Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2004 7:48:32 PM EDT
Can the AR-15 be modified into a highly accurate and consistently precise rifle? If so, what are some weapon mods than are recommended. (Im looking already to get a bipod first, any suggestions) Price is not an option, I can always save up money.

-------
-------
Secondly,
Ive only shot an AR-15 in a shooting range. I had never shot one until then. It was insane! I fell in love with that rifle instantly. My girlfriend loved it too. The rifle seemed more accurate than a lot of bolt-action hunting rifles I had shot before. Im looking to get one in the future and figured why not ask my questions and leave my comments here. Oh, Im new... and Hello All.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
to answer your question yes  just a few examples, the MK11 Mod 0, USMC East and Westcoast SAM, i have around 4000 into my ar10 and it will shoot with the m40 all day,  with handloads and a great barrel you can get the rifle to hold 1/4 inch groups.

for example my build
ar10a4            1500
arms SIR         400
crane stock     250
KAC  trigger    250
optics              1000
krieger barrel  500
bipod               100

you can do sooo much just take a look at the semi aut picture section in the precision riffle section in the armory .  its like a big black hole that sucks the money out of your pocket.  have fun
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure.  Half MOA is reasonable.  Start with a high-quality match barrel, a free-float tube, and good optics on good mounts.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes

The Army & Marines use AR variants for exactly that:

Look up:
SPR (Army)
SAM (USMC)

Some Special Ops units have the Knight's SR-25 or some other AR-10 variant...

And so on...

A 20" A2-style AR with irons can easily be a 1MOA gun or better...

Accurized ones can do .5-.25MOA easy, depending on build quality, etc...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#4]

The orange dot is 1.5" in diameter.  Range was 220 yards.    I adjusted the scope down a few clicks after the first shot.  That's quarter-MOA right there.

[ link to LARGER image ]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice, Zak!  What type of barrel and scope is that?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nice, Zak!  What type of barrel and scope is that?

It's a JP CTR-02 rifle, using JP's medium contour barrel, 20".
The scope is a Leupold 4.5-14X M1.

-z
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Accurate??? yes in deed... and it surprized me too..
I'm fairly new to this AR stuff, but it have a Post Ban Oly it had a 22 or 24 inch  heavy bbl. I was shooting at the range all summer at 200 meters and on a police  target getting all the hits on  the black part, upper chest. and believe me, those iron sights are mighty big on that target. i kept a good sight picture, same one all the shots, and i was on target.
Just a few weeks ago, i got a Model 1 (ya i know,some aren't too good, but i must of lucked outhI couldn't choose where on the target i wanted to hit, (head shot, lower part of target, or chest) but i just aimed for center mass.
I get a kick out of our qual coarse, we shoot at 25 FEET with the AR's. ain't that something???hinkhehave fun, and be sure to SHOOT the darn thing. only way to improve.
Trapper....hug.gif
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle Zak. Id like something that looks similair to that one.

I love the ironsights on the ar-15... they are big. But it makes target visibility so much better.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Hopefully one of these in SS will be what I am looking for. Topped with a Leupold VX-II 3-9X. Mmmmm. Like a wet dream come to life.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#10]
FYI

Navy Mk 11 is based on the SR-25. This is a 0.308/7.62x51 rifle
Navy Mk 12 is the 5.56x45 "SPR".
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:09:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Both 1/2MOA rifles, when I do my part.  SPR and SAM-R clones.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:10:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sure.  Half MOA is reasonable.  Start with a high-quality match barrel, a free-float tube, and good optics on good mounts.

.....and there you have it!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:27:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Just like with cars, the more money you spend, the faster you can go. With rifles, the more money you spend, the tighter your groups assuming the shooter is very good.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top