Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2012 3:17:36 PM EDT
It's killing me, I've been looking at acquiring an AR for months now. To that end I've lurked forums, watched Brownells' videos, youtube videos, read guides, and designed several ARs, none of which I have the money to build. Well, this relationship has finally gotten to the point where I need to be a bit more serious about things so here I am, not lurking anymore. You guys have a great operation here and I hope to keep learning from the boards. To that end, a question:

Has anyone used ar15-kits upper for a build? I'd of course much rather pick and choose every last component from various vendors but I think I can sink my teeth in to one of ar15-kits' uppers without so much pain while still getting something close to what I'd like. After all, there is always the future to tinker, right now I just want the rifle.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I know I'll probably catch some flack for this, but I used Model 1 Sales on my first build, and have been pretty happy there. Yes, i know they are no Colt or LaRue, but they did get me into my first AR build for under $650, minus the stripped lower. Ive heard others say they had some issues with support, but I had a buffer tube end plate that came seperated, and one phone call and 3 days later, they sent me a new one no questions asked. I've got nothing but good things to say about them. Ive researched Del-ton as well, but they never seem to have anything in stock. Long waits, and not as much customization options as Model 1. Bear in mind, your not gonna get the best of the best, but it will get you into an AR for cheap. Word of advice, if your looking for extra 'goodies' like stocks and sight options, order elsewhere online, you can get them cheaper but you will have to install them yourself. Case in point: Im looking to build an A3 with a Magpul CTR stock... They charge upwards of $95 for something you can buy on Amazon for $65. Do your research and shop around if you want to build yourself. Hope I helped ya!
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Consider hitting up some gun shows. I picked up my stripped lower for $75 and then ordered the PSA lower build kit with Magpul stock and grip for another $130. Just a little over $200 and I got a solid lower to build on.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a Stag Model 2H kit (Upper,LPK, and stock) for $614 shipped from here.

Stag Rifle kit
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 4:02:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Did the same.  Kit shipped at $614 plus a doublestar lower from LGS for $90.  Pretty good budget first build
Quoted:
I picked up a Stag Model 2H kit (Upper,LPK, and stock) for $614 shipped from here.

Stag Rifle kit

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies everyone. It will just be a range gun for now. I'm a lowly grad student so this is what's going to get me through my next few degrees.

Oderus1671, I'll put a few looks in to Model 1. They solve my main issues with most of the upper kits. I don't really want the front sight post. I'd rather just have a low profile gas block so I can fiddle with the handguards/rails more easily. I'm a lifelong tinkerer so this rifle won't be left alone over the next few years, there just won't be any major overhauls.

Aimless, thanks for the reference. I don't know anything about J and T. What's the read on these guys? If in fact ar15-kits does just outlet for them, are these parts worth buying? I've looked around on the JT site and I don't see much, and there are a smattering of mentions of them on other forums, some good, some not as good. Thoughts?

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out Palmetto State Armory for kits,great quality and reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#9]
M&A Parts Kits are great for budget builds.  Paid little over $500 for my kit, minus the stripped lower. Ordered it and had it in-hand 3 days later.  Very pleased w/ it.

M&A Parts
M&A Parts - Kit Contents

M&A 16" Chrome Moly Mid-Length Kit - $520 shipped
Del-Ton Stripped Lower - $100 (bought locally)
+ MBUS Rear Sight - $25 (bought locally)
––––––––––––––––––––-
$645 - Functional AR15  <––- From everything I've researched, that is pretty good.

Budget Build Pic
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I say you should swing for a PSA or Del-Ton kit.

My wife and I both have Del-Ton kits in different configs, both with PSA lowers, I love them!

One of the guys I shoot in competition with has a PSA built gun, same deal, excellent build, reliable, fun.

You would be crazy to buy one assembled, since the parts to do it cost all of $10 (Sears Punch set), and anyone who can read and use their hands can build it. Buying it in pieces will save you $$, especially if you look for pieces on the equipment exchange.

Seriously, if you're in or around central FL, I'd be glad to help you build it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I say you should swing for a PSA or Del-Ton kit.

My wife and I both have Del-Ton kits in different configs, both with PSA lowers, I love them!

One of the guys I shoot in competition with has a PSA built gun, same deal, excellent build, reliable, fun.

You would be crazy to buy one assembled, since the parts to do it cost all of $10 (Sears Punch set), and anyone who can read and use their hands can build it. Buying it in pieces will save you $$, especially if you look for pieces on the equipment exchange.

Seriously, if you're in or around central FL, I'd be glad to help you build it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top