Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/30/2003 3:40:36 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me how it would work if I buy a rifle from an individual priveatly in NY and I live in NJ also a private citizen?
Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:58:53 PM EDT
The person you buy it from would have to take the rifle to a licensed FFL dealer and have it shipped to a licensed FFL dealer in NJ. There you would have to just show id and pay a fee.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:00:49 PM EDT
I don't think it has to be shipped from a Licensed FFL but has to go to one??
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:25:06 PM EDT
ATF rules state that in a state to state transfer if must be shipped to an FFL dealer. The person shipping the firearm does not have to be a FFL dealer. There is nothing illegal about a person shipping a firearm to a FFL dealer in another state to tranfer to a resident of that state. however, some dealers will not accept any firearm unless it comes from a FFL holder. That just a dealer policy only not a legal issue. So have the person you are selling it to find a dealer that is ok with this.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:35:47 PM EDT
Many FFL holders will not send a signed copy of their FFL to a non-license holder because of fraud. I will not give mine to an individual because of this. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it safeguards my livelyhood. BTW. Sometimes it is hard to get any of these shippers to send anything that resembles a gun. In most cases you will have to send it dealer to dealer because of that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:41:26 PM EDT
I take no offense that's why I asked for advice.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:34:42 PM EDT
Have you gone for the NJ Firearms ID card? You should get that for less hassels. For an FFL in NJ purchase you need one and a DL usually.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:40:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Medic-1: I take no offense that's why I asked for advice.
View Quote
Good and CHEAP organization to join if you live in NNJ is [url]www.anjrpc.org[/url] AND a bene is you get free, yes free, legal advice, from lawyers associated directly with the organization. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:27:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ardy: The person you buy it from would have to take the rifle to a licensed FFL dealer and have it shipped to a licensed FFL dealer in NJ. There you would have to just show id and pay a fee.
View Quote
JUST PLAIN WRONG!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:29:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gunluster: Many FFL holders will not send a signed copy of their FFL to a non-license holder because of fraud. I will not give mine to an individual because of this. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it safeguards my livelyhood. BTW. Sometimes it is hard to get any of these shippers to send anything that resembles a gun. In most cases you will have to send it dealer to dealer because of that.
View Quote
Another call to WAKE_UP...It's done ON-LINE Dude!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:24:58 PM EDT
In NY state, there is a state law, FFL can only accept and send firearms to and from known FFL holders.
Top Top