Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 2:38:22 PM EDT
I live in a fairly densely populated area, where the houses aren't directly on top of one another, but most houses are on 40x100 or 50x100 plots.  With houses this close together, would I be better off using a pistol for home defense, or would the right ammo avoid the problem of the round penetrating walls and going to a neighbors house.  (Or am I being paranoid as the bullets will most likely fragment upon contact with a wall?)
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
According to the ammo-oracle m193 5.56 is less lethal after passing through a interior wall than 9mm.  You should be OK with your AR15 as a home defense weapon.  You might want to look into fragible ammo if you are real worried about it.

Some one correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Sahi...I remember seeing that in the ammo oracle, but I didn't remember if they were talking about FMJ 9MM rounds or HP rounds....I have all speer gold dot hollow points in my pistols if that makes a difference
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoot first.  Check on the neighbors later.  You probably didn't like them that much anyway.
  The chances of having to fire ANY firearm in your home is very remote.  Pay attention to the 18 Wheelers you have to pass by every day going to and from work.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
12 ga with # 8 will suffice
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah.  Just pumping the action should be enough to cause any burglars to wet themselves in terror.

OR, both to give GOOD advice, and to answer the actual question asked,
No, the bullets are not likely to fragment upon contact with the wall, but yes M193 has been shown to be less lethal (which is different than saying it won't penetrate, or won't penetrate far) than 9mm after penetrating drywall.  A pistol could be a good backup, but the AR is likely to be more accurate, more effective, and safer than a pistol, given equal training and skill.  Ultimately, use the firearm you are most capable of using in a defensive situation.  If you haven't already, be sure to read the Ammo Oracle for tons of very good information.

Also, check out Old_Painless' webpage, www.theboxotruth.com/ (which seems to be temporarily unavailable), to see some effects of drywall on various cartridges, both rifle and pistol.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Get one of these.. Itll do the job..

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Get one of these.. Itll do the job..
url]img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/gmtmaster/Picture080.jpg

Yeah but one of these will REALLY do the job...  He may not look dangerous, but just you wait....

Just look at how angry he gets when he wakes up from a nap behind the keyboard.  Those chompers are deadly!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  Just pumping the action should be enough to cause any burglars to wet themselves in terror.

No, the bullets are not likely to fragment upon contact with the wall, but yes M193 has been shown to be less lethal (which is different than saying it won't penetrate, or won't penetrate far) than 9mm after penetrating drywall.  A pistol could be a good backup, but the AR is likely to be more accurate, more effective, and safer than a pistol, given equal training and skill.  Ultimately, use the firearm you are most capable of using in a defensive situation.  If you haven't already, be sure to read the Ammo Oracle for tons of very good information.

Also, check out Old_Painless' webpage, www.theboxotruth.com/ (which seems to be temporarily unavailable), to see some effects of drywall on various cartridges, both rifle and pistol.

thank you....I appreciate both the advice and the answer to the question....yeah right now I'm definitely more comfortable with pistols as i've been training with them for about 8 years, and have only recently purchased the AR and have only shot it twice.  Guess I'm thinking for a little further down the line...if I was going to use my AR as my primary home defense weapon, I'd probably put a rail system with a light and VFG on it, but I wouldn't want to spend all that money just to make it 'look cool' if i was just gonna use the rifle for plinking at the range
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thank you....I appreciate both the advice and the answer to the question....yeah right now I'm definitely more comfortable with pistols as i've been training with them for about 8 years, and have only recently purchased the AR and have only shot it twice.  Guess I'm thinking for a little further down the line...if I was going to use my AR as my primary home defense weapon, I'd probably put a rail system with a light and VFG on it, but I wouldn't want to spend all that money just to make it 'look cool' if i was just gonna use the rifle for plinking at the range

Hey there is nothing wrong with a rifle that looks cool as long as it is functional  You might also want a red dot optic for home defense since Iron sights can be a pian to use in the dark.

I am not much for the VFG's as they just dont feel right to me.  Here is my set up that is next to my bed.  I am still waiting for the light though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#12]
someone please post the pic of the range target on the front door and the gun free house sticker on the other.

great pic

but the criminal gets it
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top