

For the money you will shell out for a tricked out AR10, you are WAY better off buying or building a custom bolt gun in the same caliber.  It will be lots cheaper in the long run and dead reliable.  And no, a bolt action is not a handicap in rapid fire.  Most of the people who claim that have never used one in competition.  BTDT.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep!  The AR10 sounds good in concept but the execution leaves lots to be desired.  In Service Rifle the AR15 is the way to go now.  I still have my bolt guns but shoot them seldom as with all my health problems I like the lighter AR's.  Someday I'll build up a bolt gun in 223 just for fun.  My ideal right now would be a Douglas contour #5 twenty six inches long, 1x7 or so twist,  chambered for 223 Wylde.  Actually, all I need is a barrel blank.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

Phil
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In Service Rifle the AR15 is the way to go now.  

I'm sure you know this, but for the new guys interested in the sport, the AR10 is not, nor will it ever be, an approved service rifle for competiton.  Mostly because it was never a general issue service rifle of the US Armed Forces.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup SWO_daddy I should have finished my thought there.  The AR10 is and always be stuck in Match Rifle class, where it just doesn't cut it.  The M1A is legal as a service rifle, but it has a hard time against the AR15's.  Hard to believe the little gun has come this far.  I remember when they first came out, no one gave them the chance of a snowball in hell of ever shooting well.  

Phil
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top