Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/18/2009 4:19:37 AM EST
I am the first to admit that I am not a expert by no means on alot of things about guns in general. I had a legal question. If I was to go out and buy a AR lower and that is all and than the law changes and states that you cannot buy anymore assault rifles, since I have AR lower, I could still go ahead and complete that build correct? I am a little confused about this. I have 2 ARs now and I love them both. But I was thinking of just getting a couple more AR lowers and later finish these guns. Could I buy them and if they past a law, I would be ok since I have already bought them prior? I am sorry if someone had already asked this somewhere, but sometimes with laws changing I wanted to post to be sure. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:35:28 AM EST
No one can answer this for you. Anything anyone tells you will be pure speculation.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:36:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 4:37:53 AM EST by three_green]
There is currently no legislation or even proposed legislation (that I'm aware of) that would ban AR type rifles, so there's really no way to know. If (and that's a BIG if) any future legislation closely resembles the past AWB, then yes, you would already own the rifle (lower) and be grandfathered in, and you would be able to complete the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:52:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By kcr121:
No one can answer this for you. Anything anyone tells you will be pure speculation.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

+1

We can't see into the future and can only guess what would be included in a ban if they want to push for one.

If they go with a full out ban where it is illegal to own it, then you have to make a decision. How much do you like your constitutional rights to keep your weapons?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:55:16 AM EST

Would ultimately depend on the legislation and if anything was "grandfathered" in.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:29:14 AM EST
The last ban only grandfathered in those weapons whose configuration, AT THE TIME of the law's passage, would have made them illegal under the ban. In other words, in order for your weapon to be grandfathered in, your weapon had to be complete enough to be defined as an assault weapon (3 or more "assault" features) before the law went into effect. A bare lower had no "assault" features and thus could not be grandfathered.

How the government was to prove your weapon was not complete [enough] at the time the ban went into effect is unclear.

As others have said, it is NOT possible to speculate about any future legislation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:38:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 5:38:47 AM EST by Forest]
Please Read Aimless's thread posted at thte top of this forum.
Top Top