Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2012 12:20:37 PM EDT
Some people have been mentioning the need for AR retro parts such as pencil barrows, handguards, etc. Is there a large need for this? How come no one makes aftermarket retro parts?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, you can find mostly-correct aftermarket retro parts of *almost* anything. Nodak does uppers and lowers, green mountain and fulton do pencil barrels, DPMS does small parts, etc.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
What about stocks and handguards?

I need a CAR-15 type carbine handguards (not the fat M4 ones)
and a CAR-15 fiberlite collapsible buttstock.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Most major manufacturers aren't interested in making retro barrels,
They just don't sell like tacticool types so they don't put there money in to it.
But there are about half a dozen company's , like the ones listed above,
That do.
Nodak spud can take care of you're receiver needs,and their quality
Is top notch.
And most all other needed parts needed to build about any retro varient
can be found by members here who either sell them or make them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You're best bet on these is to check EE, ALOT!
They pop up frequently .
You can also try essential arms for reproduction metal stock sets,
And I think rock river makes a set of 6 hole handgaurds
That are a close match
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You can also try M&A part inc. they sell a late model looking
Colt stock set ( everything included) for a good price.
When I say late model , it will have those little ribs on the side
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can also try M&A part inc. they sell a late model looking
Colt stock set ( everything included) for a good price.
When I say late model , it will have those little ribs on the side

Thanks

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some people have been mentioning the need for AR retro parts such as pencil barrows, handguards, etc. Is there a large need for this? How come no one makes aftermarket retro parts?

People do make retro parts, including pencil barrels.  Some of the other items you mention are not made, quite honestly becuase the economicas aren't there- retro, is a sliver of the market share of the rest of the AR community.  Price out a polymer mold and you will understand why no one is reproing certain items.

To boot, most everything you need can be found on the EE or gunbroker with some patience and searching.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Target market....

18-35 YR olds. 60%

40+ yr. olds  20%-30%
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I must be a rarity being 28 and more into the retro rifles.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Are you me?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#11]
It actually is.  It's catching on more and more every day.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Aluminum CAR Buttstocks, and retro barrels
are somewhat rare these days. 10 years ago,
they were cheap and plentiful.

Lets hope that Mike at NoDak Spud
wins the powerball this weekend.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Im 24, I could care less about tacticool. I will admit I have one flat top.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Things sure change.  When I was 28 (1990) building a retro said you couldn't afford something better but still could impress on the range as $400 was kinda retail for a used retro build.  Hbar and varmit bull barrels were the rave and the XM177.  Today a decent retro build could easily cost twice what a budget tacticool build would cost and most everyone who tries one falls in love with a pencil barrel with triangle handguards.  There is a reason this stuff is very addictive.  Kinda like nookie.  Welcome to RBRD!   "The Long and Winding Road" to recovery.  Still hooked at 50 yrs plus and although I've acknowledged the problem,  I really don't care to do any thing about it and really don't miss the $10-15K I've spent on AR's over the years and still really enjoy all of them.  Spent a whole lot more on nookie.  Heck my bride's house cost me $180K.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Things sure change.  When I was 28 (1990) building a retro said you couldn't afford something better but still could impress on the range.  Hbar and varmit bull barrels were the rave and the XM177.  Today a decent retro build could easily cost twice what a budget tacticool build would cost and most everyone who tries one falls in love with a pencil barrel with triangle handguards.  There is a reason this stuff is very addictive.  Welcome to RBRD!  The long and winding road to recovery.  Still hooked at 50 plus.

yeah, around 1990 I was just getting into Highpower Service Rifle  competition and that meant H-bar if you wanted to shoot a colt factory rifle. About that time too, and even today, if I build an AR for long range shooting it'll be a flat top with a heavy varmint barrel, and I have several that I take to the prairie of northwestern South Dakota. Each style has its' place.
To the original Q of why no one makes retro reproduction parts. There isn't enough demand for mass production, and there aren't that many people willing to pay what it cost to have custom machine work done. There are a few guys here that make parts on an "as order" basis.......HeatNBeat, John Thomas, a few others.....as said, NoDak.....EssentialArms........and others.  I'm currently working on some 607 Stock parts but don't know if I'll ever do it as a "for profit" venture. Next up I think will be a closer reproduction of the rear handguard cap for my 607 handguards.  So, for some parts, it's pretty much a do-it-yourself proposition.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There isn't a big need.  The vast majority of AR-15 fans, in my opinion, want whatever the latest and greatest is.  Flat top, rail, piston, something with Magpul furniture, etc.  I think the Retro market if pretty tiny in the bigger scheme of things.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There isn't a big need.  The vast majority of AR-15 fans, in my opinion, want whatever the latest and greatest is.  Flat top, rail, piston, something with Magpul furniture, etc.  I think the Retro market if pretty tiny in the bigger scheme of things.

+1, the fact that we all watch the same auctions, know the bidders and sell parts amongst ourselves shows how small the market is in comparison.

the a1s are too new to be considered or treated like a classic but too old to be cool anymore.  kind of like cars, once the latest model comes out, the previous 2 to 4 models decrease in value and desirability until it hits a certain point where the old stuff is cool again and then you see a resurgence in interest.

plus being the first battle to use plastics/polymers/fiberglass still makes it the outcast.  the collectors of older stuff still kind of shun it b/c it's not wood.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top