Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 9:03:04 AM EDT
does anyone know where i can get the non rotating hammer and trigger pins for a colt ar-15
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Brownells
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I got mine at Brownell's and have been very happy with them. They have these pins available for both the small and large holes. Here is a direct link to them at Brownell's website:

[url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13801[/url]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the help
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Another solution to a non problem!

The trigger moves on what, a 10° arc and the hammer maybe 80°?  

Lets say 10,000 rounds down range.  The trigger moves back and forth 20° (total) or 1/18th of a circle on each shot in a well lubricated hole in the receiver.  10,000/18 is a grand total of 556 revolutions at very slow speed and little pressure.  You think this is going to cause any wear?  [;)]

Even the hammer will have less than 5,000 revolutions on it.  At slow speed and well lubricated.

The pin holes in the receiver get worn out by folks dicking with the receiver and removing the pins routinely.  No reason to do that.

Spin the pins in a drill chuck and polish them with 0000 steel wool and they'll be much less to cause [i]excessive wear[/i] on the receiver.  If CLP isn't rimming all the holes there isn't enough in the weapon.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Chuck - I agree with you whole heartedly to one extent, for an all around shooter, what you describe is true. But for the accuracy freaks, constant and truely consistant trigger pull is essential. Oversize and/or non-rotating pins take some of the microscopic slop out of the hammer/sear/trigger surface engagement areas. Granted we are talking about only ounces in trigger pull differences, but it does make a difference in tenths and even hundredths of an inch group sizes when a trigger is CONSTANTLY the same, pull after pull.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I assume you're referring to 1# or so benchrest trigger pulls?  For normal use a trigger like the Accuracy Speaks wwill to this without the need for fixing the trigger pins.

And something has to rotate.  Since the hammer's J-clip and the disconnector on the trigger essentially clamp onto their respective pins you just make more friction by holding the ends tight.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:41:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Gotta agree with Chuck.  The pins were designed to rotate.  The holes have a clearance fit with the pins.  The purpose of the grooves in the pins is to engage the hammer J pin and hammer spring legs to keep the pins in the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Chuck, I'm with ya 100% on AR15 applications.

The KNS non-rotating pins ARE of benefit on M16s, though. In full auto, it's easy for the hammer to rebound too far and impact the disconnector, transmitting enough energy to egg out the pin holes. This is fairly common with Colt 9mm uppers, and while less frequent on 5.56, I've seen it in most all applications.

Usually the hammer and trigger pins will break first (and often the gun keeps keep running on the broken halves, which unless you notice quickly can also egg out the holes), but I've seen several '16s with oval holes that had to be drilled out and bushed, or switched to Colt large-pin internals, even though the pins did not break.

As a result, a lot of registered-receiver owners are switching to, and happy with, the locking pins, because they distribute the forces evenly over both sets of pin holes. (And since all transferable RR's were made pre-1986 and have been fired a lot over the years, the tolerances have loosened enough that locking pins work fine.) If you're trying to preserve a worn $8k lower, they make sense.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Locking pins are not made to be used with the j-clip in the hammer. I have used the oversize pins and they MAKE a big difference in trigger pull. As far as egging out the receiver holes, they are less likely to do so than the standard pins, they don't travel around as much as the standard pins in rotation. But Chuck is absolutely right - if the holes aren't rimmed with CLP, there isn't enough lubricant in the gun.
Big differences in benchrest triggers compared to match  rifle triggers, and a lot more tolerance in everyday standard rifles, be it military or sporting.
I will say one thing about this forum, I am impressed with the statements that are made and the reasoning behind them!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top