Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2016 9:30:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2016 9:46:48 AM EDT by radian23]
I have a new ar15 that I am building and it will not cycle. It has a Noveske 14.5 barrel and a MicroMOA Govnah. When firing the dust cover stays shut indicating it is not unlocking to eject. I followed the instructions to install the Govnah on their website and verified gas port alignment with a drill bit. The drill bit went through the top of their block and all the way into the bore. I went ahead and swapped it for a standard low profile gas block and still nothing.

I then checked the bolt carrier group and after firing the gun single shot for about 30 shots there is no carbon on the bolt. I tried to blow air through the gas key and can not. I assume I should be able to blow air through the gas key correct? I am able to fill up the key with CLP and it sits in it like a cup.

Edit:

Decided to change out the CLP for Kroil. It just sits in there.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:56:09 AM EDT
Yes, you should be able too.

Bcg manufacturer? Might want to shoot them an email. I wouldn't shoot anymore. A bolt not unlocking is putting a lot of stress on those lugs.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:19:27 AM EDT
It's a Noveske Rca Black Nitride BCG.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:26:47 AM EDT
Do you have another to throw in just to verify when you contact noveske? The most common problem you've already addressed . If it was a cheapy I'd say remove the key, fix it, and try your hand at restaking. I'd definatly contact nov. but they will probably ask if you tried another bcg to verify.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:40:20 AM EDT
Unfortunately I'm helping a buddy with putting this together and all of my stuff is about 300 miles away. I'll probably swap out the BCG next week. Already sent an email to Noveske with the picture.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:56:18 AM EDT
Sounds like the BC didn't get drilled, or teh key isn't through and through.

Out of curiosity, your friend didn't try to clean teh BCG beforehand did he, and get something stuck in teh key?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:20:58 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
Sounds like the BC didn't get drilled, or teh key isn't through and through.

Out of curiosity, your friend didn't try to clean teh BCG beforehand did he, and get something stuck in teh key?
View Quote

Nope. We just pulled it apart and lubed all recommend points. I tried to stick a sewing needle down gas key and needle stops here.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:54:39 PM EDT
You got a bad/incompletely machined carrier key there - send it in for factory replacement unless you're impatient and want to do it faster yourself with replacement parts.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 6:31:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:28:09 PM EDT
As an update I was able to speak with Noveske technical support. I was informed this was not the first they have had this happen to. These bolt carrier groups are made by RCA (Rubber City Armory). When these are polished they use a resin to polish everything. The resin got stuck in the carrier key basically clogging it. I was told I could boil it to get it out or I could do an RMA. I decided to do an RMA rather than using a pot from the kitchen.

If you have a one of these BCGs or one from RCA I would recommended you check it out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:01:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2016 9:04:44 PM EDT by Dano523]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:16:03 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By radian23:
As an update I was able to speak with Noveske technical support. I was informed this was not the first they have had this happen to. These bolt carrier groups are made by RCA (Rubber City Armory). When these are polished they use a resin to polish everything. The resin got stuck in the carrier key basically clogging it. I was told I could boil it to get it out or I could do an RMA. I decided to do an RMA rather than using a pot from the kitchen.

If you have a one of these BCGs or one from RCA I would recommended you check it out.
View Quote

This sounds unlikely. It would take a lot of resin to clog a carrier key. Just sayin'
check it out with the paper clip and boiling water and see if it works, we will all be smarter for your experience.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:22:02 PM EDT
Sorry guys. It's already in the mail.
Top Top