Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 10:48:56 AM EDT
I was wondering if you guys would help me come up with a parts replacement schedule by number of rounds fired for the AR15.

The standard for this should be with the goal of having an absolutly 100% reliable service weapon. In other words, for a plinker you might let the round count get higher for replacing certain parts, but for a service weapon or SHTF weapon, you might want to replace certain parts after a certain number of rounds fired in order to help prevent a breakage when your life or someone else's depends on the proper functioning of the rifle.

I am not going to offer any suggestions and let the people with a lot more knowledge then me weigh in on this.

A made up example would be:

1000 rounds: extractor

1500 rounds: gas rings

2000 rounds:

2500 rounds: charging handle

3000 rounds: bolt

5000 rounds: carrier key / carrier

etc.

BTW, those are totally made up figures, just to give an example.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:56:56 PM EDT
I don’t think you can pin down an exact round count for use in parts replacement. Your best bet I think for a dependable weapon lays in proper cleaning, inspection and lubrication.

Keep your weapon clean and during the cleaning process inspect the individual parts for defects. Lube IAW the military -10 Operators Manual or the manufactures Operators Manual using a quality lube.

Adhere to these simple steps and your on your way to enjoying a dependable rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:44:13 PM EDT
+1 Quib...preventative maintinence and inspection is all you need..youll know when something needs replacing if you inspect regularly.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:04:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ChromeLined:
+1 Quib...preventative maintinence and inspection is all you need..youll know when something needs replacing if you inspect regularly.

There is that...... But I suspect he is asking on account of N00bs like me that really have NO clue as to what a "majorly worn/needs to be replaced," part looks like.... In this instance I can appreciate trying to "idiot-proof" the process, kinda like getting your oil changed every xxxx number of miles.

But I can also appreciate the fact that there is no hard and fast rule that the bcg (bolt carrier group, for us noobs) will wear out on round #14,236.
Top Top