Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 6:46:53 PM EST
Kind of thinking about a retroish truck gun build. I know which is better so why would anyone choose the 1:9 non chrome lined barrel over the 1:12 chrome lined? I like the cheaper price tag but my gut tells me stick with chrome lined...

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:11:14 PM EST
I cheaped out and went with the non chrome on one of my A1 builds because I just wanted a barrel to blast cheap ammo out of. I kinda regret it now. Not for any specific reason, I just should have went chrome.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:14:04 PM EST
IMHO the deference in the twist is the ability to shoot heavier weight bullet
with the 1/9 twist. I'm sure someone way smarter than me will come along and fill you in on
the pros and cons.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:23:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By ARKAR:
Kind of thinking about a retroish truck gun build. I know which is better so why would anyone choose the 1:9 non chrome lined barrel over the 1:12 chrome lined? I like the cheaper price tag but my gut tells me stick with chrome lined...

View Quote

I don't know all the details but the 1:12 may not like anything over 55grain bullets. I believe thats what the original M16A1 had in its barrel.

For what its worth I have the AR15 sport non chrome lined 1:9 20" barrel. Seems fine to me for my uses of being a range gun. Can't really comment on its durability as I don't shoot it near enough.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:35:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 9:50:07 PM EST by ARKAR]
Thanks guys. I knew the 1:12 barrels are good for up to 55 grain bullets, the 1:9 are better for heavier bullets. Most of my stuff would be 55 grain stuff and I have plenty of other ARs (1:9, 1:8, 1:7 barrels) to shoot heavier stuff out of. After giving this some thought, I'm going with the chrome lined I think. Would just like to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:57:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2015 12:58:48 AM EST by Cdenmark]
Non chrome lined barrels are generally the more accurate shooter. Chrome lined the more accurate as in current milspec and 1-12 twist for most all LW retro builds but boils down to which year / model as none were chrome lined until 1969- 70ish.

Since ammo isn't corrosive shouldn't have to worry about corrosion except oxidation. Either barrel will usually out perform all but the expert or master shooters. Chrome lined is gonna last longer / wear less / at a slower rate and handle the bad harsh climate / envorinments much better, which might come into play with a true truck gun. Either item being brand new should easily last a very long time unless one has a rather large ammo stash. As stated above the 1-9 will handle a little heavier bullet than the 1-12 will. Personally I get a little better accuracy with the real light stuff (less than 50 grain) with the 1-12. Good luck!
Top Top