Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 7:41:57 PM EDT
I know there is a lot of experience on this board and perhap you can lend a hand. Ammo is Wolf steel (sorry) and mags are both steel and alum teflon coated. It looks like 2 two bullets come up too close together then the bolt touches both bullets and tries to move both forward. I've lubed my spring but nothing seems to work very well. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I know there is a lot of experience on this board and perhap you can lend a hand. Ammo is Wolf steel (sorry) and mags are both steel and alum teflon coated. It looks like 2 two bullets come up too close together then the bolt touches both bullets and tries to move both forward. I've lubed my spring but nothing seems to work very well. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds a lot like a mag problem to me.  Then again, it IS Wolf.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Not wanting to be an asshole, but I highly suggest you do the following first:

1) Clean the chamber with a GI chamber brush. Run a patch through to dry. Lube the B/BC during reassembly.
2) Get hold of a regular new GI magazine from a reputable source. Only use this mag for the moment.
3) Buy a couple of boxes of quality brass-cased ammo (not reloads, not surplus, definitely NOT steel cased). WalMart WWB would be acceptable.
4) Run the rounds through the rifle and report back.

If the problem persists, advise also the brand and age of the rifle, and whether it is new to you or you have lots of trounle-free rounds through it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Anytime two live bullets are fed at the same time it means a bad magazine.  Period.

Junk those steel magazines and stick with USGI type 20 & 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]
sit your rifle down in the chair across from you, give it a very stern look, and tell it to STOP IT!  

seriously though its no doubt the mags - get some USGI 30rd and you'll be good to go
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

I'm not sure these aren't USGI mags. Is there anyway you can tell? I see a differnce between the steel and alum teflon coated mags I bought.  The steel ones have metal cut from mag that exposes more of the bullets. (near the top rear of the mag) The teflon ones have less metal cut. The teflons work better. Any ideas? Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:32:22 AM EDT
[#6]
It's almost certainly a mag problem, but fortunately for you, mags have never been cheaper than they are right now. Call Larry at C-products (866-274-0247) and order a few.

(BTW, they're called "cartridges". Only the actual projectile is the bullet.)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sounds a lot like a mag problem to me.  Then again, it IS Wolf.

We ran a pile of Wolf thru a M16 and a G36 this weekend with plenty of time running both guns on puree.   If it functions that well in a full auto, I don't see how anyone can be concerned about function in a semiauto.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is there anyway you can tell?

If it's steel it most certainly isn't USGI.

US Military never issued steel magazines for the AR.  They have bought some steel HK magazines but they are marked as HK.

USGI magazines will have info stamped into the baseplate.  If the baseplate is blank it isn't USGI.  What is listed on the bottom of your magazine?

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#9]
There is no writing stamped on the bottom of either the steel or alum magazines.  So does that mean NOT  USIG? From above I guess then the steel mag is not USIG since it is made from steel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Next time, try THIS

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is no writing stamped on the bottom of either the steel or alum magazines.  So does that mean NOT  USIG? From above I guess then the steel mag is not USIG since it is made from steel.

Correct they are not USGI.

My guess is they are USA brand magazines.  I've seen plenty of double feeds from that brand.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Is it possible to take these mags apart and put in better components like non-tilt followers, spring or should I throw them out? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Toss them not worth the trouble. as long as you live in a non ban state new ar mags are under $20 get a bunch (and some brass cae ammo) and watch the problem disappear!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:13:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:22:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is it possible to take these mags apart and put in better components like non-tilt followers, spring or should I throw them out? Thanks

If they are steel and NOT marked HK, they are JUNK, not even JUNQUE. With the prices of USGI mags at near all time lows, there is NO reason to screw around with those mags. Go to 44MAG.com and order some REAL USGI mags. When they arrive, go out and shoot, report back then.

I just don't understand how people spend some decent money on an AR then go CHEAP on the most important item that affects functioning. Yet they will spend bucks on other after market items that don't do ANYTHING to improve functioning, like buy a damn bayonet, which, in TX is not even legal to have out in public unless the holder is military and participating in a military function!

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
... like buy a damn bayonet, which, in TX is not even legal to have out in public unless the holder is military and participating in a military function!

Wow talk about a strange law.

Even here in MD we can have Bayonets .
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

NO!

The problem isn't the follwers or spring it's the damn feed lips - and you can't fix the problem.

Just trash them!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they are steel and NOT marked HK, they are JUNK, not even JUNQUE. With the prices of USGI mags at near all time lows, there is NO reason to screw around with those mags. Go to 44MAG.com and order some REAL USGI mags. When they arrive, go out and shoot, report back then.

I just don't understand how people spend some decent money on an AR then go CHEAP on the most important item that affects functioning. Yet they will spend bucks on other after market items that don't do ANYTHING to improve functioning, like buy a damn bayonet, which, in TX is not even legal to have out in public unless the holder is military and participating in a military function!

I looked around 2 seperate gun shows and asked questions etc about what were the best mags so what the heck do I know. One guy even said: "I like those steel ones better." I did buy the grey teflon ones from clips-r-us from corpus christi TX and they seem OK. But these steel ones are junk. Hope this mail shows up OK.  go4it

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Mail did not show us as I expected. Sorry!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#20]

The problem isn't the follwers or spring it's the damn feed lips - and you can't fix the problem.

Just trash them!

I agree, its the lips! I'll get new ones! go4it
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Just trash them!

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
AR 15 Jamming- Help

T
I
M
E

T
O

G
E
T

A
N

A
K

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Just trash them!

take your old mags and use them for targets. Order some of the good ones like mentioned above only 10 a pop. SALE get some now before the sale ends. I just picked up 5 of there 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AR 15 Jamming- Help

T
I
M
E

T
O

G
E
T

A
N

A
K

A
K

W
I
L
L

J
A
M

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... like buy a damn bayonet, which, in TX is not even legal to have out in public unless the holder is military and participating in a military function!

Wow talk about a strange law.

Even here in MD we can have Bayonets .

Oh, we can HAVE bayonets, just can NOT carry them in public as they an "illegal knife", i.e. fixed blade over 5-1/2" (main violation) and is double edged like a dagger, dirk, stilletto or poinard.

TX is not unique in having restrictions on knives.  Many states have them. Jus t ask some who found out the HARD way!

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I had an AK 47 with a 100 round mag and I'll tell ya, the gun did not jam once! That was one sweet piece. If they did let you shoot at stuff at the range I'd definitely put these steel mags out there to shoot at. It would be fun watching them get all busted up. (Actually, I was thinking of putting them on here to sell. But would anyone buy these things? I paid $12 each for them.)
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#27]
The steel ones C that exposes more of the bullets. (near the top rear of the mag) The teflon ones have less metal cut. The teflons work better. Any ideas? Thanks

These are most probably USA brand mags.  They can'g be fixed.  Junk them.

There ARE USGI mags that are unmarked, I have some.  They came in sealed Labelle bags, and have the gray teflon finish.

As everyone tells you, get USGI mags.  I sent you links to DSG Arms, and CMMG.  You can probably find mags cheaper, but these guys have good mags, and you can get various options.  Most of my mags have the standard "green" follower and stock springs.  All work well.

Your USA (steel) mags are good for target practice.  Use them for targets.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks Freeman. I ordered a bunch of mags from larry at cp today so by next weekend I should be in good shape. With full functioning mags I should be going through ammo like a fish through water-- ouch-- to my pocket book!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top