Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/4/2003 7:18:56 PM EDT
I have an older 4 X 32 - one inch barrel - scope that I've used on a 3030. I want to mount it on an AR-15 flattop just high enough to clear front sight; it'll be my AR "beginner" scope. I've been looking hard for the proper riser/whatever for this purpose and I'm totally confused about size, model, material, etc. (so many variables). I tried Weaver rings without a riser but couldn't get past the front sight.

Need your recommendation(s) re the proper size, distributor, etc., riser, and rings (Weaver or otherwise). I really want to get this scope mounted soon.

Thanks in advance.

-Andy

Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:10:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2003 10:17:01 AM EDT by Zardoz]
[url]www.bushmaster.com[/url] has flattop risers that will raise the scope 1/2 inch, and they're one of the less expensive methods. BTW: If by "clearing the front sight" you mean raising the scope ABOVE the front sight, this isn't necessary with a 4x scope. Even with the scope right behind it, the front sight will be invisible, due to the scopes' focal length. You will need either risers, or a set of high rings to get a decent cheekweld, though. ARMS #22(high) rings will place the scope at the right height, but are fairly expensive at ~$90), and would also require the 1-inch inserts ($30 or so). Not cheap, by any means, but you'll fall in love with 'em as soon as you try 'em.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:25:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:32:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Troy: [url]www.armalite.com/shared/images/armalite_scope_mount.gif[/url] Armalite's one-piece mount is the best solution to your problem, and will place the center of the scope at the same height as the iron sights, allowing you to retain the same cheek weld you use now. -Troy
View Quote
Sh*T! I keep forgetting about that one! AND, it's available for 1-inch tubes, too.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 12:57:39 PM EDT
Just in case anyone needs the info, I just received the 30mm version of the ArmaLite mount, and the rings are 3/4" wide and span 4-13/16" out-to-out. Those dimensions seem to be very different in the photo everyone has pulled off the ArmaLite website.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/11/2003 5:38:48 PM EDT by Ironbarr]
Oly Arms (my AR) has extra high rings for 30mm and inserts for 1" - [url]http://olyarms.com/usa.html[/url] click accessories... extra high is for scopes w/larger bells. Does this mean that I would normally use something under "Extra High" when directly mounted to flat top? I've seen some aluminum risers (cheaper) in less than 1" high. As I remember the irons are at 2.6+/- inches. Does that mean the scope center would be 1.6"? How does that work with a 1" tube? It seems to me that with the hundreds (thousands??) of scoped AR's, there'd be a reasonable standard setup for a modest optic system. Confusing to me. Seems the world of optics is a whole thing unto itself. Thanks for your input - hoping for more conversation here. -Andy
Top Top