Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2004 8:50:06 AM EDT
I got the one-piece armalite mount for my flattop AR.  It was the only one that actually pushes the scope far forward enough, but it is still too friggin low (1.2" instead of 1.4").

Do all AR mounts suck, or what?  I see a lot of scopes mounted with regular type high rings, but the rear lens of the scope is way way way too far back.

Am I the only one who minds having the scope too low or pushed back into his eyeball?  Or am I missing something?

It seems to me that the scope centerline should match the height of the iron peep sights and the rear lens should be positioned about even with the end of the charging handle.

I think maybe a lot of guys mount their scope too far back.  Your scope should be mounted so that you can get the full view plus a little bit forward in case you happen to get exited and place your head too far forward.  I always mounted sopes too far back until I limp-wristed my 45-70 and bashed myself in the eyebrow with my scope. his
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#1]
check out Larue.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The Armalite scope mount actually is very good.  It may be too low depending on what scope you are using.  Mine worked out perfectly for a 3-9x40 scope.  If you want to raise it you can get the appropriate risers from YHM  or from Bushmaster
Here is my AR with the Armalite mount.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Most scopes that are on the market today were designed for a bolt action rifle. Eye relief for the AR-platform rifle was never a design consideration.This fact is compounded when you try to use one of the short tubed "compact" scopes. Generally speaking the mounting surface on the standard flat top upper is too short for proper mounting of these scopes.

There are several ways to overcome this problem. Of course, one way is to change to a scope that was designed for the AR. The Leupold MR/T series comes to mind. I use one on my Mk12 MOD1 with a set of ARMS #22H rings. Works perfectly. Many folks are not going to go to this kind of expense, or have a favorite scope that they want to use on their AR, so another approach must be taken. Here are some other solutions that I've personally used:

If your scope has a long enough tube you can use the Badger Ultra High rings. They have a height of 1.4" over the base and a scope with the right proportions will allow you to position it far enough foward to maintain the correct eye relief. I use them with a Leupold LR M3 3.5x10 Tactical.

You can use a mount like the B-Square (also supplied by Colt in their CR6724). It will allow a foward scope mounting position and is high enough for a good cheek weld. I use one with a Weaver KT15 on my CR6724.

Another way to skin this cat is to use an extended rail such as the ARMS. That will give you great flexibility in scope mounting, as it puts more mounting slots forward over the handguard area. These rails typically raise the base surface .5", so you'll need to use rings with a height of about .850" to 1.00".

HTH
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The Armalite scope mount addressed the problem of not enough eye releif.  It does allow you to mount your scope far enough forward on the rifle.  The only thing is the height is not perfect for everyone.  For me it worked out perfect and I have perfect cheek weld.  For some it might have to be raised and risers are available.  It is a good mount and even with spacers it won't break the bank like some others out there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I went with the arms trac loc system with med rings and it works like a champ you can get high rings if you want also
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to be petty but, have considered going to an A-2 stock? That fixed all my eye relief problems. But then, I am me and you is you.

Good luck.

SD
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#8]
ARMS #35 with medium rings....
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Another way to skin this cat is to use an extended rail such as the ARMS.

ARMS#38-ex works nicely.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#12]
The Leupold See-Through rings provide enough heighth and are canted forward to provide adequate eye relief for most scopes.  They are 1.4" from the center of the rail to the center of the scope.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top