Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2007 7:48:05 PM EDT
I need some more of the expert advice that I recive from you Guys. I LOVE Sniper rifles,as being in the OVER FIFTY CLASS I need to see what im trying to hit!, and I allready own, ( dont kick me off the forum ), A Yugoslavian M77 in .308 with factory ZRAK scope, a Valmet M-78 HB with Leupold 3x9 and a Springfield Armory FAL HB match also with a Leupold 3x9. I know these are all old school and I want to put together a REALLY NICE up to date Sniper. All that I have to start with is a new Leupold MK 4 M3 in 3.5X10. I was thinking about a M1A but I  owned a Springfield Super Match about 15 years ago and just did not care for it, I like something with a pistol grip. I really dont want a Bolt Action so this is where I need the help of you Guys, As im really interested in a AR-10 .308. In your opinions what would be the best, Bushmaster, DPMS, Armalite Etc,. I for sure will change the rifle config to fit me and I allreaddy have my eyes set on a Magpull stock. So do I want a carbon steel barrel or a stainless fluted one, and how long, 20, 22 or 24 Inch, and since I will be changeing out alot of furnuture am I better off just buying a reciever and go from there. Any pointers that you guys have will be of great help to me as I see a AR-10 in my near future.
My Best Regards To All,
Chefgun

We May Not Allways Agree, But We Will Allways Be Friends.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, DPMS you can get a bull barrel for $900 at R guns. Drop in a new custom SS fluted with a .800-.820 muzzle barrel in 260 rem. or 308 24-26" long and sell the old one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
DPMS is a great choice. Or, buy a lightly used AR-10T for around $1200-1400. There are a couple of prospects on EE here, Guntrader, and Snipershide. As you get comfortable with the rifle, you can start upgrading to the options you want.

Stay away from chrome as you likely won't get better than 1 MOA. Some of the aftermarket SS barrels will be tackdrivers, but the stock -T barrel will likely give you 3/4 MOA. 20" barrel and heavier rounds will be sufficient to 800Y. If you don't like the shiny SS, then get it coated.

At a minimum for any platform, I'd say go free-floated, 20" SS (or 24 if going to 1K) non-fluted. Brake is optional. Get a good trigger. Mine has a Armalite NM, but I have a Geissele in my AR-15. (Geissele's rock) I like Larue mounts in everything.

Good luck,
steve
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello Gene, its Good to here from you!. Anyways Im trying not to get confused with all of this has its mostly Greek to me. Can I more or less get into a NICE AR-10 setup for about 2000.00 not counting my optics ?. I allready have a Leupold MK4 M3 3.5x10 that I picked up at the pawn shop that I work at one day a week, In fact today was my last day, The price of the scope new in the box, I know you wont beleve it, 190.00!!!, Somebody pawned it and did not pick it up so now its in my safe. Everyone that likes guns needs to get a part time job in a pawn shop. Anyways, Back to the AR-10s, I allready have my mind made up on my butt stock. Now to the barrel, I think one of the guys said no crome lined bore, and I have heard that before that you should go with a plain carbon steel, or stainless and I think I would like to go with a stainless 24 inch, mainly as I like the look, free floated of course. I would also like it fluted but I see where there was a comment about that, Why ?, I would also like a removeable flash hider mainly becuse I will also want to add a suppressor. I all so want back up iron sights. So should I just order a DPMS complete lower with all internals and no butt stock?, I know I will add a different trigger and a few other goodies, also whats a good free float tube with rails as I will want a bipod and who knows what else. Anyways please give me some of your Guys opinions as I take them with GREAT RESPECT!, And Gene, If you can will you post a photo of your AR-10 and anyone else that can to give me some ideas. I think this will be a better, and lots more fun choice than the M1A National Match I was heading for!,
My Best Regards To All Of You Guys,
Don ( Chefgun )

We May Not Allways Agree, But We Will Allways Be Friends,, PS, Dixie, My three M92 Krinkov SBRs and my new Yugo RPK from Inrange are on there way home!
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
if you are going to go the custom route(which i sugest) it doesnt matter what brand(armalite or dpms) personnally i like the armalite better for a few reasons,

ar10 length gas system opposed to ar15 length (smoother)
mags (feal like HK mags)
looks(more tradition vs blocky)

armalite gennerally generally puts more into R and D in improving their rifle whereas DPMS is good at taking existing parts and making them work.

i would say that you could put toghether a ver nice ar10 for around 2000, i know that GAP ar10s were going for 2200 and past of that price is the name.

heres a pic of mine

Link Posted: 9/22/2007 4:04:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I did the 24 inch stainless LR-308 DPMS with the 10X Super Sniper scope. It is a fairly inexpensive combo that really performs. In my case, the total investment is a good bit under 1500 bucks including bipod.

I like the smooth handguard on the LR for more comfortable offhand shooting, especially with such a heavy barrel up front.

While cost is not as important to everyone, it is hard to deny the cost/performance ratio of the LR-308.

My DPMS took an evening of dremel tool work to get it to the 100% level. Especially the mags.

However, you seem like you already know the configuration that you want. So, I think a custom build is in order. It won't be cheap, but you will get it just the way you want it. If I were to build an additional 308 (I would not change a thing on the LR), I would use a 20 inch stainless 3/4 inch (or fluted) barrel. Just long and heavy enough to get good performance and light enough to shoot offhand. That one would be built up with light weight in mind, maybe a nice and bright 4x tactical scope.

cujet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 4:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want to mount a suppressor I would not go past 22" on the bbl. Your POI shift with the suppressor mounted vs unmounted will be worse the longer your barrel is. In fact, a 20" bbl is fine out to about 900 yards shooting 175gr projectiles.

I like the DPMS LR-308. Excellent rifle for the price. Mine has a factory fluted SS bbl cut down to 22" and threaded for a flash suppressor. I will eventually replace the bbl to mount a sound suppressor - cutting the bbl so the flutes go all the way to the end does not provide a solid enough shoulder for me to feel comfortable mounting a sound suppressor.

Link Posted: 9/22/2007 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you want to mount a suppressor I would not go past 22" on the bbl. Your POI shift with the suppressor mounted vs unmounted will be worse the longer your barrel is. In fact, a 20" bbl is fine out to about 900 yards shooting 175gr projectiles.

I like the DPMS LR-308. Excellent rifle for the price. Mine has a factory fluted SS bbl cut down to 22" and threaded for a flash suppressor. I will eventually replace the bbl to mount a sound suppressor - cutting the bbl so the flutes go all the way to the end does not provide a solid enough shoulder for me to feel comfortable mounting a sound suppressor.

www.visuality.com/personal/dpms/lr308_lt.jpg

That is a bad ass rifle.  I want one exactly like it but am sort of a n00b all I have are 5.56-.223 rifles.

Eta

Did I mention that rifle is fucking sweet?
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I bought my rifle, Its a DPMS-LR-.308 AP4. I know it just looks like a CAR-15, or M4 on Steroids but that will change and you cant beat the deal this Gent on Gunbroker has. Now get this, the rifle is brand new in the factory hard case with two mags, factory papers and all for 999.99 add 25.00 shipping. Now here is the KICKER for Folks like me that are on a set income from being disabled, and this applys to anyone he said. You pay 200.00 down, and you pay 200.00 a month intrest free, No added cost for as long as you need to pay it off. I talked to him today and he is a VERY UPFRONT Gent, and he has alot more NICE weapons that he offers the same Layaway with, His seller name on Gunbroker is, DIAMOND, and he has a A++ 1498 Rating. The item # I bought is ,80869766, and he has plenty more in stock, as well as other DPMS AR-10s And some Barretts as well. I just thought this would be a great base rifle, and some of the Specs I like about are, Forward Asst, Dust cover and Case deflector. I just wanted to give all of you Guys The HEADS UP on this Seller, as I think with this layaway setup how he has it it might make a DREAM GUN, A REALITY for some one.
My Best Regards To All,
Don ( Chefgun )
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Hello Gene, If your on here tonight!
I changed my rifle order from the DPMS AP4 that has a 16IN M4 barrel to a .308 LR-TAC-20 with the 20 in HB and free floated Quad rail forearm. I think this is a much better choice after reading ALL OF YOU GUYS input, You have ALL been VERY HELPFULL to me and I thank you ALOT!!. Now, Next, I have a Leupold MK4 M3 3.5x10 scope for this weapon. I would like some opinions on the buttstock, Magpull, or CCA, and also what is the best bipod?.
I thank you Guys in Advance for your reply,
Best Regards To ALL,
Don, ( Chefgun )
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:54:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hello Gene, If your on here tonight!
I changed my rifle order from the DPMS AP4 that has a 16IN M4 barrel to a .308 LR-TAC-20 with the 20 in HB and free floated Quad rail forearm. I think this is a much better choice after reading ALL OF YOU GUYS input, You have ALL been VERY HELPFULL to me and I thank you ALOT!!. Now, Next, I have a Leupold MK4 M3 3.5x10 scope for this weapon. I would like some opinions on the buttstock, Magpull, or CCA, and also what is the best bipod?.
I thank you Guys in Advance for your reply,
Best Regards To ALL,
Don, ( Chefgun )

Good for you! You said you wanted a sniper rifle; 20" will serve you better for that IMHO.

I have no experience with the CCA stock. I have the Magpul PRS and I love it. I added the Accu-shot monopod to it which is a really neat setup!

Harris is the big name in bipods, that's what I have ... me and everybody else ...
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:36:26 AM EDT
[#11]
harris bipod, check.  accushot monopod, check, 20 inch Obermeyer barrel, check.

I love my GAP built DPMS!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
harris bipod, check.  accushot monopod, check, 20 inch Obermeyer barrel, check.

i193.photobucket.com/albums/z285/leiasparents5/monopod009.jpg

I love my GAP built DPMS!!!

Post #308, too!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Armalite with 20in barrel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 AR-10's that I have changed out some parts on. My 10T got a PRS on it with the quad rail fiber glass tube, 24" SS bbl and I love that one. Then I got a hold of a 20" SS bbl that I just put together for something different.

Because of that though I had to buy another lower so I didn't keep swapping on my T.

I'll post pics when I get home of the two.

Pat
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
. I dont know alot about scopes so this is something that I found out the HARD WAY!. As I stated in my original post I have a Leupold MK 4 M3 3.5x10 in mint condition that I bought about a year ago from a pawn shop that I was working for, I bought it for 190.00,( What they had in it ) and the manager who is a friend of mine said your getting a hell of a deal, and I was VERY HAPPY, becuse I know this is a 1000.00 scope, or there about. Well today I called Leupold to get a manual for it and they asked me for the Ser#, and that is,8888SC. Will you by now know what im going to tell you, It is a perfect KNOCK OFF made in CHINA!!. I was so pissed off but what can I do. I guess I will mount it on one of my Ruger 10/22s. So now I need the help of you Guys Again. Im needing a good Sniper Scope for my DPMS LR-TAC-20. I have allready ordered a MagPull stock for it and I also need to know the best size of Harris bipod to get. I hope that this ALERTS Guys to be VERY CAREFULL on what you are buying.
My Best Regards To All Of You, And I Thank You for ALL of your HELP,
Don,( Chefgun ).

Damn, man, that sucks!

Well, it'll make real nice glass for a 10/22 anyway, right?

Note to self: never buy optics from the pawn shop where Nitromax works ...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice Joke Dixie Anyways I went scope shopping today to some local Gunshops and took along the Bogus Leupold MK4 Chinese scope!. Some of them looked at it and offerd me good money and wanted me to trade it for a upgrade, and I led them along a little bit, Im not like that, and Im not about to rip someone off just becuse it happened to me, And they still could not beleve it untill I had them get on there computer and go to Leupolds web site that shows you what to look for, About the only remarks I heard was,F#$%@ Chinese SOBs. I think I will mount it on my Cetme! Its a good weapon for the money if you get a good one ,and I was lucky but guys at the range will think, This fool must have money to burn to mount that piece of glass on a Cetme!. Anyways, Im in the market for a TOP SHELF piece of glass, And its come down to a toss up, Leupold Or Nightforce. As Allways I respect Your Guys Opinions, and I know Leupold is Fantastic, But I dont know much about Nightforce except what I have seen in the Gunrags.
Thank You In Advance for Any Help You Can Offer.
Don, ( Chefgun )
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#17]
PS,To my last post, What type of Optics are on all of these Fantastic Looking Weapons in the above pictures?,
Thank You,
Chefgun
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Noveske 18" mid-length gas system barrel, US Optics 1.8-10X SN3, Daniel Defense Lite Rail 14.0, LaRue mount and rings, Troy front and KAC rear sight, Tactical Night Vision's SAR rail for the red dot.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top