Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2015 12:47:25 AM EDT
Okay, I saw the reason for merging before.  Now, 90% of the posts here are ar10 related.   Its confusing, especially with ar10 variants mixed in with ar15 variants.   It makes little sense to have completely unrelated and incompatible platforms with numerous variations mixed together like it is.

Keep in mind to find ar10 info, a new user would need to stumble in here by clicking the ar15 forum first, which seems wrong.... and then click ar variants.  None of this make sense.

Im not trying to rabble rouse,  just opening a dialog.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I concur, but someone figured, "Meh, they're all non-223/5.56 variants -- lump 'em all together."

Armalite's industry forum going away didn't help, either.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#2]
<puts on Nomex suit>

This forum covers a wide variety of AR-type variants in a mountain of calibers, many much more different than the variations between the .308s.  IMHO the Armalite rifles aren't different enough to justify a separate forum and I couldn't figure out why they had a separate one to begin with, until I heard it was because of a sponsorship deal (thought that's third hand information).

So far as I'm concerned, they're just another .308.    
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know...unsure if I'm that disturbed by the issue which ever way it goes.  However, I would think the variant category might be better defined as AR15 platform and AR10-style platforms.  I have two Armalite AR10's, but I see them in the same category as every other non-AR15...DPMS LR308, GenII, etc.  Being somewhat new to the AR style rifle, I may be looking at this completely wrong.  I see the AR15 platform as containing any caliber that uses the AR15 with the basic milspec dimension construction...5.56, .223, 300-BLK, and all those calibers that fit the traditional AR15 milspec weapon platform.  When the gun has to notably change construction dimensions to accept larger parent case calibers...7.62 as the most common but all those larger-than-5.56 that won't fit the AR15 without notable manufacturing alterations...I think you have that AR10-style weapon at that point.  To simplify, I'd say if you can change the caliber of your AR15 platform with just a barrel change...generally...then you have an AR15.  Just about everything else would be a variant.  This is just an opinion and observation on my part.  Others may have a better perspective on this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I think a ".308 AR" forum or even ".30 AR" would be a step in the right direction and then another for "Exotic Caliber" or simply "Non .223 AR15" forum.

I liked the Armalite forum but don't think they are justified in having their own forum any more especially given the variety of .308 AR platforms available...this coming from an Armalite owner.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The net effect is as noted, it's become the AR10 forum and the other calibers aren't posting here anymore. They returned to their respective OS's  which does reduce traffic - if you like that sort of thing. Probably too late to fully recover from that now, and it taints arfcom as being milspec centric in ammo choice. Posters will quickly determine arfcom isn't the sole source of their data and move on.

When the next Bullet of the Month entry rises up from SHOT to enter the market, just where will we go to discuss it? Not here. Those posts will clog up other forums until the admins force them here, where they will get buried in a sea of AR10 posts.

I don't want to believe that is what was intended, but, there it is. This in no longer the preferred forum for alternate cartridge discussion. Simple as that.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The net effect is as noted, it's become the AR10 forum and the other calibers aren't posting here anymore. They returned to their respective OS's  which does reduce traffic - if you like that sort of thing. Probably too late to fully recover from that now, and it taints arfcom as being milspec centric in ammo choice. Posters will quickly determine arfcom isn't the sole source of their data and move on.

When the next Bullet of the Month entry rises up from SHOT to enter the market, just where will we go to discuss it? Not here. Those posts will clog up other forums until the admins force them here, where they will get buried in a sea of AR10 posts.

I don't want to believe that is what was intended, but, there it is. This in no longer the preferred forum for alternate cartridge discussion. Simple as that.

View Quote

I agree with this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Okay, I saw the reason for merging before.  Now, 90% of the posts here are ar10 related.   Its confusing, especially with ar10 variants mixed in with ar15 variants.   It makes little sense to have completely unrelated and incompatible platforms with numerous variations mixed together like it is.

Keep in mind to find ar10 info, a new user would need to stumble in here by clicking the ar15 forum first, which seems wrong.... and then click ar variants.  None of this make sense.

View Quote

I didn't mind the merge but people calling every 7.62/.308 AR a AR10 is irritating.  Every 7.62 AR has a model identification, owners should use it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it could be broken down to large frame and small frame ar's.  I like variants of both but its good to know what you are getting into.  Its not just about 308 anymore guys there are variant calibers and lots of guys shooting them for the large frame.  6.5 creedmoor is growing more and more.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Perhaps I should have specified the large vs small receiver premise.   I did not intend to identify the ar10 separate from the modern cousins. I agree a ar15 variant forum and an ar10 style variant forum or something along that line would make sense.

I prefer to get some variant info here because of the diversity.   If I goto 6.8 forums the grendle is a peice if crap and vice versa.   Just an example, dont start that war please.  If I come here I can at least get differing opinions, mixed with fan boy vitriol...  but now all I get is confusing 308 info... and numerous clarification posts in each thread.  Just read some threads here and you will see.  A couple posts in someone confuses platform.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:59:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I didn't mind the merge but people calling every 7.62/.308 AR a AR10 is irritating.  Every 7.62 AR has a model identification, owners should use it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

surprised you didn't get flamed for that statement
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The same could be said for AR15s.  The takeaway is that you're not going to change what people call them so take a deep breath and don't sweat the small stuff.

-bob
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think it could be broken down to large frame and small frame ar's.  I like variants of both but its good to know what you are getting into.  Its not just about 308 anymore guys there are variant calibers and lots of guys shooting them for the large frame.  6.5 creedmoor is growing more and more.  

View Quote

I agree with the above. A large frame sub forum for all things Ar10 SR25 LR308 etc & keep the variants forum for the 300 blk 6.8 6.5 .458 etc. may stream line things abit. Much like the rimfire pistol caliber sub forum does

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry...responded to wrong post!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top