Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2008 8:17:29 PM EDT
Im looking to purchase an AR15 style rifle for under $700, Does anyonw know of any good qualtiy AR15 style rifles for that i can get for under $700.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
CMMG bargain bin ARs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#2]
if you wanted just a lower priced AR, i got a cavalry arms for 200 shipped (FFL transfer fee adds more), and you can get a delton upper for like 400. 600ish. assuming FFL transfer fee, shipping and you buy a mag or two with the gun, 700 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
DPMS Lite 16's are great values if you want a complete gun.  They go for under $700 and work very well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 4:00:23 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
CMMG bargain bin ARs.

You beat me to it!  
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Now as far as me building the AR, would this be a cheaper alternitive because honestly im going to have to do have to have some work done to the rifle anyway to make in NY legal such as dethreading the barrel etc. which is going to cost me about 150

Also, Is it very complicated to build up one of these rifles for someone with relitivly no experience?
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I also heard that if i were to put a preban lower or upper on the rifle it would make the whole rifle pre ban, thus allowing me to put what ever i want on it, is this true?

Also are there any pre ban AR15 mags that i could find because i realy dont want to be stuck with the 10 round mags
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Now as far as me building the AR, would this be a cheaper alternitive because honestly im going to have to do have to have some work done to the rifle anyway to make in NY legal such as dethreading the barrel etc. which is going to cost me about 150

Also, Is it very complicated to build up one of these rifles for someone with relitivly no experience?

Just order a complete post-ban upper.  I got my Stag 2H complete upper in post-ban configuration from Pete @ Legal Transfers for $489 shipped to my door.  I live in NY too.  The upper came with the bayo-lug hacked off and ground smooth (looks great where it was refinished), and a permanently attached brake.  So it was good to go in NY.  I decided to forgo the build it yourself, and got a complete upper, and will be ordering a complete lower soon.  Slap them together, and I'm done.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I also heard that if i were to put a preban lower or upper on the rifle it would make the whole rifle pre ban, thus allowing me to put what ever i want on it, is this true?

Also are there any pre ban AR15 mags that i could find because i realy dont want to be stuck with the 10 round mags

Using a pre-ban lower will allow you to have all the evil features you want in NY.  But the reverse is not true, you can't throw a pre-ban upper on a post-ban lower.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#10]
There is some controversy surrounding this, and I'm not sure about the exact wording in the NY state laws.  But typically, a pre-ban lower will make the entire rifle legal assuming the lower was built into a rifle before 1994.  Many people have requested documentation from the manufacturer to prove that their lower was pre-ban, and assembled.  The gray area surrounds stripped pre-ban lowers.  No one is sure if a stripped pre-ban lower (one that was never assembled into a fire arm) will make a rifle legal.  Build at your own risk.  

Pre-ban upper doesn't matter.  I believe in all states, the lower is considered the firearm (controvery surrounding whether the lower needs to be assembeld or not).  This is the only portion that has a serial number, that requires registration, etc.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Using a pre-ban lower will allow you to have all the evil features you want in NY.  But the reverse is not true, you can't throw a pre-ban upper on a post-ban lower.

Do these "evil fetures" include over 10 round mags? or do i still have to get the mags pre ban?
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
CMMG bargain bin ARs.

completely agree. I purchased one about 2 months ago and I couldnt have been happier with it. They say possible scratches or blemishes, however mine looked brand new
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do these "evil fetures" include over 10 round mags? or do i still have to get the mags pre ban?

You still need pre-bans if the mags are over 10 rounds.  I asked around here too, where to get pre-bans.  Most said in the EE.  I got a few coming from a guy on a different forum.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I just ordered the DPMS RFLP-WCP Sportical in 5.56...$630
I'm getting mine from a local dealer who matched this pricing:

www.medlockgunrange.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=39&category_id=15&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

There was a gun broker.com dealer who had it for $629 as well

http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/093720000/93720132/pix1066594531.jpg
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Do any of the CMMGs, DPMS etc. come with attached muzzle breaks and ground down bayo lugs because that would save me alot of money

Also If i do decide to go with a preban lower reciever, would it be possible for me to attach one of those fake M203s that shoot flares, chalk etc. to the rifle legaly in NY?
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Do any of the CMMGs, DPMS etc. come with attached muzzle breaks and ground down bayo lugs because that would save me alot of money

Also If i do decide to go with a preban lower reciever, would it be possible for me to attach one of those fake M203s that shoot flares, chalk etc. to the rifle legaly in NY?

You can order them in ban configuration from almost any maker. Just let them know.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Heads up on the CMMG Bargain Bin rifles, they are no go in NY.  There was a NY guy asking CMMG in one of their threads, they said the Bargain Bin rifles are "as-is", they wont post-banify the bargain rifles.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I say build from a complete kit. I put mine together for just under $600 and it was easy as pie.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
DPMS Lite 16's are great values if you want a complete gun.  They go for under $700 and work very well.

+1
Been shootin the shit outta one for about a year now & love it
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 for the DPMS lite. I have had one for about a year now. No malfunctions at all. It shoots any kind of ammo I have came across.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#22]
They come with the A1 site correct? Whats involved changing it to an A2 style? I'm a newb and deciding on if I want to go ahead and jump into a "tacticool" rifle or a KISS gun.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top