Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2011 3:35:11 PM EDT
Hello, I am in pursuit of a stout Midlength 16" AR Build.  I have been reading the forum for some time, below is what I have come up with.  Please let me know what you think.  The price is a link to the product page.

Upper:
-BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ VTAC TRX 13" Handguard $639
-BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto $139.95
-BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch $44.95

Lower:
-Palmetto State Armory CTR Stock Kit - Foliage Green $119.99
-Palmetto State Armory LPK-GMOE $215.00
-PSA AR15 Lower $49.99

Sights:
-BCM Folding Battle Sight - Front - M4 Type - (mfg by Troy Ind) $99.99
-BCM Folding Battle Sight - REAR (mfg by Troy Ind) - Black $119.00

Please let me know if you reccomend another source or a better part for the money.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're going with Palmetto already for other bits, get their lower as well. Its much cheaper than the smith lower and excellent quality.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/1560.php

I have a MP15 and a PSA lower so I can compare the two. really see no differences in quality.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Does everything else look good?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks solid.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I would use that rifle with confidence.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent I can not wait to join the club.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Can probably build a similar upper from PSA parts for less money and match the lower.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Hello, I am in pursuit of a stout Midlength 16" AR Build.  I have been reading the forum for some time, below is what I have come up with.  Please let me know what you think.  The price is a link to the product page.
Upper:

-BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ VTAC TRX 13" Handguard $639

Lower:

-Palmetto State Armory LPK-EMOE $239.95

-PSA AR15 Lower $49.99
Sights:

-AR-15/M16 MBUS GEN 2 SIGHT SYSTEM $89.99
Please let me know if you reccomend another source or a better part for the money.  Thanks

surplus ammo has that sight set on sale for $65, gen 1 though if it matters
http://www.surplusammo.com/magpul-mbus-gen-i-front-rear-sight-set-free-shipping/

Also, riflegear has an upper similar to that one.  Specs look good but I don't think anybody has truly test them yet

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1111-riflegear-16-midlength-vtac-upper.aspx

With the CS10 code, 10% off would save you probably more than $100

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The ONLY thing I don't understand about your projection is the BUIS. Why spend all this money and put on polymer BUIS?

If I were you, with your budget, I'd go with Troy or Matech - something similar (LMT makes a good fixed BUIS; it's what I use).
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Upper:

Lower:
-Palmetto State Armory LPK-EMOE $239.95
-PSA AR15 Lower $49.99

Sights:
-AR-15/M16 MBUS GEN 2 SIGHT SYSTEM $89.99

surplus ammo has that sight set on sale for $65, gen 1 though if it matters

http://www.surplusammo.com/magpul-mbus-gen-i-front-rear-sight-set-free-shipping/

Also, riflegear has an upper similar to that one.  Specs look good but I don't think anybody has truly test them yet

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1111-riflegear-16-midlength-vtac-upper.aspx

With the CS10 code, 10% off would save you probably more than $100

Ill have to research the difference between the gen 1 and gen 2's.  The riflegear upper looks like a good deal, it includes the bcg which would save some.  Ive got more research now.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks great.  Maybe add a Geissele 3 gun trigger latter on.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]
As far as the sights, that is honestly one piece I did not spend much time on.  Ill check out the Troy sights, they seem popular.  Main optic will likely be an EoTech.

Back to the Upper Riflegear uppers are made by Daniel Defense.  Thoughts compared to the BCM?

Do I need a Cold Forged Barrel?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:24:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a DD upper on a PSA lower. finish matches pretty well. the lower is a gnats hair glossier than the upper. Not like i care, but there it is.
Never heard that Riflegears uppers were made by DD, not doubting you, just a bit i was unaware of. my DD upper is cold hammer forged, where as my S&W isn't. Haven't noticed a difference.  

I've got gen 1 magpul MBUS on the DD upper. they work just fine for me. for the cost difference and if you're on a budget, theres nothing wrong with polymer Backup sights, so long as the front isn't mounted directly on a gas block.  i prefer aimpoint over eotech, just because. apples to oranges in that regard.

overall it sounds like you've got a good set up planned.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:34:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've got a DD upper on a PSA lower. finish matches pretty well. the lower is a gnats hair glossier than the upper. Not like i care, but there it is.
Never heard that Riflegears uppers were made by DD, not doubting you, just a bit i was unaware of. my DD upper is cold hammer forged, where as my S&W isn't. Haven't noticed a difference.  

I've got gen 1 magpul MBUS on the DD upper. they work just fine for me. for the cost difference and if you're on a budget, theres nothing wrong with polymer Backup sights, so long as the front isn't mounted directly on a gas block.  i prefer aimpoint over eotech, just because. apples to oranges in that regard.

overall it sounds like you've got a good set up planned.

RG posted that info on m4carbine.com, I'm still going to contact them about it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I think your plan sounds pretty good. I am doing a 14.5 middy build right now myself, and have gone through the research phase like you are doing now. Even though you could save a few bucks going with another brand of upper, you will find that it will be very difficult to find a better upper than the BCM for the money spent. If you look in the EE it is also very easy to find a new, or used BCM middy upper with very few rounds through it to save a few bucks. I just bought mine in the EE and got it this week. It is nearly impossible to tell it was ever fired at all, just like it was described by the seller. It also already had the bayo lug cut off and the FH pinned which was required for the MA AWB already. I have a Spike's Punisher stipped lower that I bought locally, but plan to get the lower kit, and furniture through Palmetto. Because the upper, and the BCG are the most important parts of the rifle, you should stay with the top tier stuff like BCM, because the very small difference in price will be quickly forgotten after it's built, and you will know that you have a top tier rifle you can depend on, and will retain it's value down the road if you decide to sell.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As far as the sights, that is honestly one piece I did not spend much time on.  Ill check out the Troy sights, they seem popular.  Main optic will likely be an EoTech.

Back to the Upper Riflegear uppers are made by Daniel Defense.  Thoughts compared to the BCM?

Do I need a Cold Forged Barrel?

Great choice on the optic. A buddy of mine is a PJ and he said on rotation that he busted a few Aimpoints. Ever since he's been with an Eotech.

As far as BCM, I would put my BCM carbine up against any other; that includes the magical pony factory.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Updated sights to Troys.

Downgraded trigger from the SSA-E to the regular SSA.  This will be a SHTF/Tactical Training Rifle not a bench rest rifle.  Do you guys think this is a good choice?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#17]
IF they're backups, theres nothing wrong with the magpuls.
Further, I've got stock triggers on both my personally owned duty AR and my other. I've never felt the need to upgrade them as they've been just fine for me.

if your budget allows, go for the troys and the upgraded trigger. if not, there's nothing wrong with the former.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#18]
colt is way over rated i know someone who bought a colt the gun was all out of tolerences sold it and bought a LMT MRP hah it is nice and creamy !
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top