Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/17/2005 11:20:21 PM EDT
Are there any drills that can be practiced at home with the AR when you can't make it out to do the real shooting?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:21:57 PM EDT
The ol' blindfold reassembly drill?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:36:15 PM EDT
dry fire. dry fire. dry fire.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:18:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TylerM_8:
Are there any drills that can be practiced at home with the AR when you can't make it out to do the real shooting?hr

*****USING DUMMY ROUNDS AND ALL DRY PRACTICE RULES APPLY*****
* Tac reloads.
* Speed reloads
* Malfunction transitions
* Type 1 malfunction drill
* Type 3 malfunction drills
* Dry fire, Dry fire, Dry fire (Front sight, Press, Suprise break)

And then do it all over again tomorrow

D.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:30:23 AM EDT
Bayonet charges.

Parade Ground Rifle Drills.

Manual of Arms.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:47:34 AM EDT
Reflex firing/quick aiming/snap shooting.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:18:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bblake00:
Bayonet charges.

I tried these at home but the neighbors thought I was nuts marching up and down the street. They finally called the cops when I started stabbing a dummy I had hanging from my tree.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:25:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By QUIB:

Bayonet charges.

I tried these at home but the neighbors thought I was nuts marching up and down the street. They finally called the cops when I started stabbing a dummy I had hanging from my tree.

Fuck'm do it naked and they'll leave you alone.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:13:47 AM EDT

Bayonet charges.

Fuck'm do it naked and they'll leave you alone.

Classic!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:17:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By stoner-srt:
dry fire. dry fire. dry fire.[/quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:16:22 AM EDT
With my platoon, I have them get out weapons and just handle them. TRADOC has already caught on to this method of building weapons handeling skills and basic trainees get weapons earlier than ever before.

Just carrying the weapon around will help your handeling skills (your wife may think your a re crazy though).

Also, already mentioned is dry fire (dime drills), tactical reloads, transitions, clearing malfunctions and I think that is about it.

You could also move to a place where you have more land and you will always be at the range
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:29:25 AM EDT

Bayonet charges.

just made me laugh before going to work.
thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:47:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By darkop:
* Tac reloads.
* Speed reloads

D.

Great points, and well worth doing. Also worth doing is getting a PACT timer and running drills for speed at home.

As alread mentioned, simply having the weapon on you, and getting used to it off the range is something that is very important, but that most people don't think about. Wear your sling around for a few hours and get used to it. The more familiar you are with your weapon, the better you will be.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:02:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By stoner-srt:
dry fire. dry fire. dry fire.

Pratice sight picture with this, pratice with and without barricade support, pratice prone, kneeling and standing both with and without barricade support. And do not forget to pratice with your weak hand side also, all of the same drills.

Something else we can all work on is positioning behind barricades. You need a partner for this, but use a barricade and see how much positoning helps you keep concealed. A lot of times if you back off the barricade a few yards it is more benefitial than being up close to it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:58:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 10:59:24 AM EDT by azhammer]
* Tac reloads.
* Speed reloads

D.

Is there somewhere I can learn about what Type 1 and Type 3 malfunction drills are and how to perform them?

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:21:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 11:27:37 AM EDT by Real_estate_salesman]
I do house clearing exercises. I normally just do it when I come home (and no one else is @ home), I use whatever I have, pistol, shotgun or rifle/carbine, it will really teach you how to clear doorways and round corners and such, I've done it hundreds or thousands of times. I live on a farm, so sometimes I go out and practice sneeking up on a barn, then kicking in the door and hosing it out with lead.

ETA: Oh yeah, go out to a barn, have a friend set up a room with a card table and some manequins, have your friend sit in a chair (without letting you see how he set up the room), then you storm the room with a beta magged AR and shoot all the dummys as fast as you can without hitting your friend. It teachs the friend trust and you not to miss! This is how Delta force trains.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:51:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 11:52:30 AM EDT by azhammer]
ETA: Oh yeah, go out to a barn, have a friend set up a room with a card table and some manequins, have your friend sit in a chair (without letting you see how he set up the room), then you storm the room with a beta magged AR and shoot all the dummys as fast as you can without hitting your friend. It teachs the friend trust and you not to miss! This is how Delta force trains.

UH..........you're crazy, and your friend...........crazy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:04:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Real_estate_salesman:
I do house clearing exercises. I normally just do it when I come home (and no one else is @ home), I use whatever I have, pistol, shotgun or rifle/carbine, it will really teach you how to clear doorways and round corners and such, I've done it hundreds or thousands of times. I live on a farm, so sometimes I go out and practice sneeking up on a barn, then kicking in the door and hosing it out with lead.

House clearing is generally not a wise thing to do alone.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:15:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 12:15:47 PM EDT by Stickman]

***NEWSFLASH***

*** This just in.....***

You are not Delta, you are not training like them, no matter what the voices in the barn are telling you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:16:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 12:17:22 PM EDT by Dog1]

Originally Posted By Stickman:

***NEWSFLASH***

*** This just in.....***

You are not Delta, you are not training like them, no matter what the voices in the barn are telling you.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:07:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 1:11:30 PM EDT by Real_estate_salesman]

Originally Posted By Stickman:

***NEWSFLASH***

*** This just in.....***

I just ETAed that part for shits & grins.

ETA: I need some new friends, any voluntiers?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:35:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2005 12:44:16 AM EDT by darkop]
Originally Posted By azhammer:
* Tac reloads.
* Speed reloads

D.

Is there somewhere I can learn about what Type 1 and Type 3 malfunction drills are and how to
perform them?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off I hope I don't get flamed by this post. Everyone has differant ways of skinning the same ole dead cat. I usually don't post and am just a lurker but training is something that I feel very strongly about. Quality training is of the utmost importance. You can learn more and develop more muscle memory with quality dry practice than blazing away with a case of white box any day of the week.

With that said I will attempt to clarify what I posted earlier.

*****USING DUMMY ROUNDS AND ALL DRY PRACTICE RULES APPLY*******
(I use the cheap orange plastic training rounds)

RULE #2 NEVER COVER ANYTHING WITH THE MUZZLE YOUR NOT WILLING TO DESTROY. This is alway true during dry practice too!

* Tac reload= When there is a lull in the gun fight or advisaries have been nuteralized. You want to top off your weapon with a full Magazine....Preferably from behind cover, retrieve a spare magazine with your support hand, index Mag with pointy finger along front edge of mag. Place Mag along side receiver with bullets at approximatly carry handle level with support hand pointy finger between the two mags. Press mag release with trigger finger (right handed) pull both mags down to mag well level and insert fresh mag. Seat mag with a stout push and then pull to make sure fresh mag is seated. Remove partial mag and place somewhere on your person in case you need it later.

* Speed reload= You just ran dry or know you are very low on ammo and your in a shit storm. Index spare mag with support hand and bring to mag well while you press mag release and drop empty or partial mag to the ground. Insert fresh mag and seat with a stout push pull to make certain mag is seated. Reach up with support hand (right handed) and slap bolt catch lever with fatty part of palm. Reengage advasaries as needed.

* Malfunction transition= Your weapon has just jambed or malfunctioned. Lower your now useless weapon to your stomach and pin in place with your support hand. This will set you up in a draw stance while you draw your handgun or other loaded and usefull weapon and engage advasaries. When advasaried have been nutralized you can then find cover and run the proper malfunction drill.

* Type 1 malfunction (transition to second gun)= a failure to fire. Usually because you didn't seat the magazine fully and the bolt has failed to pick up a fresh round off the top of the magazine.
-----------The cure. Grasp magazine and push pull stoutly to seat. Then rack charging handle fully while simultaniously rolling the weapon so that the ejection port is looking at the ground (Let Mr Gravity work for you) reaquire the front sight and press off the newly cycled round

Type 3 Malfunction=(transition to second gun) A feedway malfunction or "double feed". Fork the charging handle and lock open the action with your support thumb. Remove magazine, insert support pointy finger into mag well and deeply sweep the well to dislodge any caught rounds. Rack charging handle three times while simultaiously rolling ejection port so it's looking at the ground (let Mr Gravity work for you again). Insert fresh mag if you have one or reinsert old mag, slap bolt catch lever with fatty part of support hand. Reaquire front sight and press off the newly cycled round.

Dry fire, Dry fire, Dry fire= Each and every time you get ready to press the trigger, make sure you first aquire the front sight and then pressssssssssssssssssssssssssss the trigger, as the hammer falls and the FCG does it's thing then follow through on the trigger and feeeeeeeeeel the sear reengage prior to pressssssssssssssssssssssssing the trigger again.

Like I said there are many ways to skin a cat but this has worked for me for many years! Quality dry practice is very good training and don't cost nuttin'

Hope this helps and
Good luck,

D.

ETA: There is a type 2 malfunction drill also. Stove pipe. used to be we would clear these with a swipe of the hand, but it tends to take a core sample out of your hand on thqt nice sharp brass. Now just use a type 1 malfunction drill. Clears it just as well and why learn and practice three malf drills when two will do?

Later,

D.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:06:41 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:11:15 AM EDT
great posts darkop. on your description of clearing a type 3 malfunction, i believe u should rack the charging handle again after you re-insert the magazine as slapping the bolt release wouldnt do anything because the bolt would be forward. i know its stickler, but i also take it seriously.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:33:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By faethor:
great posts darkop. on your description of clearing a type 3 malfunction, i believe u should rack the charging handle again after you re-insert the magazine as slapping the bolt release wouldnt do anything because the bolt would be forward. i know its stickler, but i also take it seriously.

You are very correct sir. My bad.

Rack charging handle one last time to charge weapon. I then slap the bolt release one last time just to build in muscle memory and to double triple make sure I'm not locked back

Thank you.

D.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:31:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2005 2:32:57 AM EDT by blackjack333]

As per FM 3-22.9:4.7

Dime (Washer) Exercise. This dry-fire technique is used to teach or evaluate the skill of trigger squeeze and is effective when conducted from an unsupported position. When using the M16A1 rifle for this exercise, the soldier must cock the weapon, assume an unsupported firing position, and aim at the target. An assistant places a dime (washer) on the rifle's barrel between the flash suppressor and front sight post assembly. The soldier then tries to squeeze the trigger naturally without causing the dime (washer) to fall off. Several repetitions of this exercise must be conducted to determine if the soldier has problems with trigger squeeze. The purpose of the exercise is for the firer to dry-fire six of six consecutive shots without causing the dime or washer to fall. (Repeat this exercise from the prone unsupported firing position.)

(a) If the dime (washer) is allowed to touch the sight assembly or flash suppressor, it may fall off due to the jolt of the hammer. Also, the strength of the hammer spring on some rifles can make this a difficult exercise to perform.

(b) When using the M16A2 rifle, the dime (washer) exercise is conducted the same except that a locally fabricated device must be attached to the weapon. A piece of 3/4-inch bonding material is folded into a clothes-pin shape and inserted in the flash suppressor of the weapon so the dime (washer) can be placed on top of it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:22:00 PM EDT
Where can you get dummy rounds at?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:40:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TylerM_8:
Where can you get dummy rounds at?

I use these and they work well..

ST Action Pro
Top Top