Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2003 8:48:07 AM EDT
I'm working on a lightwt "ARScout" for both entry & long range. Currently a custom 16" 1-7.5 freefloat flattop w/ TA11 (8lbs full up) that does 4"@400 yds w/ 77g Fed match. I want to add the "best" surefire considering rgonomics under stress, wt, & durability. Since I want lightwt, I would rather remove the surefire during the day. But ergonomics under stress is essential; I love my Benelli's surefire button pads. Cost is not really an issue & I am willing to start over.

I need help. Please advise which of the following plans and why:

PLAN A. M97 with the standard rear switch? Assumes my finger won't slip off the button under stress (sphincter near eyeballs).Get RAS instead of current lightweight alum fore-end with 1913 rail screwed on?)  How do you use the M97's switch under stress w/o slipping fingers?

PLAN B: M97 with external PAD (can't find on surefire website anymore) mounted to fore-end with bike tubes?  How durable? How fast to mount/dismount? Where locate?

PLAN C: M910AB on weaver rail screwed to alum fore-end (or change to RAS)? I have never used a vertical grip. How hard to switch back and forth between night with vertical and day with hoz.?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The model you ask for in PLAN A could be either
M971P (thumb screws & Pressure Switch Button TailCap)
or
M971C (thumb screws & Click Switch Button TailCap)

If you want ARMS Lever mount rather than thumb screws swap the "1" for a "2".

PLAN B sounds like you want an M971SUxx where "xx" is the length of the cable in inches such as 04, 05, 06, 08 etc.

PLAN C you have pretty much sorted apart from your choice of navigation LED colour:
M910AB-xx
where "xx" =
WH White
BL Blue
RD Red
IR Infrared

You mention that you'd like the ability to remove the WeaponLight. The sounds like you want an ARMS Throw Lever Mount rather than Thumb Screws in which case you'll need an M900 rather than an M910.

I've never tried to use a inner-tube to position a tape pressure switch. I assume it's gonna create a pain taking the WeaponLight on and off though. (?)

Al
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I finally found the M972SU and M972P pages at the surefire page and they look like what I want. Now all I need to do is decide whether to go with the presure pad or button. It looks like I could buy both switches, try them both and see what I want.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Like you I like the built in tape switch (mine in on an SGT 870).  Even better when combined with a disable switch.  However, I will never buy the 500 because my gun spends too much time in a discrete carrying case, and the position of the light increase the "thickness" of the gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay i'll be the DA, what is a "sphincter near eyeballs" situation?  A bad motorcycle crash?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#5]
The sphincter is what puckers up in nasty situations as in "Pucker factor". The nastier the situation, the higher the pucker. Sometimes its just up to the waist. But when it is really bad (e.g., SHF) the the sphincter puckers up to the armpits or eyeballs, or hairline or whatever.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top