Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 10:48:56 AM EDT
I was wondering if you guys would help me come up with a parts replacement schedule by number of rounds fired for the AR15.

The standard for this should be with the goal of having an absolutly 100% reliable service weapon.  In other words, for a plinker you might let the round count get higher for replacing certain parts, but for a service weapon or SHTF weapon, you might want to replace certain parts after a certain number of rounds fired in order to help prevent a breakage when your life or someone else's depends on the proper functioning of the rifle.

I am not going to offer any suggestions and let the people with a lot more knowledge then me weigh in on this.

A made up example would be:

1000 rounds:  extractor

1500 rounds:  gas rings

2000 rounds:

2500 rounds: charging handle

3000 rounds: bolt

5000 rounds: carrier key / carrier

etc.

BTW, those are totally made up figures, just to give an example.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t think you can pin down an exact round count for use in parts replacement. Your best bet I think for a dependable weapon lays in proper cleaning, inspection and lubrication.

Keep your weapon clean and during the cleaning process inspect the individual parts for defects. Lube IAW the military -10 Operators Manual or the manufactures Operators Manual using a quality lube.

Adhere to these simple steps and your on your way to enjoying a dependable rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 Quib...preventative maintinence and inspection is all you need..youll know when something needs replacing if you inspect regularly.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
+1 Quib...preventative maintinence and inspection is all you need..youll know when something needs replacing if you inspect regularly.

There is that......    But I suspect he is asking on account of N00bs like me that really have NO clue as to what a "majorly worn/needs to be replaced," part looks like....   In this instance I can appreciate trying to "idiot-proof" the process, kinda like getting your oil changed every xxxx number of miles.

But I can also appreciate the fact that there is no hard and fast rule that the bcg (bolt carrier group, for us noobs) will wear out on round #14,236.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top