Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2003 9:19:45 AM EDT
I have a 10/22 that Im getting the barrel threaded for a can. I have found that the thread protectors are going for about $15.00. The threads are 1/2-28. Is that the same as the A2 flash supressor? I figure I can get one of those for about $5.00, and it'll look better.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes the A2 FS for an AR is 1/2-28, is this a pre-ban 10/22?

Mike

BTW, wrong forum....[;)]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a 10/22 that Im getting the barrel threaded for a can. I have found that the thread protectors are going for about $15.00. The threads are 1/2-28. Is that the same as the A2 flash supressor? I figure I can get one of those for about $5.00, and it'll look better.
View Quote

Yes, I did the same thing. a $5 Birdcage for a thread protector.

Be sure to not turn it into a Semi-Automatic Assault Weapon. See 921 (a) 30 [B]:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/921.html
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I did the same thing. a $5 Birdcage for a thread protector.

Be sure to not turn it into a Semi-Automatic Assault Weapon. See 921 (a) 30 [B]:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/921.html
View Quote

the standard 10-22 does not have a pistol grip, bayonet lug or folding stock, so unless it has been modified, it should be OK.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Im farmiliar with the AWB laws. My 10/22 is good there. Thanks for the info all.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Would this give you three evil features, removable magazine, threaded barrel, and a flash suppressor?  I thought that the limit is two?  On our post ban ARs they are the removable magazine and the distinct pistol grip.

And, I wonder that since the 10/22 was not in this configuration before the ban, it may be a post ban gun.  Unless, the 10/22s had been exempted in the list.  Your best bet would be to talk to a good Class III person, or perhaps BATF.

Good shooting!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Would this give you three evil features, removable magazine, threaded barrel, and a flash suppressor?  I thought that the limit is two?  On our post ban ARs they are the removable magazine and the distinct pistol grip.

And, I wonder that since the 10/22 was not in this configuration before the ban, it may be a post ban gun.  Unless, the 10/22s had been exempted in the list.  Your best bet would be to talk to a good Class III person, or perhaps BATF.

Good shooting!
View Quote

The detachable magazine is part of the definition of what cannot have the 3 evil features: "A semi-auto with a detatchable magazine..."  The threaded muzzle and the flash supressor are part of the same "evil part:"  "Flash supressor or grenade launcher or threaded muzzle capable of suporting a flash suppressor/grenade launcher..."
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd get the A1 birdcage soez you don't have to index it every time you put it on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Where are you, or where can anyone, get a 10/22 threaded?  I'd like to do it to mine, but don't know where to go.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#9]
You can actually buy threaded barrels from Federal arms. Don't know if they are quality, but likely you'll pay $100 to have yours threaded anyway and with the fed arms barrel you'd still have your original to put on if the need should arise.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]
BrooklynSouth: The only feaature my rifle has now is, the removable magazine. As I said before, I am farmiliar with the laws, my 10/22 is good.
ar15zams: My class 3 dealer also has a machine shop. He is going to do it for me for $50.00. I would think just about any smith would have the ability to do it. Try calling your local dealer, if he doesn't do that kind of work, he probobly knows somebody who does.
Kletzenklueffer: Thanks for the infor, I'll check them out. Might save me some money. Though I already bought a replacement barrel cheap.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top