Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 12/11/2013 4:40:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 9:07:43 AM EST by Vinny302]
Noob here., noob to AR's not firearms. Finally finished my AR15 here is the parts list.

YHM stripped forged lower
YHM stipped forged upper
FN 16.5" 1-7 twist cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel & chamber
Troy Industries low profine gas block
WMD Guns Nickle Boron bolt carrier group
BCM lower parts kit
BCM upper parts kit
BCM forged charging handle
ATI buffer tube and spring
Magpul MOE six postion stock
ERGO grip
Magpul 417 trigger guard
Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS series full flota 12" handguard

Now for the problem: Had it to the range a few days ago, first round strips from the Magpul magazine, chambers and fires. Ejects round and strips second round from mag and chambers it. Trigger is now dead like it has been pulled without resetting. After cruising the internet looking for suggestions I surmised something amiss with my disconnector. Tearing the lower down I discovered I had left off the disconnector spring. It must have fallen to the floor as I opened my lower parts kit up. A search of the floor in the area turned up the missing disconnector spring. Installed it , went back to the range and all is well.

While surfing the internet I came across several posts about leaving the disconnector spring out could cause a full auto condition. That was not my experience at all. From the descriptions of what happens when the disconnector spring is left off I was able to realize what my problem was. As the bolt travels rearward when the first chambered round is fired it carries the hammer back. Without the disconnector operating as it should the hammer follows the bolt back to battery without resetting. There is not enough force on the firing pin at this time to initiate a strong enough strike on the primer of the second chambered round to initiate a full auto response IMHO.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/medium/600x450xDSC00886.JPG.pagespeed.ic.u03cs-
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:04:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 6:05:16 AM EST by redtornado23]
i need to read more posts like this - i had a problem, i thought about it, investigated what might be wrong, figured it out and fixed it. that's a great feeling...very cool that all is working.

and by the way, that's a nice build...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:25:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 6:26:56 AM EST by crchristo]
You never did a functions check prior to going to the range, or attempting to fire live ammunition?

Call me anal, but at a minimum I perform one anytime I remove and replace the BCG.

It's a good habit to get yourself into.

Oh, and how do you like the MI tube? I've sort of been drooling over them for a little while now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:57:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 9:46:24 AM EST by Vinny302]
Dry fire it functioned properly my only option is going to the range for live fire. As I stated the first chambered round would fire and chamber the second round but the hammer would follow the bolt to battery rendering the trigger inop.

I love the MI free float upper I do not like rails all over my handguard and the MI hanguard only has full length rail on top and comes with 3 3" rails that can be mounted any where on the handguard.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7423/11342470245_d2d04548d4_c.jpg

Vince
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:01:02 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Vinny302:
Dry fire it functioned properly my only option is going to the range for live fire. As I stated the first chambered round would fire and chamber the second round but the hammer would follow the bolt to battery rendering the trigger inop.

I love the MI free float upper I do not like rails all over my handguard and the MI hanguard only has full length rail on top and comes with 3 3" rails that can be mounted any where on the handguard.

Vince
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Vince

Vince

I'm not a big fan of dull saw blades all over my handguards either, and I'm really leaning further and further towards a carbon fiber version.

Back to the functions check vs. dry fire though. Did you do this exactly as written prior to experiencing your problem on the range? I would think that step two would have picked up the fact that you were missing that spring. Thinking about it, I've never tried it without the spring though.

I do this every time I remove and replace the bolt, and every time before going shooting.

!!! MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT YOU'VE CLEARED THE WEAPON, AND THERE IS NO MAGAZINE INSERTED PRIOR TO PERFORMING THESE CHECKS!!!

Attempt to put the weapon on Safe. If it will not go on safe, pull and release the charging handle

Place the weapon on SAFE. Pull the trigger. The hammer shouldn't fall.

Place the weapon on FIRE/SEMI. Pull and HOLD the trigger to the rear. The hammer should fall. While continuing to hold the trigger back, pull and release the charging handle. Release the trigger. You should hear a click. After you hear the click, pull the trigger. The hammer should fall.

Pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Place the selector on SAFE. Pull the trigger, and the hammer should not fall.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:30:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/13/2013 5:33:31 PM EST by Vinny302]
Added the KNS Precision anti pin rotation fixture. Took all of 2 minutes to install.

Vince
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3802/11361630723_2f948e2a25.jpg
Top Top