Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2003 10:52:12 AM EDT
I was thinking if I want to take a 11.5 barrel and use it for a pistol, does the lower I use it on have to ALWAYS be used for that? Could I use that lower for another upper every once in awhile.
Does a 11.5 barrel require a tax stamp has a pistol or short barrel rifle IF it isn't a FULL AUTOMATIC. This is for NY state laws and Nassau County NY gun laws
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the main thing you would have to look at it the 50 ounce maximum for a pistol of this type, thanks to the '94 ban.  A semi-automatic pistol with the magazine outside the grip that weighs over 50 ounces would be an assault pistol, according to the ban requirements.  One big reason they made the Carbon 15 pistol out of graphite was to get it below the 50 oz. maximum.  It has a 7.5" barrel.  To put an 11.5" barrel on it would be fine as long as the weight isn't over 50 oz.  Most people building AR type pistols really have to cut some corners (literally) to comply with the 50 ounce requirement.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
First off, as I understand BATF's current position on this, whether you use a preban lower or a postban lower, it has to be a dedicated pistol lower.  You cannot buy a rifle, remove the stock & buffer, and put a short upper on it.  Once a lower has a stock on it, it is a rifle lower.  Adding a short barrel to that lower creates a SBR (and if its not registered, its an illegal SBR).  Thus you can use different length uppers on a pistol lower, but you can never put a stock on it.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this stems from BATF's desire to prevent people from obtaining a more restricted weapon (a pistol) while only going through the legal process to obtain a less restricted weapon (a rifle/rifle receiver).  
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks that's what I needed to know. I guess it will be easier to make this one into a SBR. So if I want to make the lower I am going to get(Which is a stripped Lower) I have to register it has a SBR. Then that lower can only be used has a SBR? Am I understanding that the right way.
I am going to go to Nassau County to show them what I want to do and ask. I just don't think they are up on any exotic type of weapons or conversions. A friend of mine who is ATF is on a trip and gone for 2 months.
I was going to make a Dissipator upper A3 with this lower I am getting and adding the ACE stock. But the bug for just a 11.5" upper is also tempting.I might add a Phantom suppressor but I don't want to add that 5.5" to make a 16". Might just buy a Carbine which I did already.
If I also understand not a lot of FPS out of the sucker...Good for only close in usage if I had to guess. Yea it might be better a SBR..To much trouble trying to make a pistol right now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A pistol lower has to *start* as a pistol, which means it needs to be bought from your FFL as if it were a pistol.
View Quote

Can you give me a pointer where the regs say it must be bought from your FFL as if it were a pistol?

I am not able to find this in the regulations.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is for NY state laws and Nassau County NY gun laws
View Quote

The closest you will come to what you are looking for is a PREBAN pistol or an AOW like the following:

[image]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/images/TBP/mvc00013.jpg[/image]

at [url]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/TBP/aow.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks that's what I needed to know. I guess it will be easier to make this one into a SBR. So if I want to make the lower I am going to get(Which is a stripped Lower) I have to register it has a SBR. Then that lower can only be used has a SBR? Am I understanding that the right way.
I am going to go to Nassau County to show them what I want to do and ask. I just don't think they are up on any exotic type of weapons or conversions. A friend of mine who is ATF is on a trip and gone for 2 months.
I was going to make a Dissipator upper A3 with this lower I am getting and adding the ACE stock. But the bug for just a 11.5" upper is also tempting.I might add a Phantom suppressor but I don't want to add that 5.5" to make a 16". Might just buy a Carbine which I did already.
If I also understand not a lot of FPS out of the sucker...Good for only close in usage if I had to guess. Yea it might be better a SBR..To much trouble trying to make a pistol right now.
View Quote

WE cant own an SBR or AOW here in NY Marc.  We are a Non NFA state so not even your ATF friend can help you out.  If you want one really bad its going to be the ones paul mentioned
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Tom....If your still going I could use a Lower in 223 or if he has any 308 I would rather get one of them. I got all my FFL stuff figured out and thought I would have the one I ordered today. Turns out it wasn't shipprd by his wife. She didn't see the USPS Priority stuff only the fed-ex.
So I guess I will have to wait till Monday. Thats why from now on I go travel with money to get what I need. I want to go to Quantico anyway to check out the Eagel Blems he has. I also need some tact stuff. I hear he is the man for it. My friend a Marine told me it would be worth a trip. He knows what I build.
SO if you go like I said I will for sure take another lower in 223, BUT if he has any 308 Eagel's I would rather pay for one of those. Contact me before your trip.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top