Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2004 6:56:14 PM EST
I have installed a Badger Tac Latch and im not sure I like it. I have a RRA A3 so I put it in to assist b/c of the scope and I often wear gloves when using my AR. I find the added ease of charging my AR great but there are some downfalls as well

I have found that when I am slinging my AR (around to my back) for hands on work or when the AR sits at the cross-chest ready position that the Tac Latch digs into my chest or back.

Do any of you have advise on how to avoid this or a possible solution to the Latch digging into me?

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:57:18 PM EST
Ditch it and get the PRI big latch. That's what I did, and I'll never go back.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:58:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:59:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/25/2004 7:00:44 PM EST by Yojimbo]
Another vote for PRI! It's big enough to use easily but small enough not to hang up on other gear.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:59:50 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:00:33 PM EST
PRI latch....hooooahhhh!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:03:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/25/2004 7:27:42 PM EST by Thumpernator]
See, this is my problem now. I got the badger at a good price from a local store. The guy however does not carry the PRI stuff. He is weird but anyway.

So everyone thinks the PRI is better huh? I shall have to investigate!!

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: Ordered the PRI Biglatch. Should be here in a week.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:11:06 PM EST
PRI............... not too much or too little.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:12:06 PM EST
I'd buy one if they made one that stuck out on the right side.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:12:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:14:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By Backstop:

As a lefty, I'd appreciate such a latch.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:14:38 PM EST
I've tried the others, they all sucked, than tried PRI, happy camper now.

TG
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:16:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/25/2004 7:17:13 PM EST by Backstop]

Originally Posted By HKocher:

Originally Posted By Backstop:

As a lefty, I'd appreciate such a latch.

I'm a righty, but use my right hand to charge my weapon. Hmmm...IBTL.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:18:08 PM EST
I've got a Badger Tac Latch on my M4 and I really like it - but then, I'm left-handed. I think I'd feel very differently if I were right-handed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:23:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
Psssssssstt...Thumpernator

Talk to that guy named Treetop a couple posts above. I think he can hook you up

Well shit. I have already ordered one. Ill see what TT can do.

Thanks for the 'hint'.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:29:30 PM EST
Lefties-for-Tac-Latches Unite!

If I was right-handed, however; I'd scream every time I did a transition drill: that sucker sticks out there!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:35:28 PM EST
I'll bet right side tac latches would sell. There's gotta be quite a few lefties and righties like me who use their right hand.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:55:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/25/2004 9:55:38 PM EST by Kisara]
Who's pic is this>
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:57:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:02:42 PM EST
Glad he didn't ask about the receiver wear from those...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:58:21 PM EST
Don't get one unless you have a serious need for it. It doesn't look cool, there is usually little legit need for one, and make sure you get the good one if for some reason you HAVE to have one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:29:41 AM EST
I am happy with my latch just the way Mr. Stoner drew it. I was also perfectly happy with my standard FCG, now I have an RRA two stage. I may eventually have to try a PRI latch, just cause of the rave reviews.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:53:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 4:54:30 AM EST by 02Overlander]

Originally Posted By Stickman:
there is usually little legit need for one

If you mount a scope on your flat top you'll quickly see there's a legit need for one.
Buy PRI
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:33:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By 02Overlander:

Originally Posted By Stickman:
there is usually little legit need for one

If you mount a scope on your flat top you'll quickly see there's a legit need for one.
Buy PRI

The value of a tactical latch is obvious if one has a scope, single point sling, or both on the carbine. The support hand cycles the rifle. The firing hand remains where it belongs, on the pistol grip.

Someone mentioned the pain of the latch in the chest. Pain is a relative thing. I find any discomfort from the latch in the chest is minimal, especially if wearing a chest rig. The pain of ripping off a finger nail when I cycle the rifle with my support hand would be greater.

Don't know what the differences between the PRI and the Badger tactical latches are. I don't know PRI. I do know Marty Bordsen (sp?) of Badger and I trust his products.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:41:59 PM EST
My PRI is infinitely easier to use than the standard latch and I'll have one on every AR I own from now on.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:22:38 PM EST
If you are reloading right, you will only use a charging handle once in a shooting session (or comabt). I have one on a scoped rifle. That is the only need for it.

If your rifle is scoped get one, if not, don't.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:29:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By El_Roto:

If I was right-handed, however; I'd scream every time I did a transition drill: that sucker sticks out there!

Add me to that list I have the badger tac latch and it works for me. I am also left handed and it is not a issue for me. To fix the problem with the wear on the receiver I took a stone and smoothed out the edge on the latch that locks into the upper.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:30:39 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:05:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 6:14:30 PM EST by El_Abogado]

Originally Posted By hispeedal2:
If you are reloading right, you will only use a charging handle once in a shooting session (or comabt). I have one on a scoped rifle. That is the only need for it.

If your rifle is scoped get one, if not, don't.

I don't agree that the only time you'll need a tac latch is when you've got a scope. If there is a malfunction, I prefer a non-diagnostic malfunction clearance - tap, tug, and rack (the charging handle with support hand), while leaving my firing hand on the pistol grip. Having the tac latch speeds the racking of the action. Having a single-point sling makes racking the action difficultl, without a tac latch.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:12:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
PRI.....

Re: rec'r wear if you have a steel latch of any make it will wear the rec'r. Steel is harder than aluminum and I know my 4 are showing wear using the PRI.

YMMV.

Absolutely right! (A Twilight Zone moment ... ???)

PRI = Steel : Receiver = Aluminum -> BAD

Badger = Steel : Receiver = Aluminum -> BAD

If you do not beleive the Badger AND the PRI are made of steel (evidently some unscrupulous dealers are telling folks they are Aluminum) test them with a magnet.

Hint: Magnets do not stick to Aluminum.

You will definitely see increased receiver wear with the PRI and Badger latches.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:39:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:42:40 AM EST

However, I have noticed that the PRI being smaller, requires a more deliberate effort to "unlatch" and thus isnt "raked" over the aluminum detent to the degree the Badger is. Also, being lower in profile, gear isnt constandly moving it against the detent notch.

what he said. also the angle on the part that makes contact with the upper is less aggressive
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:50:12 AM EST

I don't agree that the only time you'll need a tac latch is when you've got a scope. If there is a malfunction, I prefer a non-diagnostic malfunction clearance - tap, tug, and rack (the charging handle with support hand), while leaving my firing hand on the pistol grip. Having the tac latch speeds the racking of the action. Having a single-point sling makes racking the action difficultl, without a tac latch.

+1
IAD's: PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:18:43 AM EST
Had the Badger. Liked it. Did notice receiver wear.

Switched to the PRI for the above articualted reasons.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:16:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 5:20:55 AM EST by Yojimbo]
My experience with wear and tear when using the PRI latch is that it will take a bit of finish off and slightly wear the sharp edges of the latch retaining detent but once it's "broken in" it appears the wear and tear levels off to almost nothing.

IMHO, unless you have a safe queen or some other collectors piece it's nothing to be concerned about...

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:36:06 AM EST
PRI....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:11:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:13:37 AM EST
I have a Tac Latch and I could honestly take it or leave it. I can't say the PRI would be any better... but I won't be putting either one on my other AR unless I start shooting a lot more an notice a difference in performance between the two. It's a bells and whistles part that really doesn't make anyone a better shooter. If you really like the idea of the extended latch maybe you should try one of the side charging receivers...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:20:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 2:20:28 PM EST by metroplex]
Isn't the STOCK latch steel?

It certainly wasn't anodized like the rest of the handle, and it was covered in grease/oil when I got it from RRA.

BTW:

The pain of ripping off a finger nail when I cycle the rifle with my support hand would be greater.

Been there, done that. I have LONG fingers and BIG hands. Guess what? My grip slipped while I was checking the rifle for function and the rebound action slammed the handle into my middle finger causing a blood blister to form and took a chunk of my nail along with it. Luckily I was too busy this week to trim my nails and it caught the excess of my nail.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:43:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By metroplex:

No, it's aluminum.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:12:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 12:15:03 AM EST by DevL]
[
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:19:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By metroplex:

stock latches are definitely aluminum.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:23:38 AM EST
The PRI latch looks too small.

Almost all aftermarket latches are steel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:24:02 AM EST
PRI, there's nothing else that works as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:20:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 6:27:38 AM EST by Forest]

PRI latch.

everything else is just gay

One again I'm in awe of Lumpy's wisdom and straight forwardness.

a big +1

Someone mentioned the pain of the latch in the chest. Pain is a relative thing. I find any discomfort from the latch in the chest is minimal,

try wearing that rifle during a carbine class when you're not dressed like Rambo. There are no such issues with the PRI.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:31:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By El_Roto:

I am a lefty and found that the taclatch works very well for me. I couldnt imagine not having it. However I had no idea there were so many different kinds out there. I ordered the one the Bushmaster sells on thier website. So far it works great for me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:57:45 AM EST
It's already been beaten into the ground, but my $0.02 and +1 says that everything I own either has a PRI Gas Buster or a standard charging handle with a PRI latch.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:04:52 AM EST
I have the Badger latch. No problems. some wear. I am right-handed and use a Troy single point sling, the latch doesn't bother me at all when the rifle rests......

PRI-vs-Badger, who cares..... Are we going to have a new PRI-Colt fad here?

I.E.,,, "Ur not cool unless you have the PRI bla blabla blah..."
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:15:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 9:15:40 AM EST by El_Abogado]

Originally Posted By Forest:

try wearing that rifle during a carbine class when you're not dressed like Rambo. There are no such issues with the PRI.

I have, for carbine courses with Trident Concepts, SMTC, Pat Rogers, and Gunsite just this last year. No Rambo gear for any of them. I suppose if I let the carbine hang with the top of the rifle pointing to the left, the latch might dig in, but that's not how I train. If the carbine isn't in indoor ready, low ready, or on-target, it's facing top side to the right and I'm transitioning to secondary weapon, or I've slid the carbine and sling to the left so that it is under my arm and pointing down.

The advantage of the Badger is that is sticks out so far. It is easier to catch it and charge the rifle. For some that advantage is a disadvantage.

It's what you like and how you train.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:38:07 AM EST
My friend said his Badger Tac latch scratched his upper reciever, and the ones from badger should be avoided at all costs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:40:53 AM EST
After pulling the handle and letting go only about 20 or so times, the stock aluminum latch has scratched my upper receiver. It's not a big deal because I can see the ejection port cover causing some scratches to the lower, along with the charging handle scratching the lower receiver (where the stock tube is attached) etc... its part of using the rifle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top