Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 12:21:58 AM EDT
What type of Ammo do you use? M195 type? (55gr) M855 type? (62gr) Another?

What barrel twist does your pistol have? What brand?

I'm just curious. I don't have or expect to own an AR15 pistol, but those things just look too cool! I saw Bushmasters Carbon Version with a 1:9 twist barrel, and thought I saw a 1:7 twist barrel on another. I was just wondering what type of rounds would be preferred for guns like these. My guess would be the lighter the better, being that the barrels are so short, but I could be wrong. I am new to this stuff! (AR15's)

Thanks for the info.

E
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]
wolf  1 in 9
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#2]
All of the 6.5/7.5s have a 1/9 twist, use anything up to 62 grains, the 1/7s could theoretically use up to 77gr or so, but out of that barrel, NOTHING will fragment, so just shoot cheap 55gr.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!

And thanks again C. Jack! As you know, I have been reading up on Ammo on the Ammo-Oracle which brought up my question on the pistols.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#4]
What about specialty rounds like a 40gr then?  Velocity should improve with the lighter bullet, maybe not to the point where it would fragment, but I would think penetration at least would improve. Ah hell, I guess getting SHOT would hurt like hell regardless eh?

Well, they may not be the most well thought out guns out there, but they sure look COOL. LOL!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#5]
40 gr would shoot flat, still not very powerful.

6.5s are fun as hell, and make quite a boom. Kind of a flamethrower too
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I bet there must be some HUGE fireballs coming out of those things! HooooWeeee!!! LOL!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:47:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I bet there must be some HUGE fireballs coming out of those things! HooooWeeee!!! LOL!

Two or three feet long in the daylight, with the right ammo AND a good flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:54:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I FOUND MY ANSWER!!!

"For police-type work where a soft-point is desired, Winchester's 64 grain PowerPoint (in the Super-X line) and PowerPoint Plus (Supreme line) are top performers.*  It has the advantage of being less sensitive to velocity by relying on bullet expansion rather than fragmentation, and is more consistent over a longer range of velocities.  It would also be a better choice for use in AR-type pistols and short-barreled rifles, where the short barrels impart much lower velocities on the bullets.  The downsides of this round are: questionable stability in 1:12-twist rifles, a smaller wound channel compared to a fragmenting bullet, and a cost of 3-4 times as much as M193."

From the Ammo-Oracle.

Jack....Now you make me wanna get one just for the FIREBALLS LOL!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top