Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2005 10:03:37 AM EDT
O. K. - - Im a newbe to this site (first post),  as a matter o' fact Im a newbe to the hole rifle world.  I was always a handgun guy.  Anyways Ive seen the light and I am trying to build up my battery with more rifles.  Ive built a bare-bones A2 20'' AR-15 and it (very) quickly became my favorite.  Ive not left it behind when Ive gone out shootin since my first test fire.  Anyways I think its time to move up to a .308.  So my question is - - is it more cost effective to build the thing myselfhe

Thanx all

A handgun is merely a weapon used to fight your way back to your rifle - - which you shouldn't have left behind.
-Boston T.  Party-

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to the Armalite website and look for AR-10.

Go to the Bushmaster website and look for their .308 rifles.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I say just buy one allready built. DPMS also makes one. I can't remember who makes which one, but some use M14 mags (expensive), some use FAL mags (cheap), keep that in mind when shopping for one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
DPMS is lower in price.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been wondring the same thing. Armalite had AR10 lowers for $125 at this years National Matches.  They did have a Blem though the rear takedown pin was off center for this price.  That being the case i decided not to buy one.  They did have a nice .243 Cal flat top upper I should have bought since they don't make them any longer.  

Armalite/ Eagle arms I thought was supposed to be making a polymer (Cav arms) AR10 lower? I wish there were some kits for .308 rifles out there.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get all the parts you need from DPMS to build one of their .308 rifles, even though parts are sometimes hard to find on the website, and some aren't even listed..but they will sell them.  More and more of the .308 stuff is coming on line...I just spent about 20 minutes today on the phone with them chasing down parts and availability.  Just speak to anyone on the sales staff...I've had the opportunity to talk to at least 3 different guys over the last couple of weeks, and they are ALL outstanding.  

Obviously, you'll have to get the lower through your FFL, but that's the only thing you can't order direct.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#6]
But is it cost effective to build it yourself?  From the research that I have done, it seems as though it would be at best a wash between buying a rifle or building from parts.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a low round count AR-10 A4 for $950, added a DD 12.0 rail system for just under $400, an SPR grip for $35 and a VLTOR A1 Modstock for $70.

Without optics, I've got an AR-10 A4 with a rail system and upgraded grip and buttstock for around $1450.  That's not too bad, I think.  I'd go that route.  I looked into building and unless you can run across used (not too many out there) or blemmed parts (Armalite sells some every now and then), it ends up costing more than a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I was lucky enough to live close enough to camp perry to visit Armalite repeatedley while they were there for the matches this summer and I put my AR10 together for $757.oo. I had a detailed post in here with a picture. but it seems to have dissapeared. There are quite a few differences in the parts but there are some parts that will carry over from the AR15. I would reccomend digging around in Armalite's liabrary before building and dont overlook their " Spring cleanup" they often have great prices on blems.  BEST OF LUCK!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top