Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 9:43:53 AM EDT
I am leaning towards getting a mil-spec arms sir complete upper from bushmaster .. its kinda spendy.. so heres the question- is it worth the price? I am assembling a no-ban celebratory black rifle, no other purpose.  So the question is, is it that good - compared for example to the BMAS rail system, or other rail systems that also offer multiple mounting points for extras.  I guess I'm trying to justify the cost in some way.   thanks..

also, anyone with pictures, please post so I can see what you've done with your ARMS equipped rifle/carbine .. thanks

-mb
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
mil-spec arms sir

That is an oxymoron.

Anyway, I've handled them and there are good quality rail systems, but they felt fat and clumsy to me, so I passed on getting one.  I might buy one of the EE for a good price, but I wouldn't buy one at retail.  Too many other rails systems out there that better fit my needs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one for sell if interested.. With rear site.. Make you a great price

it does create a somewhat larger surface area at the front of your weapon.. Kinda nice though.. it isnt really a weight issue.. just a personal preference really...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#4]
They are tank, but it is indeed heavier than other FF systems.

The main complaints I have with SIR is;

1.Raised top rail (but this is also the factor that mounts SIR so secure)
2.Heavier.
3.3,6,9 o'clock rails are distant (relatively speaking) from the bore.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
storm, are you talking the fore-end only, or an upper?.. also which ver ARMS do you have.. I am looking for the pre-ban type.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#6]
45M I do have it currently installed on an upper.. Something  I may consider selling all together.. Email me scotty_nova"at"yahoo"dot'com and we will chat about it further
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a Troy or LaRue.  Cheaper and the quality is just as good.  Neither raises the rail height either.

Personally, I would get the Troy since they are simpler to install and remove with 2 pieces.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the SIR , dont worry about the extra bux , its personal preference and if your interested enough to ask this bunch of psychopaths for their opinion , you have the itch. I have a #50 bi-level and I could n't expect anymore out of it , the sight axsis is that much different , the barrel is still in the same place and it cools off very quickly .I guess if had a rail system from a different maker I'd be in their corner , but as it is ... you decide
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Get the SIR , dont worry about the extra bux , its personal preference and if your interested enough to ask this bunch of psychopaths for their opinion , you have the itch.

hehe.. yeah.. I suppose you might have hit the nail there..  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ARMS SIR - worth the price?

no.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Get a Troy or LaRue.  Cheaper and the quality is just as good.  Neither raises the rail height either.

Personally, I would get the Troy since they are simpler to install and remove with 2 pieces.

correction,  The Quality is 1000% better  both Troy and LaRue make excellent products!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Although the SIR is worth the price to me you need to ask yourself the same question.

But

There's places that sell them far cheaper than Bushmaster does, fwiw.

I hear some complain about the weight, which is kind of funny since it only weighs a few ounces more than a set of M4 handguards.

Edited to add the requested pic - Kind of blurry from resizing.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#13]
ill make you alot better price than new.. mine is like new.. lets help each other out..

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I like mine!  

-Hershey
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I hear some complain about the weight, which is kind of funny since it only weighs a few ounces more than a set of M4 handguards.

What M4 handgaurds are you talking about?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
so heres the question- is it worth the price? -mb

NO
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the full length rifle version, and it weighs a ton. I am a recent convert to lightweight stuff, so while I will hang onto it, it won't be my "full time" rifle.

Another thing to consider is what you're going to hang off of your rail. Tando Down grips won't fit the bottom rail, and they aren't making the bottom SIR adapter plate anymore.

Go with LaRue or Daniel Defense. You will be better served with those.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#18]
All I can say is that I've tried it and now I'm moving onto a lighter, smaller and more versitle forearm like the AR below the one with the ARMS SIR.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What M4 handgaurds are you talking about?

He's probably talking about the fact that if you take a M model SIR system, and put iton your rifle, it will weigh like 4 oz more (something like that) than all of the parts you took off to replace it. That weight ratio included the weight of the removable carry handle, M4 handgaurds, delta ring, snap ring, weld spring, sling swivel... I think thats it?

10-4
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#22]
i hate sir
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top