Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2003 11:36:54 AM EDT
I just got back from the range and I am pissed...

While I was siting in my M4gery's Aimpoint CompM2-2X 2MOA I noticed that the front flip-up scope cover was half closed... WTF?!?

Under closer scrutiny I noticed that it appeared that the spring failed in the scope cover.  I got home and examined the problem further.  After I pushed out the drift pin that holds the scope cover in place I noticed that the spring end in the side of the cover had slipped inside the scope cover resulting in a very flacid spring action. I reset the spring in the correct position and reassembled the cover onto the scope....

end result? The same thing after 1-2 flip-ups of the scope cover....Flacid limp dick spring that rotates freely inside the scope cover

Anyone have simular problems with their Aimpoint scope covers??

advice?
Thanks,
Tim
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the same type problem.  I called Aimpoint and they sent a replacement cover at NO charge.  They have great customer service.

BTW, I bought the Aimpoint from someone on this board and they shipped it with the broken flip-up cover.  Aimpoint didn't care where I got it; since it was an Aimpoint, they would fix it.  I had not even filled out the warrenty card at that point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Had the same thing happen to me, and I fixed it:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=163434&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone.... I am a bit calmer now that I see a few people here have had the same problem.  I will call Aimpoint tomarrow... get meself a new cover!

Thanks for that link to the thread Lumpy... Thats what I am going to do with the spring. I was actually going to do just that but got side-tracked by a phone call.

Thanks again!

Tim

*** I just did Lumpys fixer to my Aimpoint spring.. It works like a charm!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW, if you set them so they are down when open then you don't have to worry so much about them getting in the way if the spring fails.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I keep hearing people talk about having the lens covers flip down, but I can't seem to get mine to budge.  Am I just being to gentle with them or what?  Is there some kind of trick to it I should know?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy an EOTech! [;)]

Seriously, though just ditch the flip-up cap.  When I had an Aimpoint I never used one and I had no problems without it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I keep hearing people talk about having the lens covers flip down, but I can't seem to get mine to budge.  Am I just being to gentle with them or what?  Is there some kind of trick to it I should know?
View Quote

Trust me, they'll turn. I was worried about breaking mine, but after reading a thread about it on this board I gave 'em a good twist and now they flip down flat against the top of the receiver like they should. Go ahead and twist them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy an EOTech! [;)]

Seriously, though just ditch the flip-up cap.  When I had an Aimpoint I never used one and I had no problems without it.

View Quote

Blah...whatever [:D]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have mine set up where they flip down.  The cap never gets hung up or in the way.

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/brobert/ar15/websize/DSC00020.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#11]
That happened to mine too.  I fixed it also in a similar way to Lumpy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup... I tried turning them down after I did Lumpys spring fix solution tonight but I need a riser for the ARMS ring. I have the 2X version and the front of the scope is ALOT wider than the rear of the scope so the front cap cant fold flat without the use of a riser from ARMS.

Mine flip straight up for now.  But I like the flip-down way better that you have above ^

Tim
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have mine set up where they flip down.  The cap never gets hung up or in the way.

[url]http://photos.imageevent.com/brobert/ar15/websize/DSC00020.JPG[/url]
View Quote

Thats cool, so do I.  But when the spring gives, it wont flip all the way down onto your handguards, and even the slightest tap upward will move it into your field of view.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buy an EOTech! [;)]...
View Quote

Word. [banana]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy an EOTech! [;)]...
View Quote

Word. [banana]
View Quote

To quote Wes:  WTF am I going to do with a 65MOA circle of dots? [:p]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#16]
EOTech? Yup.... Thats on my list to get in the future.  To appreciate all of them... one must OWN one of everything!  Now tell my wife that and see her face get all red ...hehehehehehe!

Tim
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top