Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2005 6:41:10 PM EDT
Hey guys I just had a brainstorm spurred by some of the car forums I used to frequent before I got the BRD. How about we vote for the best AR15 on the site each month. We could take nominations and pick say the top 4 vote getters from the nominations and then vote. I would be willing to run this if it creates enough interest. I could say start taking IM's with the nominations on the 1st of the month let it run for say 7 days and then tally them up. Then I would post the 4 nominees and then have another 7 day window for the voting with the winner annouced at the middle of the month. Good idea? Bad idea? Any suggestions that might work better? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it.

I wouldn't win, but I like it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it looks like good idea and I'm an ass are neck and neck
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
How about the AR15's owners girlfriends wifes picture of the month.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
If that would happen, I believe Mongo would take the pot every month
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Go ahead and give it to Mongo now, but I voted yes anyway.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Coming from you...........

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Drunken monkeys could take clean pics if they had decent lighting....  Its a good thing for me that I keep them well stocked with alcohol!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Stickman is gonna win a lot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Drunken monkeys could take clean pics if they had decent lighting....  Its a good thing for me that I keep them well stocked with alcohol!!

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]
There are a ton of nice AR's on this forum and I would make a rule that you couldn't win two months in a row Also it will be based on the riflw itself and not the picture quality or lack thereof or Stick would win a lot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#11]
So lemme get this straight...out of the thousands upon thousands of cool azz customized AR's here at arfcom....you're gonna screen out "The Top 4"?.....and then ask us to "Vote For" (1)....as in "ONE"?.....

ARE YOU THE ANTICHRIST OR JUST YOUR AVERAGE GARDEN VARIETY SADIST?!!!

and here I am with a brand new carbine waiting for an extractor spring that actually has some "boing" to it.

Good idea....should be entertaining....rock on. Bill.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#12]
i vote yes
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Alright well I guess were gonna give it a shot. I will post the first thread for the nominations and rules on the 1st. Now as for rules I'm gonna need a a little insight from you guys. First off like I said earlier nobody will be allowed to win on consectuctive months and perhaps maybe no more than 3 times per year. Sound good? I also say once a rifle is nominated to the top four once it can no longer be nominated? How about dealers? Should we let them be nominated for their personal builds? They do have an advantage, but they do build some sweet ass weapons. Please let me know what you think of those rules and also if you guys can think of any others. Thanks.

Oh and mods how bout a sticky once I get this up and running
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey now, you don't have a 50% go for it poll yet... Half the votes are still eating their pie
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#15]
good idea
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hey now, you don't have a 50% go for it poll yet... Half the votes are still eating their pie

Not anymore.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I see that, LOL... Everyone must be getting full
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yep and 10 guys think I'm an ass
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep and 10 guys think I'm an ass

Thats better than them thinking its a bad idea
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#20]
See I should have made another option for people that think it's a good idea AND think I'm an ass
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
See I should have made another option for people that think it's a good idea AND think I'm an ass

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Any input on the rules?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I voted yes. Here are some suggestions...

Anybody wanting their AR voted on would have to submit it for the contest. That way neither you nor anybody else would have to go around hunting for new pics of AR's. You don't submit your entry, then your AR is not in the running.

All submissions should be voted on, not just a "top 4"

This contest should be for new builds only, not stuff already posted on this site. If you don't add that, the first month or two may have well over 100 entries.

A specific AR can only be submitted once. Adding a new grip, rail panels or whatever should not qualify it as a "new build".

I agree that a "winner" should not be eligible again for some determined time period (1-3 months?)

This may not be popular but I think dealers should be excluded. Too many toys and accessories at their disposal.

All entries should be accompanied with a full parts list (I hate it when people post pics with no details! )

That's my $.02
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I think it's a good idea but I voted "I like pie" cause i really like pie.

+1 stickman is going to win alot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with just about all of that but I still think we should do a nomination instead of sending your own entries in though. We have a lot of modest builders of awesome AR's here. I also don't think it should be limited to new builds but yes once a rifle has been nominted it cant be nominated again with changes to it's configuration. I don't mind getting a lot of entries but I think we have to limit the final voting to just a few. It wouldn't make sense to be voting on 50 rifles.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Okay how many of you "I like pie" guys think it's a good idea? I knew I shouldn't have given that option.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Interesting idea. Might make a good contest. How about you set that up, make the prize a bronze membership, enter your AR, vote your AR as the AR of the Month and then award yourself a membership.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#28]
How about this:

1. One entry per person (dealers are inelligible)
2. All submissions are posted and voted on during a seven-day period (if the polls allow for that number of entries; otherwise the IM nomination method followed by a poll on the top four or five would be good).
3. Picture must be no greater than 1024x768 in size (or maybe 800x600).
4. No person may win more than three times per year.
5. Only NEW pictures (those not previously posted on this Web site; they can be posted after submission to the contest) are allowed.
6. The pictures must be of an AR15 owned by the person.
7. It does not matter whether the rifle is new or in a different configuration for each monthly entry: just that the PICTURE is new.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#29]
show me mongo's thread  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, I like pie...but that dosent mean I dont think its a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
How about this:

2. All submissions are posted and voted on during a seven-day period (if the polls allow for that number of entries; otherwise the IM nomination method followed by a poll on the top four or five would be good).
5. Only NEW pictures (those not previously posted on this Web site; they can be posted after submission to the contest) are allowed.
7. It does not matter whether the rifle is new or in a different configuration for each monthly entry: just that the PICTURE is new.

I like it, but you might as well add that the picture can't be above a certain overall size.  Otherwise, you will have people throwing 2MB pics in, and all of the people stuck with dialup are going to be choked out of viewing.  400k or so is more than enough.

ETA-  There should also be the mandatory  "FUZ1ON" clause, which states your weapon must be functional......
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I really like the idea. I am also trying to "stickmanerize" my ugly ass pics into works of art.

"More lighting""more lighting"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about this:

I like it, but you might as well add that the picture can't be above a certain overall size.  Otherwise, you will have people throwing 2MB pics in, and all of the people stuck with dialup are going to be choked out of viewing.  400k or so is more than enough.

ETA-  There should also be the mandatory  "FUZ1ON" clause, which states your weapon must be functional......

Thank you for suggesting that idea Stickman Im one of those "people" and would very much appreciate the shorter loading time...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#34]
So it's like "Hot or Not" but for rifles? Is that how it'll work?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

When I saw this thread, I immediately thought Stick would win every week.  He could make a tird look like a beautiful AR, with his photo skills.  I bow to the master of AR presentation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#36]
That'd be a good idea. Stickman would win most of the time but it'd be fun.

(edited for spelling because my cat was laying on my hand...)

ETA: I actually haven't seen Mongo's pics for a while...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
ETA: I actually haven't seen Mongo's pics for a while...

I haven't posted too many in a while.  My photo skills suck so badly, I pretty much gave up on trying.  My build pace has slowed down quite a bit also.  I was building like a madman trying to find what worked best for me and I'm pretty much there, except for small tweaks here and there.  I've got some stuff in the works, but they will be slow in coming.  I've been trying to catch up on machining and reloading thus building and tweaking has taken a back seat for now.  I hardly find time to shoot, anymore.  In the beginning of the summer I was shooting twice a week sometimes, but mostly once a week.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm down to shooting 1-3 times a month now...last week was the first time in a month and that was just 40 rounds of .223 to keep my AR from "freezing to death". I need a case of Wolf desperately...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Interesting point... it won't be based solely on the AR itself but how good the overall picture/presentation is. If some tool takes a picture with his crappy camera phone odds are he won't be winning.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#40]
One more rule.

NO PHOTOSHOP!

that's cheating.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
One more rule.
NO PHOTOSHOP!
that's cheating.

What do you mean by Photoshop? Image manipulation? Or even simple photo correction? That's kind of a broad statement. Photoshop can be used to clean up an otherwise shitty photo. No harm in that, right?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Being as I don't use photoshop, I would agree that its not needed.  

Minor cleanup of a picture is one thing, but erasing parts or adding in things is another.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#43]
[]

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Being as I don't use photoshop, I would agree that its not needed.  
Minor cleanup of a picture is one thing, but erasing parts or adding in things is another.

Isn't that implied by the original rules of "you must own the gun in the picture"? I woudl think that would include all the bling bling that's hanging off it as well...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#45]
I would think so, but who knows.  My idea of "my gun" is all my gear, not using other peoples stuff...  That would take out the military guys though, and thats just not right.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I would think so, but who knows.  My idea of "my gun" is all my gear, not using other peoples stuff...  That would take out the military guys though, and thats just not right.  

I definitely wouldn't count an issued M16/M4... that's Uncle Sam's gun... or the "tax payer's" gun. It has no definitive owner... just a user.

This should be AR's and M16/M4's that people actually own and have paperwork for where needed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Interesting point... it won't be based solely on the AR itself but how good the overall picture/presentation is. If some tool takes a picture with his crappy camera phone odds are he won't be winning.

What does photography skills have to do with a bad assed AR-15 contest? Is this a photography forum or a weapons forum?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Feel free to take poor pictures.  

You can find out the answer to your own question.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Feel free to take poor pictures.  
You can find out the answer to your own question.  

Here's a pre-emptive
OWNED

for when you submit a crappy picture of a "bad-assed" AR among other bad-assed AR's with exceptional photo quality and presentation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#50]
This sounds like it's going to be as exciting as "Show me your glock".

They all look the same until you hang a bunch of crap off them.  Is the contest going to be about the best "Bling Bling"?  Best scenery?  Photo skills?  Half naked wife/girlfriend holding your AR in dim light taken with your camera phone.  We have a winner.  Tits and ass usually gets the vote around here.  

Seriously though,  its not that bad of an idea.  I wouldn't mind seeing some nice shots of AR's in interesting scenary.  But in the end the same few will probably win most of the time, a soap opera will ensue in the GD, and will all eventually agree to disagree.   Maybe.    

But in the meantime, have fun and I look forward to some pics.  

By the way, I voted I like pie.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top