Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2013 6:19:16 AM EDT
Here is what I am facing, have done quite a bit of going back & forth with my FFL dealer on this and I have decided to go with different lower receiver....but I wanted to throw this out to you guys and see if anyone ever ran into this before

Once I received the lower receiver from my local FFL dealer I went to pick it up and he assembled all the parts on it as a bonus buy (that was nice of him) but once I got to his place with my Red X Arms upper kit, he put them together and the very first thing we notice was how the pivot pins snap in, it was extremely tight.  Then next thing he tried was pulling charging handle back and he was struggling, literally pulling it back as hard as he could.  He thought the issue was charging handle so he took another CH and swapped them out, still the same, he tried another CH and still the same.  He lubed it wet and still the same.  At that point I told him to try another one of his upper to see if the issue is the upper since he was leaning toward Red X Arms upper kit.  He pulled another upper from one of his AR and it was exactly the same, so while he had his AR apart I told him to try Red X Arms upper on it and it worked like it was made for it so we know definitely not the upper at this time.  Of course I was running out of time, wife waiting out of her office on the road and I am over an hour away from her and it was cold and getting constant txt telling me where I'll be sleeping that night.....

He lubed the pistol well and send me home with it.  When I got home I was curious as hell on what is the issue so I took my M4 apart and put the upper on my pistol and same issue, tight as hell to push the pins in and pulling charging handle seems incredibly hard, put the Red X Arms upper on my M4 and works like a charm, charging handle pulls back so smooth like a butter, no binding whatsoever  So I told FFL dealer about it that I think the issue is definitely the Phase 5 lower receiver.  I am going to buy another lower receiver and put it together, I will let my FFL dealer check with Phase 5 on this, I don't want to wait weeks to get this B.S. straightened out as he told me it would.  I spoke with someone yesterday regarding this and he mentioned that could be the bolt catch so I removed the bolt catch and tried it without it and still tight as hell so that's not the case.

Any suggestions????

Upper - Red X Arms

Lower receiver - Phase 5

Buffer assembly - Phase 5

Trigger assembly - ACT

Lower parts kit - Spike's

BCG - NiB by Ice Arms

Charging handle - Fortis

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Could be something with the receiver extension. Maybe things aren't lining up correct for the bcg to move.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Could be something with the receiver extension. Maybe things aren't lining up correct for the bcg to move.
View Quote

Nope, sorry I should have mentioned that in my post that we messed with that too, moved it back a bit and still the same, I even tried the upper without the buffer tube and pivot pins go in very tight.....so definitely not the buffer assembly....

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I went and picked up Stag Arms lower receiver from another local FFL dealer, when I mentioned to them about my AR pistol they asked me to bring it in so they can take a look at it to see if they can figure this out for me.  One thing I also failed to mention was I have lubed/oil it a lot and been charging it back & forth and I see improvement, it feels better where I don't have to Hulk it when pulling CH.  

When one of them checked on it they felt it was kind of weird to be tight like that but when he pulled the CH back, he said it should shoot fine and for me to send couple of hundred rounds down range.  It should loosen up after that so I am going to do that but checking with the FFL dealer I bought if from to make sure if I shoot it and something is not right will Phase 5 have a fit for not sending it in to them first to check on it first...so I'll have to wait for him to reply back then heading out to blast some shells.....oh yea, can't wait....either way if he tells me no then I will swap out parts to Stag Arms lower receiver and going out to blast some shells....

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Check to make sure the Phase 5 pistol buffer tube is not installed to far in.   I ran into this issue as I was assembling my pistol.  

The Phase 5 buffer tube has a notch that allows the tube to be installed further then it should be allowed while still allowing the buffer detent to fuciton.   If the buffer is installed to far the tube blocks the bolt and makes the receiver lockup to tight.   I had to back out my Phase 5 buffer tube one or two turns to allow the upper to close and the bolt to funciton.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nope, sorry I should have mentioned that in my post that we messed with that too, moved it back a bit and still the same, I even tried the upper without the buffer tube and pivot pins go in very tight.....so definitely not the buffer assembly....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right under the charging handle the flat on the lower receiver may have to much stock.I recently had a Rainier lower that when assembled I could not pull back the charging handle without excessive force, turns out the flat had a little to much stock on it, I ground off about  1/32 and used hot black to touch it up, no problems after that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Try this: Pull the buffer and spring out and see if there is any heavier scuffing on a specific spot of the inside of the tube. I had an issue with the bolt carrier locking back in the tube without the catch engaging and turned out the receiver tube hole was drilled and tapped a few degrees off and canted the tube when it was installed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Check to make sure the Phase 5 pistol buffer tube is not installed to far in.   I ran into this issue as I was assembling my pistol.  

The Phase 5 buffer tube has a notch that allows the tube to be installed further then it should be allowed while still allowing the buffer detent to fuciton.   If the buffer is installed to far the tube blocks the bolt and makes the receiver lockup to tight.   I had to back out my Phase 5 buffer tube one or two turns to allow the upper to close and the bolt to funciton.

View Quote

I moved it back and still the same...
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Try this: Pull the buffer and spring out and see if there is any heavier scuffing on a specific spot of the inside of the tube. I had an issue with the bolt carrier locking back in the tube without the catch engaging and turned out the receiver tube hole was drilled and tapped a few degrees off and canted the tube when it was installed.
View Quote

Checked that and no issue...
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Right under the charging handle the flat on the lower receiver may have to much stock.I recently had a Rainier lower that when assembled I could not pull back the charging handle without excessive force, turns out the flat had a little to much stock on it, I ground off about  1/32 and used hot black to touch it up, no problems after that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been charging the CH a lot after lube the heck out of the BCG & CH and now it seems much easier to pull, so you may have the answer to this madness.....I will continue charging it and hope to loosen it more and it should be ready to shoot...

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Finally FFL dealer I bought my Phase 5 lower from replied to my email asking me not to send any rounds down range until Phase 5 take a look at the lower, I was not feeling good about doing that anyway so I went and bought another lower receiver while I was picking up lower receiver parts kit, this is from another local gun shop.  I got a deal on Spike's lower receiver & Spike's lower parts kit less trigger/hammer and he sold me ALG (ACT) trigger/hammer for good price so I picked it up as well, then I saw this Spike's block for building or displaying AR rifles so I bought that too....

Got home put that Spike's lower receiver together, then removed the upper from Phase 5 and tried it and HOLY BATMAN.....no tightness at all, pivot/takedown pins go in without having to force them, charging handle pull like a butter, smooth as it should.......switch it back to Phase 5 and pivot/takesown pins are hard to go in and charging handle is not as smooth to pull back but since I have been working it's not as bad as before but I just dont' feel right about it.

I just have a question on my Spike's lower receiver, it has SBR-(serial #) but Cal. Multi so is this lower for SBR or I can use it for Pistol build

I did not look at it until just now....
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
doesn't matter what it is labeled as long as it was not a rifle first, you are fine.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

doesn't matter what it is labeled as long as it was not a rifle first, you are fine.
View Quote

You are exactly right, I just called the shop owner where I bought it from to see how he logged it as and he told me as as long as it's a stripped lower they log them as Other so what I build it as first is what it'll be....so in my case I built it as a Pistol then it'll be pistol....now I can relax and enjoy my AR pistol.  I have to get out there and shoot this thang

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#14]
that sucks to hear op. I hope they make it right by you.

my story with phase 5 stuff:  I had an issue with a phase 5 pistol buffer tube not threading into my 80% lower, come to find out the guy at the shop that sold it to me had the exact same problem . Every other buffer tube I got my hands on worked fine. I'm now using an RRA pistol tube that threaded in like butter. I'd prefer not to have to tap my lower with some hard to find and expensive tap to only have it work with the phase 5 tube when every other in spec tube works fine.

I'm starting to question the QC of phase 5 after this.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

that sucks to hear op. I hope they make it right by you.

my story with phase 5 stuff:  I had an issue with a phase 5 pistol buffer tube not threading into my 80% lower, come to find out the guy at the shop that sold it to me had the exact same problem . Every other buffer tube I got my hands on worked fine. I'm now using an RRA pistol tube that threaded in like butter. I'd prefer not to have to tap my lower with some hard to find and expensive tap to only have it work with the phase 5 tube when every other in spec tube works fine.

I'm starting to question the QC of phase 5 after this.
View Quote

Wow, thanks for sharing your story with Phase 5, until a friend of mine told me that he is getting Phase 5 lower receiver because it has Pistol engraved on it is the only time I have heard of Phase 5 and for that same reason I went along with him and bought mine and I ran into this problem...  He has not put his AR Pistol together yet due to injury to his wrist, since they both came from the same dealer I am wondering if he may have the same issue but we'll know once he is able to work on his pistol.

My next build I am going to stick to name brands I am familiar with like Spike's, Core15, etc......I like Noveske but like buying a Benz, still uses 4 wheels and get from A to B so not wanting to pay high dollar for their name.....
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
you will have to let me know how that redx upper works, been eyeing those or the marks armory ones since they just came back in stock.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

you will have to let me know how that redx upper works, been eyeing those or the marks armory ones since they just came back in stock.
View Quote

Will do.....hoping to take it out in few weeks
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#18]
The latest on Phase 5 lower receiver episode......finally email'd Phase 5 since I was not having any luck with my FFL dealer and chat with a nice gent name Don, he replied to me and told me since Phase 5 parts are lifetime warranty he'll be glad to check on the lower receiver and do whatever is necessary to make things right for me.  I shipped it in to them and once they received it he replied back to me stating lower receiver is in fact out of spec and they will exchange it with a new unit and ship it back to me.  I was worried about paper work since the bad one is still recorded in my name, but they told me they will sign me out of the bad s/n and record me with new s/n, I had to send them a copy of my DL.

I am quite disappointed with FFL dealer I bought this lower receiver, not because I got bad receiver just the way he blew me off after he got the money, not willing to correct the issue for me.  I will never buy anything from him again and hope he doesn't do this to others as well.

I should get my new Phase 5 lower receiver next week which I will keep as a spare and build 300 AAC Blackout rifle down the road when things get a bit better in terms of ammo's & parts prices.

Will take my AR pistol out next weekend and test it out, will report back with how it function.  I am waiting for Wolf upgrade buffer spring for it to use with Spike's H2, it should work well....I am really hoping.....don't want to deal with more issues with it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#19]
for the FFL, I guess that depends.
did he order it for you? that is, did he have it in stock, order it directly that sort of thing like a regular store?
or did he just receive it for you?

if all he did was receive it for you, then I don' t think he had any responsiblitly.

if he ordered it up and picked it out etc.. , then yeah, start looking for a new one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

for the FFL, I guess that depends.

did he order it for you? that is, did he have it in stock, order it directly that sort of thing like a regular store?

or did he just receive it for you?

if all he did was receive it for you, then I don' t think he had any responsiblitly.

if he ordered it up and picked it out etc.. , then yeah, start looking for a new one.
View Quote

Yes, he ordered it for me, also the lower parts kit and on top of that he put the lower receiver together for me and he found out something was wrong with the lower when he tried the complete upper that I purchased and brought over to his place.  I have moved on from this FFL dealer, I am buying my firearm stuff from two other gun shops near me, one shop has pretty much everything a person would want and the other also has a ton of stuff plus lower price than other gun shops.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top