Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 4:55:34 AM EDT
I was told yesterday that the ARMS #40 buis have a LOT of problems, (they basically fall apart), and to stay away from them. I was advised that the Troy is the way to go. I notice that there is a 10 page thread about  Troy rear sights leaning.
Have any of you guys had problems with the ARMS #40?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:04:25 AM EDT
[#1]
they don't "basically fall apart"

The nut that secures the sight to the receiver can come loose and fall off if you don't use the loctite they provide with every sight, exactly the same way that every component that is on your AR with a screw or a nut can.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:12:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both the ARMS 40a2 and a Troy dual aperture BUIS.  

I have never had any problems with my ARMS 40 and it's on my older carbine with over 9500 rounds through it.  I also haven't babied my ARMS 40 and it's been banged around but it's still going strong.  

I've been on this board since the mid/late 90's and I've never seen a broken ARMS 40, I've heard of a couple of second hand stories and I've also heard people mention that they fell off while shooting.  I know there a quite a few ARMS 40's out there and I can't even remember any negative posts about them breaking or falling apart. IMHO, probably 98% of the ARMS 40 issues was probably operator issues like improper installation and not using Loc-Tite.

I've not used my Troy BUIS as long but it appears to be even more bullet proof than my ARMS 40.  I like the same plane dual aperture and the way it deploys and better then the ARMS 40.  My Troy BUIS does not appear to have any leaning issues when mounted to my flat top.

Between the two I like the Troy design better.  If you get a Troy BUIS make sure to have the dealer check that it doesn't have the leaning issue and that's it's also not one that's been "fixed" with a shim.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#3]
It was one of the dealers here that advised me against the ARMS #40. He said that they had to quit stocking them because the ARMS #40 didnt sell, because of all the problems.

ETA: I actually wanted an ARMS #40L
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It was one of the dealers here that advised me against the ARMS #40. He said that they had to quit stocking them because the ARMS #40 didnt sell, because of all the problems.

Be more specific please. What problems? "Basically falling apart" simply does not happen.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
5 p.m. ET September 30, 2005
Atlantic Research Marketing Systems, West Bridgewater, Mass., was awarded a not-to-exceed ceiling $7,610,948 firm-fixed-price, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity multiple award contract for delivery of up to 92,877 (EA) backup iron sights II (BIS II) (#40L) and associated data

Crane seems to like them
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be more specific please. What problems? "Basically falling apart" simply does not happen.

5 p.m. ET September 30, 2005
Atlantic Research Marketing Systems, West Bridgewater, Mass., was awarded a not-to-exceed ceiling $7,610,948 firm-fixed-price, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity multiple award contract for delivery of up to 92,877 (EA) backup iron sights II (BIS II) (#40L) and associated data

Crane seems to like them

The gentleman advised they didn't carry them anymore, because of all the issues with them. I asked what kind of issues? The response was something along the lines of: they come apart and I should use another brand if I want to avoid problems.
I didn't press the guy for details.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont know what the hell their talkingabout....I like my #40L a lot....seems the smalle apeture is a hair smaller than my TROY....seem to be able to aim better for precision shots...anyway....It is built pretty strong....I can't image it breaking.....I had to shim all 4 of my TROYS front and back. 2 of which were done By TROY....and they shimmed the front a different height from the rear and a whole lot of headaches with windage and cosmetics there...

FLip it up and people are saying it shouldnt matter how it looks( besides the high price)....everything tilts to the left when lookin through the EOTECH...

so....it doesnt matter to some but it bugs the hell out of me.

I dont think you can go wrong with ARMS...besides you can always return it if you buy it directly from them...www.armsmounts.com
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know what these "problems" are I hear of.  I have an ARMS #40A2 and #40L.  Both have been great sights.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe he just  wanted to sell me a Troy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They do cost more.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Amazing, huh? It's $45 more...

Nothing wrong with the ARMS 40, certain people here like to beat on ARMS because it's not the "flavor of the month", but the 40 is a well made, well designed sight. I like the 40L in particular because it defaults to the small aperture, I hate the ghost ring and can't hit anything with it.

I've seen MANY more problems here with the Troy sights, from just falling apart, to cant, to their "feature" of the backwards aperture.

I own an early Troy sight that has no problems whatsoever, even has the correct aperture design. I like it but I'd be cautious about buying a newer Troy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 ARMS  no problems ever and not a drop of loctite yet.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 ARMS  no problems ever and not a drop of loctite yet.

This is a mistake. ANYTHING with a screw gets loctite.

C4

A big +1 to what Grant said!  

Maybe you've been lucky but it always seems like the folks who don't take the time to apply a drop of Loc-Tite are ones that complain about crappy sights that break apart and fall off...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You should name names, this dealer isnt doing anyone any favors by passing out such poor information.

I don't want to name the dealer, one of their guys posts here often. I will ask for more information after I recieve my order I placed with him. Maybe they have seen this thread.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I am going to talk to the guy when my stuff arrives. I will ask for details on the issues his customers have had, and then make sure he knows about this thread.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#18]
tagged for reference.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
tagged for reference.

Hey guy. n00b here with a n00b question...

what does it mean when I see people who put "tag" in a reply, or as you did here, "tagged for reference"? I've been on a few internet forums and I've never seen tis before. thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hi ar556223,

The ARMS 40 and the 40L are good I really like the TROY also.   Whatever one you get I’m sure you will like it.  I use a 40L and a TROY myself.  

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks for AR15 Board
What do YOU have to say about CS GunWorks

Hi Mike,
I have already purchased a 40lsp from you a few months back, and like it a lot. I was buying something else from the dealer in question when I asked him about the buis's.
I still havn't called them back, I kinda forgot about it. I will follow up this week.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hi ar556223,

The ARMS 40 and the 40L are good I really like the TROY also.   Whatever one you get I’m sure you will like it.  I use a 40L and a TROY myself.  

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks for AR15 Board
What do YOU have to say about CS GunWorks

Can you give me a easy to understand difference of the 40, 40A, 40L. 40A2, etc...?
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Can you give me a easy to understand difference of the 40, 40A, 40L. 40A2, etc...?
Thanks

And particularly the meaning of "SP" in the #40L.  I mean, I know that I want the #40L, but should I be looking at the "SP" to go on my PD duty rifle.  Please clarify what the heck this means and thanks!

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks

And particularly the meaning of "SP" in the #40L.  I mean, I know that I want the #40L, but should I be looking at the "SP" to go on my PD duty rifle.  Please clarify what the heck this means and thanks!

same-plane aperture (sp?)
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tagged for reference.

Hey guy. n00b here with a n00b question...

what does it mean when I see people who put "tag" in a reply, or as you did here, "tagged for reference"? I've been on a few internet forums and I've never seen tis before. thanks in advance...

Paying members have a My Active Topics page with links to every active thread that they post in.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks

same-plane aperture (sp?)

I was wondering the same thing.  I understand that the hole in the peep stays in the same plane but is there a real advantage to this.  

Another question I have is that I am goign to get a rra elite car sometime in the near future and after a while I will probably get a low power scope good for out to about 200 yards or so.  I want to get an ARMS 40A or 40L but am not sure which one to get.

The main question I have here is this.  I plan on getting a flat top with no carry handle and I want to know if the arms 40 will hold up to range use for as my iron sites before i get a scope or are the arms to be used only as a BUIS and not a primary sighting device.  It would be nice to get used to the arms for a few months until i have th money for a decent scope to put on with a removable mount for closer shooting.  I will probably get the 40L because it sits lower than the 40A but I want to be sure that it will hold up over time.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#28]
new-arguy hit the nail on the head.

it's another Chevy/Ford debate. both are very good BUIS and would serve you well, pick one and be happy in the fact you have a quality  BUIS that if mounted properly with loctite will serve you well for may years.

No one has the market on "Best" anything
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Two more questions.  

Will the arms 40 work with the standard rra elite car front site and will it co-witness with a hakko tacpoint or spot
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm back to my 40L after trying a few other flavors of sights.
use the loctite on anything with a screw.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a #40L and I am very rough on my rifle.  I hate to say no problems because of the "Efren Herrera has never missed a field goal from this distance..." effect but it has held up very well.  I had a LaRue before but wanted a folding rear.  I have no problem with Troy.  I'm sure that they are the "top of the line."  Just saying that I don't think you should be too concerned about the #40L.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#33]

The main question I have here is this.  I plan on getting a flat top with no carry handle and I want to know if the arms 40 will hold up to range use for as my iron sites before i get a scope or are the arms to be used only as a BUIS and not a primary sighting device.  It would be nice to get used to the arms for a few months until i have th money for a decent scope to put on with a removable mount for closer shooting.  I will probably get the 40L because it sits lower than the 40A but I want to be sure that it will hold up over time.

Thanks

Your line of thinking is sound.  Get used to your BUIS, then become proficient with whatever other optics you add later.  The ARMS 40L is a fine choice, don't sweat it.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top