Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2006 5:59:00 PM EDT
I just bought a super clean upper & the guy thinks it's a Bushy????
How can you guy's tell what brand an upper is???
other than a 4DI1 on the front sight I see no marks like the C and AF on my colt.
The fit and  finish  match my colt perfect!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If the barrel is Bushmaster, it should be marked as so, i.e. "B MP......" etc.  The only thing on my Bushmaster upper is an "A" (Anchor) forge mark, but lots of companies are using these uppers (Stag being one of them).  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#3]
OK ... I found this thread....
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=223495
my gun doesn't match the pictures 100% ..... I found the "keyhole" symbol www.chameleonweaponry.com/dr-arf/UM_COLT_CERRO.jpg up by the rear sight (A2 model) and the lettering on the barrel matches the LMT "5.56 NATO 1/9"www.chameleonweaponry.com/dr-arf/BBL_LMT_11.5_SS_1-9_5.56.jpg but my barrel isn't stainless it's black......
So do I have a LMT barreled colt upper???
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]
any other marking on the barrel? B MP, if there is no "B" on the barrel odds are you do not have a bushmaster.  Far upper reciver  and front sight base markings,  bushmaster does not mark those.
Only markings you will find on the upper reciver are the markings of the foundrey of where it was forged. Beyond that you cant tell who assemblied the upper.

edit it should read something like this

B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
but my barrel isn't stainless it's black......

Stainless can be blackened.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#6]
If you didnt buy it direct from the manufacturer you will never know what kind of upper it is.  Unless the maker specifically marks them like Colt.  But the majority dont do that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
but my barrel isn't stainless it's black......

Stainless can be blackened.

it's not stainless... but it is chrome lined
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm surprised!!!!!
with the wealth of knowlege on the "Black Gun" in this forum I 1/2 expected to be called an idiot with several replies with links to threads covering this very subject!!!
I'm surprised the "keyhole" by the rear sight isn't a clue to the maker of the upper???
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm surprised!!!!!
with the wealth of knowlege on the "Black Gun" in this forum I 1/2 expected to be called an idiot with several replies with links to threads covering this very subject!!!
I'm surprised the "keyhole" by the rear sight isn't a clue to the maker of the upper???

Open your mouth wide, here is a spoonfull............

Cerro Forge made the raw forging for the upper.

Like I said before its IMPOSSIBLE to now who milled it after that unless you bought it directly from the factory.  And even then it could have been milled by a third party.

So you will never know.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm surprised!!!!!

Like I said before its IMPOSSIBLE to now who milled it after that unless you bought it directly from the factory.  And even then it could have been milled by a third party.

So you will never know.

point taken..... so your telling me that every manufacturer that builds AR15/M16 uppers buys from Cerro Forge???? or does that rule out some manufacturers??? That would be a clue.
If Bushmaster puts a "B" on  everything I know the barrel and the upper are NOT bushmasters.... That is a CLUE!
The rear sight (A2) has the adjustment for elevation  (drop) when did that start???
Can I tell who DIDN'T make this upper & barrel????
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm surprised!!!!!

So you will never know.

point taken..... so your telling me that every manufacturer that builds AR15/M16 uppers buys from Cerro Forge???? or does that rule out some manufacturers??? That would be a clue.
If Bushmaster puts a "B" on  everything I know the barrel and the upper are NOT bushmasters.... That is a CLUE!
The rear sight (A2) has the adjustment for elevation  (drop) when did that start???

Mattel
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm surprised!!!!!

So you will never know.

Cerro Forge marks their raw forgings with a Keyhole mark.  Anyone can buy the forge and mill it.  Colt, Bushmaster, RRA etc.  Every Bushmaster upper i have owned didnt have any B mark on it.  Thats a new one to me.  Now when I am talking about upper i do not inlude the barrel, just the upper.

Not every manufacturer buys their forgings from Cero.

Do some searches on "Keyhole" and "Splintered A."

The only people I know off the top of my head who actually mark their uppers are Colt, LMT (but even they sometimes dont mark them), RRA if its a complete rifle and relatively new, and Mega.  Again, just because they marked it doesnt mean they actually milled it.  They could have sub contracted it out.  I would say the ONLY safe bet on an upper if you just HAVE to know who milled it are Stag/CMT or LMT.  Everyone else is pretty much a crap shoot unless you know some first hand information.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank You... I guess I won't worry about it!!!
I've owned 8 COLT AR's now... this is my first "build" & I'm very Impressed with the fit/finish to my current Colt AR!!! it's a "Tank" upper (11 1/2 barrel)  that looks like the barrel has been replaced by the marks on the barrel nut & I just was hoping to find out who built it!!! Iron sights were "dead nuts on" from the first shot & I'll bet my MOA is real close to my 20" Match Target Competition HBAR!!! I shot 500 rds of wolf ammo this AM without a problem.... when I find a product that works this well I try to stick with it, but it looks like that's not going to happen, this was bought from an estate sitting in a safe with no paperwork!!!
John
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
<----- my title changed!!!! I paid my dues I'm so impressed with AR15.com
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
<----- my title changed!!!! I paid my dues I'm so impressed with AR15.com

Good for you.  I believe in supporting anything you love in life.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Now that I've found this forum I feel CONFIDENT in building one!!!
I've already found a gunsmith (on here) close to home that can make the "custom" parts I want with the correct finish!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top