Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/19/2012 5:24:05 AM EST
I am thinking of building myself an AR Pistol.
I dont want to have to register a SBR, so my question is, what makes an AR a pistol and what does not?
Does simply removing the butt stock make it a pistol. Do you have to modify the tube?
The barrel i am looking at is an 8 inch
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:37:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By Partsier:
I dont want to have to register a SBR, so my question is, what makes an AR a pistol and what does not?
Does simply removing the butt stock make it a pistol. Do you have to modify the tube?

If you remove the stock from a rifle, it is still a rifle in the eyes of the ATF. You would need to build the gun from a bare receiver or buy it assembled as a "pistol" to avoid this. You can have any buffer tube on the gun that you like, but those who are very concerned about legality often opt for a 'pistol-specific' tube that cannot mount a stock.

Anything shorter than 16" barrel length and/or 26" overall length constitutes a short-barreled rifle if built from a rifle. An odd part of the law allows you to build the pistol, put a 16" barrel and stock on it (making it a rifle) then remove the stock and replace the shorter upper to turn it back into a pistol. But starting with a rifle, you cannot do the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:08:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By MasterSergeantA:

If you remove the stock from a rifle, it is still a rifle in the eyes of the ATF. You would need to build the gun from a bare receiver or buy it assembled as a "pistol" to avoid this. You can have any buffer tube on the gun that you like, but those who are very concerned about legality often opt for a 'pistol-specific' tube that cannot mount a stock.

Anything shorter than 16" barrel length and/or 26" overall length constitutes a short-barreled rifle if built from a rifle. An odd part of the law allows you to build the pistol, put a 16" barrel and stock on it (making it a rifle) then remove the stock and replace the shorter upper to turn it back into a pistol. But starting with a rifle, you cannot do the same thing.

Has this held up in court? This really feels like someone studied the law and found a loophole in the definition of a sbr and rifle. Does the ATF specifically acknowledge something described as an AR pistol or is this just a weapon that matches the handgun definition by measurement? I want one of these too, but I have this fear that if it ever ended up in a search or used in home defense that it would be considered working around the sbr rules and not considered legal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:32:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By techjedi:
Originally Posted By MasterSergeantA:

Has this held up in court? This really feels like someone studied the law and found a loophole in the definition of a sbr and rifle. Does the ATF specifically acknowledge something described as an AR pistol or is this just a weapon that matches the handgun definition by measurement? I want one of these too, but I have this fear that if it ever ended up in a search or used in home defense that it would be considered working around the sbr rules and not considered legal.
It's 100% legal. It is recognized by the ATF but even more importantly it's defined and codified by congress.

Top Top