Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2003 8:05:58 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting and HK SL8.  Do any of yall have an HK SL8 or have you shot one?  If so, how do you like it?  I know we are all die-hard AR guys, but I also want something different.  If any of you have an HK SL8, have shot one, or have heard news about them please let me know how you like it or what you've heard.  No smart-ass comments please.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I didnt like the thumbhole stock at all and HATED the fact that you could only get 10 round mags for it. Didnt like that the iron sight was floating on a long rail that I was able to flex with my hand.

Some folks are converting them to accept AR mags, and thats a great improvement, but you wind up spending a whole lot extra money and in the end all you have is something different. Not better.

Im all for spending money to improve something in some way, but not for the sole purpose of being different. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#2]
To me there's no comparison.  

(But since you stipulated no "smart-ass comments...." - what "new-arguy said."
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I owned an SL8 for a while and have to agree with everything new-arguy said.

The thing was an HK so it shot very nice. But I couldn't get over the magazines(which are very hard to load) and the dumbhole stock.

The rifle is also quite heavy. In order to make the gun PC they had to make the upper more narrow to not allow double stack mags. This little alteration made the chamber very hard to clean.

I would say it is not very practicle for anthing more than stationary shooting.Unless you are going to drop $2K to militarize it (lighten it up,improve the sights, pistol grip, and mag capacity). Which in my opinion is money better spent on a nice AR.

Now if there was some way to get a civilian legal G36 for ~$1000. I'd be all over it. The SL8 has just been neutered and it's sad (because I love HKs).
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Well thanks for everyone's input.  Sounds like an SL8 is out of the picture now, which is no problem.  However, I would love to get my hands on a G36.  I found some for just over $1000 which surprised the hell out of me.  Too bad they only sell to military and law enforcement...dammit.  I hear nothing but good things about HK G36's.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I hear nothing but good things about HK G36's.
View Quote

I've heard some pretty good things about AR-15's and AR-10's.

I must confess that I despise HK's - over priced and over here.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
HK93 is .223 i think.  the few i saw on gunbroker were around 2k.  i'm thinking about tracking one down if i decide to sell a preban AR lower and some other stuff.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#7]
SL8's are AWESOME, HERES MINE:

[IMG]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/BLUEBLACKSL36.JPG[/IMG]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my SL8s.  Here are mine:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11648[/img]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Larry, are you in law enforcement?  How did you get the G36?

Raptor, is the one on the bottom a G36?  If not, did you put that stock on?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#10]
If an HK93 goes for around $2K, any ideas what an excellent condition wide foregrip HK91 is worth?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#11]
HK,
 That is German for TOO MUCH DAMN MONEY !
My boss has a SL8-1, Too heavy, too expensive,
and you can only get 10rd mags, and they are $ 65.00 a pop.

They might be nice and if you like HK fine,
But for what you would have in it (after all the nessessary mods)
you could have two real nice ARs.
Or a lot of other stuff.

After my experience with one at the range,
I'll just stick to ARS and FALs.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

LarryG36 is an FFL and he gets to play with a lot of cool toys.

View Quote

The one on the bottom is a Special Weapons SL8/G36 conversion.  I added a KAC 600m rear flipup sight with rail, a KAC flipup front sight, a KAC RAS and replaced the SW stock with a HK G36C stock.  The SL8 will soon be undergoing a conversion.

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
WRONG O, THERE MarineNP, The bottom one is a SL8, At has a : SW SOCK CONV.
               SL8 K BARREL CONV.
               G36 MAG WELL

[IMG]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/BLUEBLACKSL36.JPG[/IMG]
HERES MY REAL G36K:

[IMG]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/DESERTTOYS.jpg[/IMG]

[50]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#14]
[b]"I didnt like the thumbhole stock at all and HATED the fact that you could only get 10 round mags for it."[/b]

That's what I thought, I didn't like it.

If I could get hi-cap mags, and a real stock, I'd love a real G36 rifle, even a semi-auto only.

I have no interest in a thumbhole 10 round post-ban that costs more than a preban AR.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

LarryG36 is an FFL and he gets to play with a lot of cool toys.

View Quote

The one on the bottom is a Special Weapons SL8/G36 conversion.  I added a KAC 600m rear flipup sight with rail, a KAC flipup front sight, a KAC RAS and replaced the SW stock with a HK G36C stock.  The SL8 will soon be undergoing a conversion.

View Quote

you lucky bastards  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I could get hi-cap mags, and a real stock, I'd love a real G36 rifle, even a semi-auto only.

I have no interest in a thumbhole 10 round post-ban that costs more than a preban AR.
View Quote

As Larry shows above, you CAN get a SL8 to accept AR mags and you CAN get a pistol grip G36 stock. But, if you go this route, you wind up spending [b]*A REAL LOT*[/b] of money. And in the end you dont necessarily have anything better. Just something different.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

As Larry shows above, you CAN get a SL8 to accept AR mags and you CAN get a pistol grip G36 stock. But, if you go this route, you wind up specnding [b]*A REAL LOT*[/b] of money. And in the ned you dont necessarily have anything better. Just something different
View Quote

That is very true, the SL8 is a toy, where as my M4, i can depend my life on it...

I bought a SL8, but the time I got done with it, it was in the 3000 plus range.  for that price, you can have the top of line AR with all the bitchen accessories and lots of magazines plus couple of case of ammo.  I was willing to pay the price for a G36 look alike.  different strokes for different folks.  if you want it and got the money to spend, by all means buy a SL8 and do the conversion, but if you are looking for value, the AR15 is the best on the market.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#18]
If you want a light, polymer semi-auto that isn't an AR15, why not try the AR-180B?  The G36 bolt, recoil & gas system is essentially a copy of the AR-180.  On the plus side, the AR-180B is available, it's half the cost of the HK, without modifications, it uses cheap, available AR15 fire control parts & magazines.  It doesn't have the "cool" optics rail, but you could probably send it to some one and have a 1913 rail bolted to the top for aimpoints, acogs, etc.

The only reason to get the SL-8 and go through the work and expense of making it look like a G36 is if you have lots of money and thats what you want.  That's fine, as I have toys that I know others just shake their heads at.  Nothing wrong there.  But if money and practicality are issues....
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If an HK93 goes for around $2K, any ideas what an excellent condition wide foregrip HK91 is worth?
View Quote

You're a little off topic, but I'll answer it anyways.....HK 91's go for less than HK 93's.

Usually $200-400 less than a similar condition 93 and 91's are harder to sell....
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I have the following .223 rifles (all in excellent condition):
- Colt HBar AR15 (1986 vintage - bought new)
- HK93A3 (collapsible stock - bought used, 98%)
- FNC (folding stock - bought new)
- SL8-1 (in its original condition - bought new)

The most accurate (without question) = SL8-1. The most durable (educated guess) = FNC and HK93
Most comfortable to shoot = SL8-1 and AR15
And they all digest surplus ammo without any problem.

The one that generates the most interest at the range = SL8-1
The one that my wife likes to shoot the most = the SL8-1

My preferences:
1 and 2 = HK93 and FNC
3 = AR15
4 = SL8-1 (but it would be my pick to shoot accurately)

Without question, the biggest problem with the SL8-1 is the 10 rd magazines, as was stated earlier. But they can now be bought for about $25 - check some of the auctions and also www.hkpro.com

My favorite rifle overall = HK91A2 (7.62mm)

Alex

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top