Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2005 11:10:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 11:17:35 AM EDT by shootsenmeister]
First off let me thank the following AR15 dealers; ADCO, G&R tactical, Bravo Company USA, CS Gun Works and Lauer Custom Weaponry (DuraCoat).

nova.umuc.edu/~ct398a04/ar15/
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:17:21 AM EDT
Boy that sure is a pretty red x.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:19:36 AM EDT
Please be patient this is my first picture posted on line and I was trying to post it in the Rifle / picture of The Month forum.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:19:55 AM EDT
Sweet. Which camo pattern is that? Looks familiar but in different colors.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:21:13 AM EDT
How did you accomplish the pixelation?? (its awesome)
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:32:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 11:32:44 AM EDT by Stickman]
shootsenmeister,

Resized and hosted for you to allow direct viewing. If this offends you, I'll kill the pic, but it might make it easier for people to view this way......

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:39:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 11:42:42 AM EDT by shootsenmeister]
The pixilation can be credited to DuraCoats Urban MirageFlange peel and spray template. Note: I did not simply peal and spray. I modified the template to suit my needs in some places I even cut my own pattern from masking tape.
I supplied Lauer Custom Weaponry with a sample of the new ACU uniform material and they matched up a custom paint that matched my sample. The sand color is a little light compared to my ACUs but overall it matches very well.

Edited

Stickman,
THANK YOU!

Would you mind telling me how you post a picture?

Thanks again
shootsenmeister
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:43:42 AM EDT
wow i like that, well done.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:46:22 AM EDT
shootsenmeister,

When you are making your post or reply, there is a icon with a mountain on the top row. Click that, and a window will appear that tells you to insert the url of the image you want to appear. Put your picture link in the space, hit enter, and you are all set.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:57:44 AM EDT
I dont like the SPRish type rifle, but that camo is suberb! Makes me wanna do it! But I will find some way to mess it up
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:58:45 AM EDT
Excellent job! I don't like our new uniforms enough to duplicate the camo pattern, but you're to be commended on your dedication. I'll put you in for the coveted Coca-Cola with Oak Leaf Cluster.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:00:37 PM EDT
Wow. With a couple touches of dark brown, that would do GREAT in the high desert.

Looks damn good.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:37:44 PM EDT
I like it.

It would be a really good coyote gun as it would blen in really well with the grass around here.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:04:59 PM EDT
that is just flippin sweet.

would like to do one in the same, but just basic green/brown/tan camo, or maybe desert camo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:13:31 PM EDT
Just for those who don't know,
ACU (Army Combat Uniform) is a uniform, not a camo.
AUC (Army Universal Camo) is the camo pattern.
Just like BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) in Woodland, three color desert, etc. camo patterns.

Just to add my opinion, I don't like the AUC pattern. It really does not camo as well as either woodland or desert in their environment. The digital pattern is excellent camo when looking through night vision, though. The Marines got it right with the woodland and desert digital camo.

Pretty good looking paint job. Definately paint the part of the mag that is showing while installed in the gun. I would keep the dry film on the mag body that goes inside the magwell. Mask it off with tape and paint the rest.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:16:22 PM EDT
So is this supposed to be a do-it-all (AKA desert, woodlands, winter) pattern?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:20:30 PM EDT
Also for those that do not know, duracoat is Sherwin Williams POLANE® T Polyurethane Enamel paint.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:23:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:
So is this supposed to be a do-it-all (AKA desert, woodlands, winter) pattern?

WIZZO

That is the Army's idea. It is absolutely a cost saving measure. Us Soldiers only get one unifrom pattern while the Marines get two.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:29:26 PM EDT
That's friggen retarded.

I have a boonie hat in the AUC pattern. I think it's too light for wooded areas, too dark for snow, and just the wrong color for desert.

Course, I'm just thinking with my brain. Something that can't be expected of the gubment I guess

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:29:40 PM EDT
Very sweet
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:31:45 PM EDT
I really like that ......good job
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:39:17 PM EDT

just the wrong color for desert.

But, as painted on that gun, it works in the high-desert of Arizona. Thus why I like it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:56:42 PM EDT
Is there some type of foiliage for it to blend with. I'm just thinking out loud here, but something in subdued browns seems like it'd be better.

I will not argue with you, though. You know your terrain better than I, so I'll take your word for it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:10:59 PM EDT
Sure, there are some terrains where the AUC will fit. Woodland is definately not one of them. Even solid white works in one environment. The point is that no one pattern will be effective universally. IMO, it is an example of the Army putting cost saving ahead of Soldier welfare.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:19:49 PM EDT
Ive seen it in person and i think its very effective in everything except maybe jungle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:27:17 PM EDT
Well, from what I've seen, in real life, and various pictures, the camo seems to work well once in actual environment. The green seems to overpower the other colors in foliage, where as the tan comes out more in deserts. Plus, I've heard that from a short distance the pattern really works well to break up your outline and blend in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:40:03 PM EDT
I have personally seen some of this stuff with some washing behind it and it fades too much IMO.

I was actually really proud of my Corps when I got issued my MC Digital cammies. Now those colors work perfectly.

--Josh
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:52:42 PM EDT
img340.imageshack.us/img340/7650/20050805m7846v0042gb.jpg

I like the John Wayne thing he has going on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:53:55 PM EDT
granted nothing works better than MARPAT...it was the first militairy camo besides flectarn that actualy worked for me. ACU were i am, high desert, lots of rocks and sagebrush will work very well.
I think the army was wise to pick it, for CQB it blends in great with concrete and adobe walls. But if we have to invade vietnam anytime soon they might be wise to find something else.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:56:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:58:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Unreconstructed:
Just like BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) in Woodland, three color desert, etc. camo patterns.

Just to add my opinion, I don't like the AUC pattern. It really does not camo as well as either woodland or desert in their environment. The digital pattern is excellent camo when looking through night vision, though. The Marines got it right with the woodland and desert digital camo.

Pretty good looking paint job. Definately paint the part of the mag that is showing while installed in the gun. I would keep the dry film on the mag body that goes inside the magwell. Mask it off with tape and paint the rest.

IIRC, the US Army recently modified the AUC pattern to include more of a green tint.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:03:52 PM EDT
Cool, then that will probably be different then what I have had contact with.

--Josh
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:20:00 PM EDT
Good Job!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:45:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:27:51 PM EDT

Sure, there are some terrains where the AUC will fit. Woodland is definately not one of them. Even solid white works in one environment. The point is that no one pattern will be effective universally. IMO, it is an example of the Army putting cost saving ahead of Soldier welfare.

Unfortunately I have to agree. Cass at militarymorons did some great comparison pics using AUC, Multicam, Tri-Color Desert, and Woodland...maybe a few others, I'm not sure. I'm not looking forward to wearing the new uniform. Most of my friends who have them don't like the ACU's either, except for the ease of not ironing them or shining boots. They do like the arm pockets, but that's about it from all the guys I've training with who already had them.

Regardless of what I think of the AUC's versatility, I think you did a great job on the finish. I'd love to figure out how someone like me who also has a .edu email addy could afford a Nightforce...any trade secrets. All kidding aside, great job.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:33:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CitySlicker:

I hope so...though I wish the Army would have done like the USMC and made TWO color schemes for woodland and desert, rather than trying to make a cureall. I just don't think it's versitile enough in it's current state. And I concur with the comment about how badly it fades. I trained with a bunch of guys who'd had them a while, and theirs were FADED, real hard.

IIRC, the US Army recently modified the AUC pattern to include more of a green tint.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:17:59 AM EDT
I love it and in fact I have a similar project in the works right now. I have the peel and spray templates and I don't think you've given yourself enough credit for the amount of work you did modifying them. As supplied you cannot get that kind of digital density.

I chose colors that are very similar but darker overall. For instance, I will be using Coyote Brown for the light color, green grey for the medium color and combat grey for the dark.

Very impressive

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:22:22 AM EDT
Nice paint job!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:47:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 3:05:24 PM EDT by MonkeyGrip]
I like the ACU camo colors and pattern. It seems close to the colors of the "northern steppe" terrain of eastern washington where I live and doesn't seem too bad for general urban either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:50:36 AM EDT
ya its more versatile then multicam thats for sure.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:23:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

just the wrong color for desert.

But, as painted on that gun, it works in the high-desert of Arizona. Thus why I like it.

Exactly what I was thinking...looks like the perfect Prescott gun...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:39:54 AM EDT
Worked over and re-hosted for you shootsenmeister, tried to bring out the contrast in the camo. Sticks link seems to have gone tits up.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:00:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 12:03:35 PM EDT by TimJ]

Also for those that do not know, duracoat is Sherwin Williams POLANE® T Polyurethane Enamel paint.

For real? <off to Sherwin Williams.....>

edit-forgot to add that's a good looking rifle! Nice job.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:11:23 PM EDT
kinda pointless to have all that camo with all that black on it. I really dig that paint job and setup though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:17:42 PM EDT
A big thanks to all who replied. I currently have more pictures for those who are interested. I never did list my list of parts but again no one asked. The barrel that is currently on the rifle is a custom Chrome Lined and fluted Giffman Med Length that I will soon be selling. It is reliable and accurate but it is not as accurate as I hoped it would be. I have a Pac Nor barrel form ADCO headed my way soon. If anyone is interested in the old barrel I will be posting it in the EE soon. First I will bead blast it and recoat it with DuraCoat Matt Black and put a standard A2 front sight back on the barrel. I have yet to determine a selling price. If anyone has anymore questions about this rifle please ask. I am currently on leave and will have more time than usual to write / read replies.
Thanks again
shootsenmeister
Top Top