Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2004 7:18:36 PM EDT
Ok this has gotten to be a bit of a crunch because of work and stuff.  The closest FFL that does transfers is 40 minutes away, and it will be after April before I can get out there again.  

I was eventually wanting 3 AR variants, and I have none right now (seems like all I'm missing is an AR clone and a FAL).  The details for the 3 aren't really important, just different styles.  

I was going to go the build it route as it would be cheaper right now to just get receivers, and I wouldn't have to make trips to the FFL several times.  I could get it all over with at once.

I was looking at getting RRA lowers, but unsure if I should go stripped, complete w/o stock (unsure what I want), or N/M lower w/o stock.  

I'm not a great shot by any means, and don't know how much of a difference there is in the NM and standard trigger set.  There any creep in the standard?  

How difficult is it to put these together?  There gunsmiths I can ship to to have them put a kit and the receiver together?  My hands shake a bit and I can't handle small parts real well.  

How difficult is it to attach a complete upper?  Like if I bought a complete lower, and later a complete upper, does it pretty much snap together, or is there a lot of fitting/gunsmithing involved?

I'm just kind of unsure how it works, and what I'd be best off getting.  

I thought about getting 2 RRA complete lowers (w/o stock) and 1 RRA complete NM lower (w/o stock).  

Or would I be better off just getting 3 stripped and buying lower kits when I want to make a complete rifle?  Or if I want one soon, and 2 in a year or so, just get 2 stripped and one complete lower?  

So confused :(

I was looking at ordering from that Eagle dude...Arms or something.  

Edit:  Kit wise I was looking at M&S or JT Dist.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a great shot by any means, and don't know how much of a difference there is in the NM and standard trigger set.
View Quote
There's a HUGE difference between a stock trigger, and a NM trigger; get the NM!
How difficult is it to put these together? There gunsmiths I can ship to to have them put a kit and the receiver together? My hands shake a bit and I can't handle small parts real well.
View Quote
The lowers aren't all that hard to put together; the only two things that are a pain are the detents for the dust cover, and the pivot pin.
How difficult is it to attach a complete upper? Like if I bought a complete lower, and later a complete upper, does it pretty much snap together, or is there a lot of fitting/gunsmithing involved?
View Quote
The procedure for installing an assembled upper onto an assembled lower is as follows:

1)With pivot and takedown pins out, place upper onto lower

2)push in takedown and pivot pins

It sure don't get much easier than that!

In fact if you want to save some money, you can go with a single lower, and a couple different uppers, each set up differently (but make at least one a flattop, 'cause you KNOW you're going to wanna scope one [;)]). Plus, the uppers can be shipped directly to your door.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:04:56 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are getting it for punching paper, get the NM trigger, or whatever else you want.  If you want it to be a weapon, get a standard trigger.  Building/ assembling the AR15 & M16 series is easy, and there are plenty of people here top help if you have any problems.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool, I think I'll go with a couple of complete standard lowers and a NM lower.  

Are any tools needed to remove/add the upper receiver?  Or can it be done by hand?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top