Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/8/2006 3:08:27 PM EDT
I was reading the Black Rifle. Vols 1 & 2.

There was some discussion of Gas tube fouling with accompnying X-Rays of the tude allegedly showing fouling.

Has anyone ever experienced "Gas Tube Fouling"?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's a myth. But, I could be wrong. I was . Once. Seriously, never noticed any when I've pipe cleanered my gas key.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I ran a pipe cleaner through my gas tube once after shooting about 3000 rounds and I didn't find anything in it, even after shooting some Wolf and Barnaul.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The general concensus is that its "self-limiting" in that the next jet of hot, fouled gas blasts the old crud right out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#4]
It cleans itself and the back of the bolt does too.  No need to scrape carbon.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It cleans itself and the back of the bolt does too.  No need to scrape carbon.

The rear of the bolt will pit if it is not cleaned.  The only places that are self-cleaning are the inside of the carrier, the gas tube, and the gas port.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a problem, at least not one that I ever came accross. With the amount of rounds I fired through M16's and AR's I haven't seen carbon in the gas tube cause any reliability problems yet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I read, wish I could remember where, that the pressure is too high in the tube for fouling to form.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Those pictures are from the old style ball powder......Those of you sticking pipe cleaners in the gas tube....DONT!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The gas tube fouling occured with the original powder that the XM16E1 was tested with...they reduced the level of calcium carbonate in the powder and the problem went away.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Pressure over the gas port starts out at about 15,000 psi. Anything less than that can cause a short stroke malfunction.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top