Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/15/2004 11:09:45 PM EST
Greetings!

I’m FINALLY getting around to converting my old rifle to something similar to an M4… I was wondering if there are any opinions about barrel length. I’m either going with a 16” barrel with a Vortex flash hider mounted on it, or a 14.5” barrel with the Vortex permanently affixed to it… the Vortex is like two inches long, so the overall length will be 16.5” and legal.

I was just wondering if the 14.5” length would affect performance too much… “real” M4s are at 14.5”, I believe, so I know it can’t be too bad compared to the longer barrel lengths.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:22:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By Akin:
Greetings!

I’m FINALLY getting around to converting my old rifle to something similar to an M4… I was wondering if there are any opinions about barrel length. I’m either going with a 16” barrel with a Vortex flash hider mounted on it, or a 14.5” barrel with the Vortex permanently affixed to it… the Vortex is like two inches long, so the overall length will be 16.5” and legal.

I was just wondering if the 14.5” length would affect performance too much… “real” M4s are at 14.5”, I believe, so I know it can’t be too bad compared to the longer barrel lengths.

Thanks!

I went with the 16" barrel. I don't care to ever mount a bayonet, and I like the idea of being able to attach any flash suppressor or sound suppressor I like to it. You'll also get more velocity with the longer barrel which means if you plan to keep it as a defensive rifle, bullets will fragment at slightly longer ranges.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:28:10 PM EST
Top Top