Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2003 5:20:59 PM EDT
Can any one recomend a spray on finish I can use on my AR or 1911 that would be oil and heat resistant and one I would not have to bake and its got to be fairly durable and scratch resistant.Baking would be OK for the 1911 cause its smaller but for the AR I would prefer not to have to bake it on,what do you folks recomend?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Duplicolor 1200 deg ceramic engine paint.  

I use it on a lot of stuff.  I like it better than Alumahyde (which I also have four different colors of).  Duplicolor doesn't take two weeks to cure, either.  I have it on three of my FALs, a couple AKs, and just did my most recent AR build in it.  

Duplicolor is available at any Autozone.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks omar Im gonna check it out,does it come in black? and does it need to be baked or cured for any legnth of time?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I just applied rustleoum textured (black of course) to an upper.  it seems pretty durable.  I let it cure 24 hours.  No baking involved.  It matches the lower pretty well also.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Bat man is it oil resistant?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#5]
The AR is valuable enough to warrant some good weapons paint.  Try [url=http://www.lauerweaponry.com/]Lauer Custom Weapons[/url] paints.  They do not require baking.  But if you like, you CAN bake them, and if you do, it bakes at a really LOW temp (120deg I think).  They sell nice kits with airbrush stuff.  Not the cheapest I guess, but really good stuff, very scratch resistant.  Bake or no bake, your option - read about it on their website.  I have seem some finished guns by them, very nice indeed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:20:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Agree with AKMike you spend the money to buy the rifle then spend the money on the right paint.ARs are not cheap toys so dont cheapen them with the wrong paint
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks omar Im gonna check it out,does it come in black? and does it need to be baked or cured for any legnth of time?
View Quote

DH 1602 is High Heat Black.  It's been on one of my frequently fired FALs for a year and a half and still looks like new.  

It should set for a few days as it is susceptable to wear if you handle it right after application.  I've set it outside in TX sun for a day or two.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#8]
To MIKE and LUVTOSHOOT lauer has some good stuff Im gonna order thet for the AR and where my 1911 is a beater chineese model I got a can of the paint OMAR recomende just to experiment with and see.The norinco had like close to zero finish when I bought it for a paltry $200 bucks but on a preban AR Im going with lauer because its proven and even though a little more expensive it comes highly recomende,I emailed them and they took the time to tell me the dos and donts and were vey nice,Im doing the pistol saturday so ill post a result when I apply and shoot and handle it.Thanks guys...927
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To MIKE and LUVTOSHOOT lauer has some good stuff Im gonna order thet for the AR and where my 1911 is a beater chineese model I got a can of the paint OMAR recomende just to experiment with and see.The norinco had like close to zero finish when I bought it for a paltry $200 bucks but on a preban AR Im going with lauer because its proven and even though a little more expensive it comes highly recomende,I emailed them and they took the time to tell me the dos and donts and were vey nice,Im doing the pistol saturday so ill post a result when I apply and shoot and handle it.Thanks guys...927
View Quote

Oh my gawd!  Someone else with a Norinco!  Spooky.  I bought a 1911 Norinco new for $235 a long while back, blued variety.  The only parts left that are original is pretty much the frame and inner grip parts.  I shoot the crap out of it ALL the time, very reliable, even when it was still all stock (it my left over parts project pistol these days)  Had to replace the recoil spring though.

Must say for some real down and dirty operation, the high temp black sprays, like those meant for BBQ grills, engines, and such, actually work well and some match the black of the black receivers.

I think you will be pleased with the Lauer, it's what I want when I go try my hand at camo.  It's so easy to use, and no high temps involved, no MEK's and such.  I think a little paint will go a long way, so if you don't like the spray paint omar recommended, you can use the left over LCW paint.  Let us know how it turns out model927!

Aw heck, you make me want to paint my Norinco now...[:P]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#10]
 mike Its good to know Im not the only one using the norinco as a beater/try it on the norinco before doing it on something else pistol,Im leaving work early today so I can pick up the paint,dont want to wait till saturday and except for the grip screws every other 1911 part fits I just have to change the screw bushings next.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I used the paint on the pistol and it is great.A nice matte black and smooth like the powder coating on a K-Bar blade,looks brand new and oil does not effect the finish,looks great.Thanks OMAR
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top