Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/30/2006 4:01:47 PM EDT
I just bought a bushmaster M4 A3, and it is my first AR. I love it, and was wandering what are some basic tips for cleaning the rifle? I notice the bolt is pretty lubed up.  Whats is the best way to clean and maintain an AR?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=203988

That thread right there should tell you everything you need to know about cleaning it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:55:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Should you keep the bolt oiled like it is from the factory, if so what kind of oil do you use?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Should you keep the bolt oiled like it is from the factory, if so what kind of oil do you use?

Yes, keep it wet.  It will run best that way.  Use standard lube.  I use CLP.  Everyone has a favorite brand of whatever they feel is best.  

Brian
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:19:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Short answer is any oil is better than no oil.Most folks (myself included) are satisified with "Breakfree CLP" although some praise some of the other  higher tech (and more expensive)brands.
Really any brand gun oil should do ok.
Breakfree is like laundry powder- if you buy the small carry around size you pay an arm and a leg. I have bought some small empty twist top  bottles at a gun show (you have seen them 4 for 1$)and keep them filled with a 16oz bottle of breakfree that I bought from midway (seee midwayusa.com).
I have one in the tool box,one in the range bag,one on the bench where I clean guns. The 16 oz bottle cost like $14 ,if I had been buying the tiny gunstore sized bottles of beakfree I would have spent $70 for the same ammount.
Welcome new guy
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top