Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:45:57 AM EDT
Recently had repeated failures of rounds oto chamber in a DPMS LR 338.  Hodgdon list a COL length of 2.810" for 200 gr Hornaday SP.  Cases were trimmed to .308 recommended trim length and were full-length resized.  RCBS dies were used.  Are the chambers of the AR different than say a Kimber bolt action?  Any ideas on the solution?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Explain  how it will not chamber ??

I assume a round will not drop in ??
If so sounds more like a bad chamber, maybe ?

Did you try any factory ammo ??

Maybe you dont have your full length resizer set up right.
IE maybe you need to bump the shoulder backa  tad more.

Did you check the headspace ??

Dont know why anybody would build a tight chamber AR10.

Sorry about the rambling. Still on my first cup.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#2]
DPMS must cut the chambers tight on 338 fed too.
I have 2 LR 308s that will not chamber some surplus or handloads.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I had issues with my AP4.  You really have to make sure you size the cases adequately enough to fit.  If all else fails, polish the chamber.  I did that to mine, and it did make a difference.  The bolt closes much smoother on a round (I use this for hunting, so quiet is better).
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
yes the over all  length can be different between a bolt action and a semi auto because the semi is limited to the maximum length allowed by the magazine.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top