Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 10/24/2006 10:52:32 PM EST
I know Olympic make a AR15 in .40 with a glock com lower,
Ive got a trial one arriving shortly, (im conduction a review for my agency) but i have heard some negative things about them (olympics .40) although i shall reserve my judgement until ive put it through its paces myself.

Opinions?
Does anyone else make the AR in .40cal?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 11:15:04 PM EST
Cant wait for that review. They are the only ones who make a .40cal AR right?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 12:02:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By jdmpimp:
Cant wait for that review. They are the only ones who make a .40cal AR right?

AFAIK. It's a shame they're the only ones expanding the pistol-caliber range of the AR15. I think a good 45 or 10mm from Rock River would sell. Especially if they would have C Products make some dedicate mags that would operate a BHO.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:20:50 AM EST
RRA has stated plans to make a .40 version of their 9mm carbine. You can read about it in their industry forum (I think there's a thread in this forum, also).
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:59:55 AM EST
does that mean RRA is considering a 45 too?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:09:14 PM EST
The major manufacturers have been shying away from a .45 version as most double stack, high capacity .45 mags are too wide for a regular AR forgin and would require a new wider forging or be made from billet. Too hard to judge the market for such a major undertaking.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:00:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By kc3:
RRA has stated plans to make a .40 version of their 9mm carbine. You can read about it in their industry forum (I think there's a thread in this forum, also).

+1 RRA is going to make them in .40
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:37:30 PM EST
I am not the expert around here, but I love my rra 9mm (and all rra ar products for that matter) and am waiting for rra to intro the 40 and some high cap mags so I can add one to my personal collection.

As for the oly glock 40 cal AR, I wanted one forever until I handled it. I couldnt get used to the mag release. The manual of arms is slightly different than a regular AR mag release. It is built slightly different, and I just couldnt dig it personally. I was actually a little disappointed.

It doesnt sound like a big deal, but I was trained specifically on the AR platform for a patrol rifle, and the muscle memory/associated actions are relatively similar with the colt style 9mm and 5.56 ARs. In my opinion, the mag release design and functionality on the oly glock AR is different enough to me where I could get screwed up under stress trying to work the mag reloads quickly.

With that said, I have nothing against any of oly's other products. My LE agency issues Oly Arms 5.56 ARs as patrol rifles, and they are well built and fully loaded and are more than capable for routine LEO work. I love the idea of a glock compatible lower, especially since my duty weapon is a 40 cal glock model 22. However, if I bought one personally, it would not be a work gun, but more of a novelty for the gun range.

Once again, I am not an expert, but I am just speaking from my personal experience with this rifle as it relates to me and my training. If your agency is considering these as work rifles, I would strongly encourage you and your guys to demo the guns for a few days and throughly test the magazine functionality (reloads, drills, etc) of them against other oly (or any brand) AR rifles wth traditional ar lowers and mags, as the mag release feels slightly different. Also, if you go the 40 caliber route, factory high caps are out of the question. This would leave me a litrtle concerned in the firepower department, since the nonfactory glock mags have had some feeding problems.

I am sorry for the long post. A guy on one of these boards did a great review on the oly glock rifle when his department bought some. I cant remember where the review was posted but I would search for it. I think they bought a dozen or so of these guns and had some minor issues, but it was an excellent review and was outlined very well.
Hope this helps...
-GD
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:52:11 PM EST
just so you know an uzi 9mm mag will work just fine with 40 sw with no mods at all
Top Top