Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 5:37:30 PM EDT
Sig is coming out with their 556 in a pistol format and I'm thinking about getting it. The reason I ask is I like to carry a AR in each vehicle but have nowhere to hide it in my truck. I don't want it anywhere somebody can see it. The sig pistol has a small forearm and would be perfect if I could put a small fold out stock on it. But it seems this would be a SBR and put me in violation. Also, I don't understand why we can't have a SBR without a special permit when we can carry pistols.

Does anybody know the rules so I can stay out of trouble?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:40:29 PM EDT
Pistols don't have stocks or vertical grips.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:47:08 PM EDT
You're asking for ATF LOGIC?!?!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:50:12 PM EDT
The rules: if it has a shoulder stock, it had better have a barrel of at least 16" or it's an SBR. If it doesn't have a stock, it can have a very short barrel, but those vertical foregrips are a problem. Not too difficult to figure out, just kinda odd.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:02:03 PM EDT
Why is it odd? Seems pretty simple. SBR means "short barreled rifle". If it NEVER had a shoulder stock it is NOT a rifle. If you add a forward verticle grip then your pistol becomes an AOW and you would need to pay a $200 "makers tax". If it came from the factory with a forward vert grip or an SOT did the work for you then it would be a $5 "transfer tax".

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:20:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 6:47:07 PM EDT by marmilia]
ATF seems like they make it up as they go

this is classified as a pistol

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:22:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:48:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Duc1:
Sig is coming out with their 556 in a pistol format and I'm thinking about getting it. The reason I ask is I like to carry a AR in each vehicle but have nowhere to hide it in my truck. I don't want it anywhere somebody can see it. The sig pistol has a small forearm and would be perfect if I could put a small fold out stock on it. But it seems this would be a SBR and put me in violation. Also, I don't understand why we can't have a SBR without a special permit when we can carry pistols.

Does anybody know the rules so I can stay out of trouble?

National Firearms Act of 1934
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:02:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By marmilia:
ATF seems like they make it up as they go

this is classified as a pistol

http://i40.tinypic.com/2i6hs0l.jpg

A rifle is a weapon designed to be fired from the shoulder.
I own a mare's leg. If you tried to fire it from the shoulder,
the hammer would put your eye out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:48:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MadDogDan:
Why is it odd? Seems pretty simple. SBR means "short barreled rifle". If it NEVER had a shoulder stock it is NOT a rifle. If you add a forward verticle grip then your pistol becomes an AOW and you would need to pay a $200 "makers tax". If it came from the factory with a forward vert grip or an SOT did the work for you then it would be a $5 "transfer tax".

MadDog

I do believe that what you just described meets the definition of odd. Simple maybe, but still odd. It would make more sense to be able to just walk into a store, or even mailorder whatever firearm I wanted.
Top Top