Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 3:54:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 5:48:14 PM EST by 556Cliff]
Any reason to use an M16 firing pin over an AR15 firing pin, or is there any reason to use an AR15 firing pin over an M16 firing pin in a semi-auto rifle?

Just a question I don't know the answer too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:36:29 PM EST
As far as I know there the same thing, its the bolt carrier thats different. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:00:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By DSOTM518:
As far as I know there the same thing, its the bolt carrier thats different. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm wrong.

The coller on the M16 firing pin is larger in diameter.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:08:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By 556Cliff:
is there any reason to use an AR15 firing pin over an M16 firing pin in a semi auto rifle?

Just a question I don't know the answer to.

As mentioned already, the collar on the M16 firing pin is larger. If you have an unshrouded bolt carrier, the M16 firing pin will hang up on the notch of an AR15 hammer during cycling and it will bend the firing pin retaining pin and eat up the chrome on the collar.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:21:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

is there any reason to use an AR15 firing pin over an M16 firing pin in a semi auto rifle?

Just a question I don't know the answer to.

As mentioned already, the collar on the M16 firing pin is larger. If you have an unshrouded bolt carrier, the M16 firing pin will hang up on the notch of an AR15 hammer during cycling and it will bend the firing pin retaining pin and eat up the chrome on the collar.

I use the shrouded carriers. So does it not matter what firing pin I use?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:29:04 AM EST

That is correct.

Personally, I do not like the M16 firing pin as since the collar is a bit larger there should be (although probably not much) more added weight/mass. Since the AR has a free floating firing pin it seems to me the less weight/mass the better. I would not go so far as to say to go to a Ti firing pin, they are too damn expen$ive and get trashed right away if you ever pierce a primer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:34:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 5:41:15 PM EST by 556Cliff]

Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:

That is correct.

Personally, I do not like the M16 firing pin as since the collar is a bit larger there should be (although probably not much) more added weight/mass. Since the AR has a free floating firing pin it seems to me the less weight/mass the better. I would not go so far as to say to go to a Ti firing pin, they are too damn expen$ive and get trashed right away if you ever pierce a primer.

I wonder how much of a weight difference there actually is between the M16 and AR pins?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:51:47 PM EST
BTT.
Top Top