Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 9:01:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 9:02:18 PM EST by ExtraZero8]
I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with the Model 1 Sales ARs uppers in 7.62. I was thinking of buying one and Bushmaster lower. I have never built or owned an AR, but I would like a more accurate version of my little Chinese RPK clone. I would like to know how the accuracy was out of the 20" barrel version was and how the quality of the parts were. I know Bushmaster is normally one of the best out there, but I haven't seen too much about Model 1 Sales. Thanks for the help guys
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:06:42 PM EST
Good luck finding a reliable magazine...

I had the best luck with USA brand mags.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:09:09 PM EST
Ya, I herd about that. I was hopping the AWB will sunset and it wouldn't be that big of an issue.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:48:28 PM EST
I have a 20" Model 1 upper on a DPMS lower and it shoots fantastic. There is a problem with all the X39 uppers that I have seen and that is firing pin protrusion. This can be fixed by taking some of the collar off of the pin and reconfiguring the taper at the tip. I was shooting Barnaul ammo last weekend at 300 yds at steel plates and could wack them consistantly at 300 yds with that rifle. I use 10 round mags by MWG. They have a different follower in them than others I have seen and work quite well for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:31:35 PM EST
Plateshooter do you use optics or just iron sights. I would like to get an A3 upper so I can mount a scope. The only A3 flattop I could find is the one by Model 1 Sales. The DPMS upper, I think, only comes in A2 and I couldn't find a Colt for the life of me. Well, not one I want to invest in.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:50:52 PM EST
ExtraZ; I have a flat top Model 1 upper. I'm using an 8X scope on it. I could hardly see that plate at 300 with open sights. I do have a Armalite detachable carry handle I use on it sometimes with a NM front sight pin. If you get the flat top, you have many options.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:54:02 PM EST
I'm not a big fan of the 7.62X39 round because of the ballistics. And, although milsurp ammo is cheap in that caliber, finding quality ammo in different weights is difficult.
My opinion is if you are only shooting out to 200 yards the round is OK but it starts dropping like a stone around 250 yards. A 125 gr. bullet with a 150 yard zero drops 10 1/2 " just in the next 100 yards, and drops twice as fast as the .223 at 500 yards.
IMHO is you want an AR, make it a .223 or if you want the big bullet, get the bigger brother.308.
But I don't have any experience personally with the Model 1 Sales ARs uppers in 7.62. Anything after 100 yards, I think an AK makes a good boat anchor.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:00:35 PM EST
ExtraZero8,

I've had the Model 1 Sales 7.62 A3 upper for about 2 weeks now. I've been happy with it so far. as it allowed me to mount an ARMS #40 BUIS with the flip up sight.

You'll be happy with the A3 flattop but there's a couple of cautionary notes:

1. Magazines - Surprisingly the 10 rounders never worked for me. They constantly jammed. The 20 rounders that I got from Cheaper Than Dirt worked extremely well. Go figure..

2. Ammo - I could never get Wolf to work right. Usually 2-3 out of 20 would fail. The primers on Wolf ammo are too hard to fire effectively. Barnaul FMJ and all USA 7.62 work so much better.

Good luck with the Model 1 Sales upper.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:49:05 PM EST
WARDOG I can't really think of a reason to get the 308 over the 7.62X39. I know its more powerful, but in Missouri the shots for deer are normally not over 200 yards. Also the for the price of a 308 AR I get a 7.62 AR and bi-pod/scope&rings/mags, also I already have the ammo for it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 308 AR, but I am trying to keep cost under $900.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:04:04 PM EST
check out the DPMS .308 very affordable and I've heard a lot of good things about it
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:17:32 PM EST
I looked at the DPMS 308. Its going for about $900 around here. If I got that I would have to get a better scope than what I planed for the 7.62. I was only thinking of a $50 scope out of a vendor in The Shot Gun News. I would feel cheated with that type of rifle and less than great glass for it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:50:16 AM EST
I like my X39er. I had Model 1 do me a Dizzy and it shoots great. I use the English STEEL mags and they work good up to 15 rounds. Though I would love some Frankenmags for it. But I have the plastic ones also and the 10 rounder works better than the 5 for me. It is by no means a perfect setup, but for stalking deer in NW Arkansas it allows me to carry the AR in a more suitable caliber for the task. I know people kill deer with the 223......But it's a little light by my way of thinkin'.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:59:19 AM EST
Assuming you already have an AR15, the nice thing about the 7.62x39 AR is that you only have to purchase the upper receiver assembly whereas with the AR10 you have to buy a whole 'nother rifle and mags. BIG difference in price for someone working on a budget. And as long as you aren't fantasizing about sniping people at 10,000 yards, the 7.62x39 is plenty adequate for typical woods hunting ranges. Ballistically, it's more or less on par with the Win 30-30 which as we all know has been proving itself as a sufficient medium game caliber for over a century now. I wouldn't feel undergunned going after deer in the woods with either of my 7.62x39 AR15s.

My personal recommendation would be to find a Colt 7.62x39 upper receiver assembly as they use higher quality materials and manufacturing procedures that help ensure a better product. They pop up in the Equipment Exchange from time to time.

Good luck with your decision.
Top Top