Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/30/2005 9:28:29 PM EDT
Looking to get a lower reciever for now, buying the firearm part first, and slowly aquire the rest ;).

Anyways..

Any opinions on the Stag arms lower receiver?

What about lower receiver parts, wheres the best place to get them? Am I correct in the understanding it takes few if any real tools to assemble a lower from parts?
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Your best bet is to check the industry forum, and the Equipment Exchange.  Look around, do a couple of searches.  Most of the information youwill need is already here, you just need to look for it.  Thats what I did.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the middle of my first build, so I'm certainly no expert.  However, I did a little homework before I ordered everything.

On the lowers, it doesn't seem that anyone has a real yes or no answer to any of these.  I went with Mega Machine Shop.  There is a thread in EE for them.  I think they look great, and the machining seems to be top notch with much attention to detail.  Stag seems to be another very popular choice, but there are certainly others out there.

I shopped around with a few different places to get my lower parts kit.  It seemed many were not impressed with DPMS and as of later, some didn't like RRA, so I went with CMT.  Many reported them to have a good rep. I'm expecting it will work fine.

As for tools needed.  There seems to be many different interpretations of "need."  Check the tacked thread that has the instructions for building an AR.  It should give you a good idea of what you are gonna want or "need."

Gundraw
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The Stag Arms lower receiver is one of the best among other top brands according to most of the members opinions here.

I will also be getting a Stag for my next project.

Lower Parts Kit (LPK) are mostly available in the Equipment Exchange of this site.

I already have my Stag Arms LPK and I got it from seller Teknic of www.rainierarms.com at the Equipment Exchange.

Rainier Arms is located in Federal Way, WA.

The Stag LPK has a high quality, I highly recommend it.

Yes, it only takes a few tools to assemble a lower, I did it myself.

Ref: Build It Yourself thread link
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 2:04:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, you could get a CMT (Stag) made Noveske lower for twenty or so dollars more than the Stag logo lower. The Noveske has an iron cross looking logo instead of the deer. Global Tactical, Denny's Guns,  will soon have a nicer logo CMT made lower available also.

I really like the CMT quality but can't stand the deer logo, just a personal thing. Not like the logo means everything and I do nothing but stare at it all day.....
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for STAG ARMS, I love the Deer Head!
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I do not spend enough time staring at my receiver to care whether or not there is a deer head on it.  Some people are too damn picky.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go Mega, then one of Denny's CMT lowers. Failing that, RRA. The Novenske Iron Cross would be cool too though. I would get a matching upper too. As far as LPK's....if Mega go with RRA, if CMT / Stag, may as well stick with a Stag LPK. I did mine with a claw hammer and a filed down nail. LOL!!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I do not spend enough time staring at my receiver to care whether or not there is a deer head on it.  Some people are too damn picky.

True, but if doing a build and specing out each part...as well as spending hard earned money...I say be as picky as you damn well please.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
So whats wrong with DPMS lowers?  What is the deal with the teflon finish I heard about?  Does it still have the same parkerized finish as other lowers underneath?

I am about to build another rifle as soon as I get back from visiting famly for Christmas.  I wanted to get an engraved lower from TomSawyerMfg and their's are DPMS unless you buy one and send it in to them.   So I'd be interested in hearing about DPMS and whatever defects people have found.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does it still have the same parkerized anodized finish as other lowers underneath?

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, but if doing a build and specing out each part...as well as spending hard earned money...I say be as picky as you damn well please.

I am finding that out.....just dropped the dough for an MGI upper.  Is BRD terminal?

Still need a decent buis, pri flip up front sight, some sort of reddot, and an ace ultralight stock.......and then I need to figger out a case...and and and and then there is the next barrel I am going to need to go with the supresor I wanna buy, and wit hthe supressor I'll need a pri gasbuster and then...augh...
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe I'm a bit picky but why put a non desirable looking lower on a project that most of us here will spend many dollars on with extras. Just check out the resale part of it.

There again, not like I'm anyone special or anything, just MY opinion! No offense meant to anyone that buys a Stag or whatever. Thankfully, for now, there are many choices for us all.

Pie.

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 3:36:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, you could get a CMT (Stag) made Noveske lower for twenty or so dollars more than the Stag logo lower. The Noveske has an iron cross looking logo instead of the deer. Global Tactical, Denny's Guns,  will soon have a nicer logo CMT made lower available also.

I really like the CMT quality but can't stand the deer logo, just a personal thing. Not like the logo means everything and I do nothing but stare at it all day.....

Best looking markings on Conti lowers is the non logo early Rock Rivers. Even the caliber is marked 5.56, instead of .223/5.56.  Second best are the Century Arms Conti builts.  They have more printing on the side, but again, no crappy logo that some idiot decided would "look cool".

The only logo marked lowers worth looking at are the ones that come from Hartford, CT. All the rest? Me too, copy cat, and to my eyes junky looking.

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Shamayim, I couldn't agree more and this is rare for me. Pie.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Right after I posted this I found Eagle firearms has completly assembled Stag A2 lower for $199.

Might be what I get to get everything at once :)
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I forgot to say thanks for all the input! You fellows are awesome :)

I have one last question:

Does anyone sell complete pistol lowers? Or would I be better off buying a complete lower from Eagle that does not have the stock and order the pistol tube(I'm not sure whatcha call it, need to become versed on this)?

Also.. anyone got any good reading on the net on the AR-15?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Mega, LAR Grizzly (If you can find any), Superior Arms and Ameetec make registered pistol receivers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Do any venders here sell a complete pistol lower?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Do any venders here sell a complete pistol lower?

Hmm...  Good question.  Most of them will sell a lower with a lower parts kit, so the only thing you would have to do is put on the buffer tube (which is really quite simple).

ETA: I found one!  It's a complete Pistol Registered lower receiver with the ACE Pistol Buffer Tube complete for $229.  Carricoz Armory.  But, uh... unfortunately it's out of stock.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:11:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Take a look at the Noveske CMT lower. Mine is en route.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Well since I started this thread..

May as well post what I decided go with.. crappy scan, but my camera is AWOL right now so.

Cloud Mt. Armory Lower Receiver, Colt carry handle.

Got the lower from the PDX gunshow last weekend.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#24]
+1 For Stag Arms Lowers. I Love the Logo!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top